Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel cell help, anyone?? ?s about the foam inside....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel cell help, anyone?? ?s about the foam inside....

The sublime Fairlane has a new-as in never has had gas in it-15 year old fuel cell. I have heard where after time, the inner foam turns to jelly and screws the fuel system up with the remains traveling upstream. These are tales from older cells that were used, then left empty or full of gas for a long time. Should I be worried about the new cell/new foam I have? anyone dealt with this?
    Last edited by stage1scott; October 1, 2011, 07:44 PM.
    67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
    05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

It can, if its been used and set dry .. pull it out if you are worried ?

Purpose is to keep fuel from sloshing out , you can get new foam too I think at your local dirtburner speed shop
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigDad View Post
      It can, if its been used and set dry .. pull it out if you are worried ?

Purpose is to keep fuel from sloshing out , you can get new foam too I think at your local dirtburner speed shop
      hmmm-cannot get more than 3 of my fingers in the fill opening, how would I pull it out?

Comment

Find a helper with smaller hands?

You can grab the foam with long pliers until you get enough of it sticking out to pull the rest of it out. If the cell isn't mounted - After you're done, you can shake it upside down and blow it out to remove the little pieces you ripped off.

My hand just barely fits inside the opening in my fuel cell... which is handy when I have had to change the fittings. Removing my hand and the tools is the tricky part. I figure the skin I leave behind will get caught in the filter.

Comment

I'm far from a midget i can reach in and pull mine out ..or as said about, make a tool to pull it to the top and tug it out ..

I was born and razed on the farm , pulled many a calf .. get your hands dirty sally !
          sigpic

Comment

so I poked aorund in there a bit today, foam appears glued down to the bottom of cell. I think I am gonna try 5 gallons of fuel in it and see what happens before I go any further. Discovered some other issues with the car that will need attention before finishing anyhow.....
            Last edited by stage1scott; October 2, 2011, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X