Glass Cleaner vs. Brake Cleaner as pesticide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass Cleaner vs. Brake Cleaner as pesticide

Was laying under the volvo in my shop, saw a black widow on the underside of the car. Grabbed a can of brake cleaner (the old kind, from about 10 years ago), blasted her, she dropped to the floor and scurried away, I had to hit her twice more before she stopped. Fortunately I had the tube on the can so distance aiming was easy.

Then I was in the other garage, saw another one on the wall near the floor, no brake cleaner handy, but there was a can of Turtle Wax aerosol glass cleaner. One quick blast, she was a goner.

I learned something today.
    Last edited by squirrel; October 9, 2011, 06:21 PM.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

does it have something to do with the propellant ?
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I like carb cleaner and a lighter ... kills 'em instantly. Works well on wasps too!
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

long way to run to the house to get a lighter. The glass cleaner worked really well. I'm hooked.
        My fabulous web page

Comment

Thanks for the hint Heloise. LOL.I will remember this.Bamfstr never cleans his windows thats why he like brake cleaner.LOL.My mistake he doesnt wax his car.LOL

Comment

I've always preferred carb cleaner. One time I sprayed a black widow with turquoise Krylon because that's all I had handy. I figured if it didn't kill it at least I could spot it easily if it came back.
            Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post
              I've always preferred carb cleaner. One time I sprayed a black widow with turquoise Krylon because that's all I had handy. I figured if it didn't kill it at least I could spot it easily if it came back.
              LOL!
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

window cleaner.. = amonia, it work well

Comment

that's what I was thinking
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

my boss could never figure out why we used so much brake cleen during the spring/summer months . we had a huge glass window which covered the front of the shop above our work bench area and we kept getting bee's flying around and a couple of quick tactical strikes with some brake cleen brought those bee's down quickly ...LOL!!
                    "if it's too loud you're too old !!! "sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post

MMMM turquoise Krylon!
                      That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

there are a few downsides to brake clean.... especially if you're leading your target, a bumble bee, over the top of a freshly painted car. mind you, I wasn't doing the leading, I was simply the owner of the aforementioned, freshly painted car

as an aside, do you know that you can knock someone out with a hammer at 20' over the top of a (hypothetically speaking) freshly painted car and not damage the paint?
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

it's all in the arc, right?
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

This California-imported illegal alien was pretty resillient against my Dutch brakecleaner aswell.
                            Dutch spiders usually turn mushy when blasted a couple of times, but this one was made out of Rambo-DNA I guess. Took quite a bit to get him to stop running off so I could grab something with some more mass.
                            A 2-pound hammer was what it took to make him stop and know he was not welcome in my garage.

Last edited by BigBlockMopar; October 10, 2011, 02:24 PM.
                            www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I had a hummingbird in the shop last week. I had never even seen one of the little guys never mind played host to one. He seemed to be attracted to the lights so I turned 'em off and left him overnight. Then I opened one of the big doors in the morning and left him alone so he wouldn't be frightened by the HUGE human (I'm guessing I looked pretty big to him). Anyhow, he did fly out by 1:00 or so when I went out to work on the handrails for the mezz. Never thought of glass cleaner - but I really didn't want him dead, just gone.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X