Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas on finding history of a Winston Cup car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I called Bob Strait and learned almost nothing, the sticker that says sybil is not a car name but a inspection sticker. So no way to tell this car from others he ran in 93-94. I would think ARCA would have had to have a way to ID cars for tech, may try them next.

Comment

Great score Shawn,I know of a motor in your area that would go in that car really well,built 454 with Keith Black pistons good for a two fifty shot on top of whats there.
      Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by CaminoKid View Post
        Great score Shawn,I know of a motor in your area that would go in that car really well,built 454 with Keith Black pistons good for a two fifty shot on top of whats there.
        I think if it's the engine I am thinking of it is going in tubbed 74 Camaro this winter. Really looking forward to ECTA's Ohio meet!

Comment

Well after looking at the pics of the 1992 Daytona winning Davey Allison Thunderbird that sold at Barret Jackson and seing how similar the car looked to mine (I know all stock cars look alike) and knowing that was the same time frame as this car was in Winston Cup I emailed Larry Mac. He was the crew chief for Alison and I thought he could give me a idea on ID on the car. Here was how it went:

I am sure you get letters like this all the time so thank you if you get a chance to read this. I bought a ex ARCA 110" wheelbase Thunderbird (looks to be a super speedway car in my opion, but I have only worked on super late models) the team had ran cars in ARCA with Charlie Glotzback and Bob Strait in 93-94. Car looks to be older than that time frame(oil tank on passanger side for 1 thing) and would think it would have been a Cup car first. Ware would I find any I.D. on the car if it had once been a RYR car? I have looked on the passanger side cross bar of the roll cage and have found no I.D.
          Shawn,
          Unfortunatley, back in the day when I was at RYR, there were no serial numbers or ID numbers on the chassis
          and NASCAR didn't require them back then. The ony way we identified our cars and we really didn't have many
          of them to keep up with, was simply a number on the right side of the frontside of the dash; ex #1, #2, etc.
          Wish I could have been more help.

Thanks for the email,
          Larry Mac

Comment

very cool Larry Mac emailed you back, sucks you cant find out the history of it thou
            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I was very suprised to get a message back, he is way cool for doing so. It is cool to think my car could have been one of the bad ass t birds from 92. As a kid when watching Winston Cup (before the stupid ass chase, nextel/sprint, and COT that combined made quit watching) me and dad just wanted to see Fords win. We liked all the Ford drivers but teams and drivers were less important that a Tbird running up front, and I have a car from that era cool!

Comment

Ahh , make it up

Comment

Working...
                X