Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard is it to replace a Subaru engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard is it to replace a Subaru engine?

Well, I think the engine in my wife's 99 Forester has had it. It still runs and has 170,000 miles on it. I believe one of the idler pulleys for the cam belt is shot. It's making a horrible squealing noise along with a loud rapping noise which I assume is the cam belt flopping around. The engine also swills oil. I don't bother changing the oil filter...only add oil. Personally I'd like to get rid of it but the wife likes it.

Sooo, I was on ebay looking at engines from Japan. The Japanese apparently have very strict inspection in addition to them only driving about 5000 mikes a year ends up with the cars going to the scrap yard with 30,000 to 60,000 miles. I can pick up a complete used motor with all the accessories for about $1100. There's a place not to far from me that imports these.

How hard is it? what's involved? Doesn't look too hard. The car does need struts all around too and my feeling is that I'm wasting my time and money.
    http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97-98-99-SUBARU-LEGACY-OUTBACK-FORESTER-IMPREZA-2-5L-DOHC-EJ25D-ENGINE-JDM-EJ-/220866904386?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item336cb18142
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

"it doesn't look too hard"

Last time I swapped an engine in a japanese car it was a lot harder than it looked. They make specific castings for specific vehicles, it's fun when the engine you buy doesn't have the mounting bolt boss where the old one did....

Maybe you should drive it in front of a bus and total it. while it still runs
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

Maybe you should drive it in front of a bus and total it. while it still runs

LMAO! I wouldn't want to scratch the paint on the buss.

Actually something on the order of what you said about bolt hole boss has crossed my mind since this is coming from a Japanese market car and mine is a USA version. And you know as well as I do that I'll probably have to remove something from my old motor and bolts break because they seized up.
      Last edited by Huskinhano; October 3, 2011, 07:19 PM.
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Boxer once had a photo of his motor inside what appeared to be a Tupperware container. I think you can handle it.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I know I can handle it but do I want to? Working out in the driveway with the cold weather not far away gives me the chills.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

time for a new car

Comment

just got done hleping a friend swap out his blown engine in his 03 WRX STi. the flat 4 was not to hard. we dropped it out the bottom. i think the forester is the same chassis but i am not sure
              Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
              Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                time for a new car

ding ding ding we have a winner!
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post
                  just got done hleping a friend swap out his blown engine in his 03 WRX STi. the flat 4 was not to hard. we dropped it out the bottom. i think the forester is the same chassis but i am not sure
                  Same platform. Yeah, I was thinking it drops out the bottom too. I guess a dolly under the engine with a cherry picker picking up the car. While I like Subarus, I'm not into fixing this one. Maybe if it was in better shape.
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

is awd really necessary ?

Comment

My Dad attempted to swap the engine in my Step-Mom's brother's Subaru, it was an early 90's model though. Ran into the problem Squirrel mentions. Supposedly this Japanese engine was the same one for the car but it was missing a few things so it didn't plug and play right. Months went by sorting it out and by the time he got it fired up the new/used engine had a bad valve or something in the #1 cylinder, warranty time was up, sent the car to the crusher after four months of a cluster F*&^K. Mind you, my old man at this point had 20 years experience as a mechanic for things that range from Chevy's and Ford's to Forklifts, dozers, 18-wheelers, backhoes, etc. It should of been child's play.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Where the hell is Boxer when we need him???

Nevermind, we wouldn't be able to decipher what he'd be saying anyway.....
                        Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post

I actually understand Barry's replies, I can translate for a small fee...

hey Barry, we're just messin with ya.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

they arer fairly easy to remove..
                              the best ones where the 80's they took 35 minutes to have out and a new clutch in..

Comment

Working...
                              X