Road trip- sights to see

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road trip- sights to see

So Im finally starting to plan out my self-proclaimed graduation gift- my cross country roadtrip. This is still a ways off, but how long can it take to plan out over 5,000 miles of roadtrip? exactly! I'm not up to date on what there is out there, and how to get there. I want to avoid toll roads best I can, except through some areas of the BFE to make some time. The places I know for sure I want to get to-
    -Grand Teton national park
    -Grand canyon
    -Boneyard in arizona(well, a lot in Arizona- Tucson, grand canyon.)
    -pacific coast highway
    -few days in LA. My aunt lives in the 'burbs, so Ill spend 4-5 days there alone.

What would you all reccommend? Im already planning on 3-4 weeks at least out there, so time is no issue! I'll be calling in favors to family, friends, distant cousins, for nights on a couch or a shower so I can spend more time out there by spending less on hotels. Guess I'll be a bum for a month!

Oh, and transportation- Mustang most likely wont be making this. not much storage, extra tanks of Methonal would take up space, staggared tires in odd sizes (good luck finding a 315mm tire in the boonies). Current frontrunner? The 66 Thunderbird, with some modern rubber, updated radio, and Ive been looking at some of those EZ-EFI 'carburetors'. hm...
    Local person
    sigpic

Buy a National Park annual membership, it gets you in any of the parks. Then try to hit as many as possible. I did this with my wife in 2002. Awesome time.

Definitely hit those you mentioned plus Yellowstone, Glacier if you get up that far, Zion, there are so many great ones. Can't remember the name of a great one we camped near on an indian reservation with native dwellings preserved up on a cliff and you could drive your 4x4 into the canyon if you wanted...

Also if you are military get the book with all the bases and lodging options, there are some REALLY good ones for small money.

Buy a tent for some starry nights (Death Valley was awesome at night.)
    1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

You are welcome to stay at our house if you feel like getting to San Diego, we have plenty of room and there is a lot to see here.

67pete300, could that have been Canyon de Chelly in Arizona with the Cliff dwellings?
      The Indian stuff in Arizona is a national treasure!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	WH-ruin-small[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	857790

~Gail
      That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

THere is also some interesting stuff to see in northern New Mexico

We seem to only have man made touristy stuff down here in southeast AZ....but there is some amazing displays of nature up north. And drive thru the mountains in central AZ, down route 191, if you have the opportunity.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Michigan 28 and 2 are very scenic drives, and the drive past Houghton where Walt goes to school up to Copper Harbor is breathtaking this time of year. You simply have to drive through teh UP at some point in your life, and the season doesnt matter so much, but summer and fall, specifically the last week of September, are the best. Winter is interesting, but often all you will see is white, more white, and a couple of trees on the side of the road. If the wind isnt blowing and we dont have lake effect snow, bring sunglasses and enjoy a winter wonderland.

Summers up here are simply awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
            67pete300, could that have been Canyon de Chelly in Arizona with the Cliff dwellings?
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]5211[/ATTACH]

~Gail

Yes! That's the one. We hadn't heard about it before and it turned out to be one of our favorites. Thanks Gail!
            1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Originally posted by 67pete300 View Post
              Buy a National Park annual membership, it gets you in any of the parks. Then try to hit as many as possible. I did this with my wife in 2002. Awesome time.
              Pete hit the nail on the head, it is the best bang for your buck. Even though I'm from the Canadian prairies I have been to all the places that have been named going west of Colorado over the last few years.
              You have too many beautiful places to see in your country so choose your route carefully, I found it's pretty easy to put on 5000 miles and you want to take some time enjoying the places you go to.
              I couldn't tell you my favorite cause there are too many to count. I guess your trip also depends on where you start from as to where the best places to go are.

Comment

Originally posted by 67pete300 View Post

Definitely hit those you mentioned plus Yellowstone, Glacier if you get up that far, Zion, there are so many great ones. Can't remember the name of a great one we camped near on an indian reservation with native dwellings preserved up on a cliff and you could drive your 4x4 into the canyon if you wanted...

Also if you are military get the book with all the bases and lodging options, there are some REALLY good ones for small money.

Buy a tent for some starry nights (Death Valley was awesome at night.)
                Park membership is a good idea! I never even thought to look into that- I'll check it out now.

No 4x4- 66 T-Birds were rwd ;)

Tent was on the list- I was hoping to camp out in a few parks along the way, or in a pinch if no hotels are around.

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
                You are welcome to stay at our house if you feel like getting to San Diego, we have plenty of room and there is a lot to see here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5211[/ATTACH]

may take you up on that! Never know where I'll end up.

I remember those!!! I went up there back in 5th grade with the family- then lost all my photos (pre-digital). I should go back

~Gail

Originally posted by starterguy View Post
                I couldn't tell you my favorite cause there are too many to count. I guess your trip also depends on where you start from as to where the best places to go are.
                Start/end point is my house in Albany, NY. because of that, most things in the NE/PA/NJ are being passed over.
                Local person
                sigpic

Comment

If you come this way, let me know I will get you on base and give you the nickle tour

i suggest the grand canyon, painted desert, petrified forrest.

The PCH, the redwood forrest,

Zion nat'l park

you can bring camping gear and look for KOA camp grounds...some have cabins....super cheap to stay at them...thats what I am planning for this summer for me and my boys
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I don't know how far east your trip will take you, but the Blue Ridge Parkway through Virginia and North Carolina is beautiful.

Comment

You can't go wrong with the Rocky Mntns in Colorado this time of year .... Wonderful colors, warm days and cool nights. The Elk and Moose are starting to move down to the lower elevations so they are a lot easier to watch. I know that the next few weekends are what we refer to as "Elk Days" up in Rocky Mountain National Park (I hear there is also some snow up there already) and Trailridge road is open again, after snow last week. Of course there is The Great Sand Dunes in So Colo .... it's still nice and warm down there. The Western Slope has a ton of scenery around the grand mesa .... think mini grand canyon stuff. There is a park called Black Canyon .... yup, all rock formations, etc are black. Good hiking, camping and scenery.
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                        If you come this way, let me know I will get you on base and give you the nickle tour

you can bring camping gear and look for KOA camp grounds...some have cabins....super cheap to stay at them...thats what I am planning for this summer for me and my boys
                        For a base tour, Ill make that trip!

KOA?
                        Local person
                        sigpic

Comment

Kamp grounds
                          Of
                          America

I did a similar trip in the spring of '94 starting in Chicago.
                          In three weeks we hit
                          Dallas - family
                          San Antonio - more family
                          Carlsbad caverns NM - the bat caves - whoa - DESOLATE areas out there.
                          Grand Canyon - I've never fealt so small!
                          Phoenix - friends
                          Vegas
                          Denver - friends
                          Badlands / mount rushmore

Then drove back to college in a flash to retake a class I failed! DOH!

66 'bird - that's huge by large by comfy enough to sleep in if you have to.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

If you are using the 5,000 number to budget fuel against, I'd add at least another 3,000 to that, or more if you are planning a whole month. It's pretty easy to rack up 400 a day in the western US, especially when mentioning Grand Tetons, Southern Arizona and PCH all in one trip. Pack some cushions to sit on too, iirc, those T-bird seat's aren't too comfy for the long haul, at least my Dad's '65's weren't and my '67 T-birds are barely tolerable after 500 miles.

Other than that, sounds like fun! If you find yourself rolling through Ely let me know!

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                            Depends if it has bench seats or not. The '65 T-bird layout absolutely sucks for any kind of sleeping other than completely upright. All seats are essentially buckets that barely recline. Don't know if the '66 was any different.
                            Last edited by TheSilverBuick; September 30, 2011, 09:04 AM.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                              Kamp grounds
                              Of
                              America

I did a similar trip in the spring of '94 starting in Chicago.
                              In three weeks we hit
                              Dallas - family
                              San Antonio - more family
                              Carlsbad caverns NM - the bat caves - whoa - DESOLATE areas out there.
                              Grand Canyon - I've never fealt so small!
                              Phoenix - friends
                              Vegas
                              Denver - friends
                              Badlands / mount rushmore

Then drove back to college in a flash to retake a class I failed! DOH!

Sound like you had a good trip!

Vegas wasnt on my list, but my (female) friend says she will come and kill me if I dont stop by. The girlfriend wasnt happy with that one!

And that the plan! Could take the little 98 cavalier econobox- but god knows I dont want to be the one sleeping in THAT!

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                              If you are using the 5,000 number to budget fuel against, I'd add at least another 3,000 to that, or more if you are planning a whole month. It's pretty easy to rack up 400 a day in the western US, especially when mentioning Grand Tetons, Southern Arizona and PCH all in one trip. Pack some cushions to sit on too, iirc, those T-bird seat's aren't too comfy for the long haul, at least my Dad's '65's weren't and my '67 T-birds are barely tolerable after 500 miles.

Depends if it has bench seats or not. The '65 T-bird layout absolutely sucks for any kind of sleeping other than completely upright. All seats are essentially buckets that barely recline. Don't know if the '66 was any different.
                              Longest trip Ive taken in an oldie is about 100 miles in the chevelle- seats werent bad, but not great. I may do what Scott/Rebel did and put ome modern (junkyard) seats in for the trip. its got factory buckets, with the reclining passenger.

Cant wait to see the trunk loaded up- bag for 2 guys, plus tent, tool, 2 5gal gas cans, and god knows what in terms of spare parts.

Other than that, sounds like fun! If you find yourself rolling through Ely let me know!
                              I'll just make a list- 'Bangshifters whos parties I need to crash' !
                              Local person
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X