Family calls 911 to get rescued from corn maze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family calls 911 to get rescued from corn maze

DANVERS, Mass. — An evening stroll through a corn maze took a confusing turn Monday for a family that became disoriented in the rows of corn and called 911 to ask for help.
    A father and mother with two children used their cellphone to call Danvers Police at 6:32 p.m. reporting that they were lost in the Connors Farm corn maze. Danvers Officer Justin Ellenton responded to the call and entered the corn maze with Connor’s Farm manager Ritchie Potter to search for the family.
    Within nine minutes of entering the maze, Ellenton and Potter found the family. The family had almost found their way out; unbeknownst to them, they were only 25 feet from the street. Police were not releasing the name of the family.
    The 7-acre corn maze is a challenging course, said owner of the farm, Bob Connor. This year’s course with a design cut into the corn of the “Salem Village Headless Horseman” may be trickier than years past Connor said. Other designs from previous years included “Eastwood,” with Clint Eastwood’s face emblazoned through the corn, and "Family Guy."
    “We had a few people who got a bit lost last year, but they found their way out,” Connor said. “There is no wire or fence around the maze, so if they really want or need to get out all they have to do is listen for the sound of traffic.”
    Connor said that the farm has a night security person on hand every night who stays until everybody leaves.
    “We make sure there are no cars left in the parking lot. We don’t want to leave anybody behind in the maze,” Connor said. Connor had just left the farm for the evening when he got a call from a friend who had heard on the police scanner that somebody was stuck in the maze. “They were a really nice family. We offered for them to come back on us and try the maze again – but I think they had enough,” Connors said.

DANVERS, Mass.
    Last edited by BigDad; October 12, 2011, 08:45 AM.
    sigpic

Wow, this happened in my area and now it's gone national huh? I actually saw a couple of people I know being interviewed on some of the local newscasts
    1999 Power Tour - 3 Stops
    2006 Power Tour Long Hauler
    2008-2012 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

Here's one of the local news videos, because this is one of those stories that are hard to believe unless you actually see it for yourself

1999 Power Tour - 3 Stops
      2006 Power Tour Long Hauler
      2008-2012 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

Yankees- what else need be said....
        Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

I heard about this eariler on the radio....
          It's not like it a 20ft high brick wall.....it's corn!
          Originally posted by TC
          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post

HILARIOUS!

But seriously with Halloween fast approaching the incidences of being hopelessly lost in a corn maze will naturally increase. So for all my good friends here I will say, If you go in be ready to be lost and if you have no machete all you have to do is touch the wall with your right hand and start walking never take your hand off the wall, this is guaranteed to get you out alive, watch out for those "children" though!

Click image for larger version

Name:	imagesCAF4NIA2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	858009
            That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

There's a 5-second training exercise about that situation if you're trying out for Navy Seal Team 6.....
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by Orange65 View Post
                lol
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally Posted by Orange65

lol

I wasn't going to go there, but since you did, I was thinking they should have left the daughtuh in the kah and gone to the soopahmot for a bottle of pop instead of doing the corn maze. Just my take on it. Real lucky they didn't die taking such an extreme risk.
                  Last edited by pdub; October 12, 2011, 02:18 PM.
                  Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I suppose OSHA will now require corn maze participants to belt on one of those 10' orange bicycle flags so they can be tracked from outside the cornfield..........and a minimum of two (2) 'corn guards' in elevated chairs to be on duty at all times the cornfield is occupied.......hey, I just created 1,000,000 jobs!
                    Last edited by oletrux4evr; October 12, 2011, 07:35 PM.
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

hay to be fair , it's dark.. and kids get scared...yanks or not... if your kids been scared for an hour or more at some time you say f it and call.. I don't know that I'd call 911.. but... I carry a compass
                      and all those southerners feel free to be dropped in that maze nov.1st when the group of camo wear'n paintball shoot'n are hunting you down..

Comment

My monies on the Southererners in a paintball battle!
                        "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

You know that's what I was thinking..........

Comment

Originally posted by Orange95Z View Post
                            My monies on the Southererners in a paintball battle!
                            no one said they'd have guns

Comment

Who carries a compass to a corn maze?.....stich496, that's who, LOL
                              I was wondering where all the deer around here went, I bet they are stuck in the corn fields and can't get out.
                              Originally posted by TC
                              also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Working...
                              X