No announcement yet.

any old racers remember OCIR .........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any old racers remember OCIR .........

sounds like a fun time ....... i used to race there in the early 80's until 1983 when they closed their doors !!!

"if it's too loud you're too old !!! "sigpic

bring it back

Comment

just filled out the registration form and can't wait !!! ............would be very cool to meet some of my friends from there
      Last edited by oldschoolcamaro; September 27, 2011, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Yup, I made my first runs down a dragstrip there. Really miss that place.

Comment

i spent all of my free time @ OCIR while stationed over next door at MCAS El Toro , i used to drive my BBC powered 68 camaro from the auto hobby shop on base to the track with open headers and slicks and the MP's weren't not always happy with me . i remember hanging out with fast eddie ,john youngblood just to name couple and quite a few others . i wish they never closed the track down as it was state of the art facility for it's time and the tower was awesome to watch the races from

here's some pics i found and these are from around 1981-83 time frame

Comment

Yep, if you lived in SoCal and were into hot cars It was OCIR for 64 funny cars or a "fox hunt", SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!!

The bottom picture is Gary Denshim ablaze. I was sitting on the dirt burm past the finishline lights at OCIR when he lit this one up....
            Attached Files
            There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Originally posted by Dynoroom View Post
              Yep, if you lived in SoCal and were into hot cars It was OCIR for 64 funny cars or a "fox hunt", SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!!

The bottom picture is Gary Denshim ablaze. I was sitting on the dirt burm past the finishline lights at OCIR when he lit this one up....

yep OCIR is definately hallowed grounds for sure !!! ..... it was the place to be anytime the gates were open

Comment

Those Datsun bodied floppers were cursed!
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

was out there as a kid was there til 74 grand dad took me all the time. there and riverside. was like from 8 years to13years old sure i saw all the famous ones with out knowing it

Comment

Sadly I never made it to OCIR even though we only lived 10 miles away. My dad and I prefered the "roundy round" stuff at Ontario Motor Speedway. I may have to run over to the reunion on my lunch hour (or just take the day off), it's only a few miles from work.
                    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

just found this .............. conflict of dates for the OCIR reunion forces cancellation until next year !!

Comment

just got an email back from the event organizer .....

I'm very sorry to have inconvienenced you, due to the fact that there is so many automotive events going on that time of year, like SEMA, the final races for the NHRA heritage series, the CHRR, divisional races, NHRA finals and to boot, Don Prudhomme is holding an open house at his shop in Visa the same day and time frame. Myself and the other promoters decided it was best to postpone this event to next summer to comemerate the 45 year opening of OCIR. Hope to see you there...Hans

Comment

OCIR sure does bring back memories......had my son in the stands when he was 4 months old ('76). It was heaven compared to the midwest strips (U.S. 30, Union Grove).
                          Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

Another great place that made drag racing what it is today.

There are so many drag strips that will live on in our memories forever. The places are long gone but the memories last forever.

Jimbo

Comment

One of the cars in our back yard has a vintage OCIR sticker on the window. The car is a POS duster that belongs to a friend, who needs to take it to its forever home. His tires said Drag "something" but he blacked out the "something" long ago, so I have written in whiteout "queen". HA
                              There used to ba a bumper sticker that said "Ditch the Bitch lets Go Racing" and I am pretty sure he has never raced any of his cars...
                              He has quite a few stickers on that car so I have been adding some in between his, Hello Kitty, a "rainbow" and those fish from the disney movie.

Hey! All's fair if you leave it parked in my yard for that long...

~Gail
                              Last edited by LORENSWIFE; October 3, 2011, 07:52 AM.
                              That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Working...
                              X