Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steel @ $300 a ton in near future???? Kiss your scrap yard finds goodbye......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel @ $300 a ton in near future???? Kiss your scrap yard finds goodbye......

A good friend of mine got wind from some reliable sources that steel might be heading to $300 a ton in the very near future because of a shortage. IF this is the case, you guys may want to go scrounge up every old school motor you can and stock pile them because theyll all be gone. The days of junking will be over :'( No one in their right mind is going to keep crap rusty old cars around im sure theyll be going by the thousands to the scrap yards......anyone have any insight? what say you??? discuss.......

Re: Steel @ $300 a ton in near future???? Kiss your scrap yard finds goodbye......

73....let's say we've got a Cadillac in the neighborhood junkyard.

Let's say it weighs 4000lbs

You really think the guy who owns the yard is going to look at that thing and think it's worth less than 600 bucks in parts? I agree that lots of iron will head to the crusher instead of the pick-a-part, but I really don't see "the end of times" for the junk yard industry.

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Re: Steel @ $300 a ton in near future???? Kiss your scrap yard finds goodbye......

I've scraped a few out. Bought them becaue they were cheaper than buying parts. Took of what I wanted and sraped the rest.Third gen camaros are worth $250. Without wheels .Junk aluminum wheels are at least $10 bucks.

Comment

Brian....I dont think its the end of the junkyard industry but I think it may be the end of "going junking" and finding a decent powerplant for a hundred bucks, those days are scarce anyhow....this could be it

Comment

P.S. lots of cars aren't getting to the junkyard ,they're going directly to the shreader like mine.Have a brother in law how works at an auto auction and there's a standing offer of $310 for any car going thru their beater/junk line.

Comment

Down where I'm at, Pick n Pull had a pretty nice operation going on. Say someone drops off a 93 Thunderbird. They check the car out and if it's in good enough shape, they'll turn around and sell it for a grand (average). If you buy a car there, they'll offer a discount on parts you buy for said T-bird. If it isn't good enough to sell (or they know they can make more off of parts than selling), they put it out in the yard for approx two to three weeks. After that time frame, they crush the car for scrap. I spoke to one of the employees there and he said that they expect to make $500-$1000 off of each car, and that's before scrapping it. Not a bad chunk of change for a $250 investment (average price paid for each car).

With that being said, I think the scrap yards that will get hit the most are you average "Mom and Pop" scrap yards. Corporate scrap yards like Pick n Pull will continue on as usual IMO.

Comment

Alot of the guys who own scrapyards pretty much know what they have in thier yards, the smart ones know which cars bring a premium when it comes to parts and wholesale. When a Shelby Mustang in scrap condition sells for $300. Then we will be in trouble.

Most of the Cars I've seen lately, especially around here where I live, would'nt be worth the time to take them apart to get anything good out of them. Not saying that they are all in that condition, most of them are starting to get there though. Shame.

Comment

I have a very good friend of mine who's been in the wrecking/scraping game for over 60 years. He's the 2'nd largest 'yard operator in the city of Philadelphia. In addition to His Auto-Wrecking Yards(7 'Yards...)and His "Heavy-Industrial" 'Yards(two...),He(and His brother's...)also happens to be my Landlord ;D. This guy has a collection of Cars/Trucks,AND Locomotives(He scraps them on occassion...)that'll blow most people's minds(He's also a hugh Pennsylvania R.R. fan...He collects P.R.R. equipment...)! Honestly,His li'l 'collection' is/probably this city's best kept secret(maybe...). Anyway,in the past few weeks He's been running ads in all the local papers. He's thrown down the Gauntlet,and is now offering folks $400 PER-CAR...(with Title,of course...) :o!! He's not some prick who'll crush just anything,the guy'z DO set the 'good-stuff' aside for the old Car guys,sells the stuff reasonably,too. So,just where IS all this junk headed? There can be only one answer:---CHINA :. ~OO6.

Comment

here(northern va)scrap cars were 11.00 per 100 lbs and has gone down to 9.50

Comment

I drive semi truck hauling scrap,it's $300 a gross ton for cars.In the last week i've seen a 71 4dr Chevelle,1953 Buick and a couple of old trucks hauled in,that looked very fixable.Not counting 100's of other cars that would make nice beaters.

Comment

Re: Steel @ $300 a ton in near future???? Kiss your scrap yard finds goodbye....

hmmm....my bulldozer (it's old and worn out) cost me about a grand a few years ago, and it weighs at least 10,000 lbs.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Cha-Ching!

Brian

Comment

the chinese are hungry

Comment

Are they still building that stinkin' dam over the fault line?

Comment

One rickshaw load of cement at a time....

Comment

Working...
                              X