Anyone here use Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here use Linux?

One of the DELL terminals at the junkyard took a shit. It blue screened even in safe mode.
    So I decided to try out Ubuntu 11.04(Linux) for the first time, & I like it a lot! It installed in about 15 minutes, was a little buggy at first but I resolved that problem, then spent hours tweaking it.
    I officially like Linux, & I'd like to put it in my own PC's.

Anyone here use it?

First installed Slackware 2.0 in 1994. Been using Linux or other posix-compliant operating systems at my day job ever since :-)
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I like either Linux or Unix (I never can remember which), but only because I'm a Mac guy. So, no help at all - I know nothing else (except the old Mac OS).

Dan

Comment

I use Redhat at work and Ubuntu at home (though not very often at home). I like the old GNome environment, the new tablety thing drives me nuts so I might switch to KDE. I'm liking Linux in that I can do a lot of file and data manipulation using bash but for "normal" stuff it's a bit cumbersome and I'll stick to windows. Windows 7 is pretty good.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I think you have to add "geek" to your username to be able to make linux to do what you want

I've been playing with linux for about 12 years, the latest versions are actually useable, but I still have no reason to use it on a day-to-day basis.

I think I'm too old, is the problem.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

what ever happened to redhat?
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

the fedora thing? I think you can find out about it on Wikipedia, although I'm sure the story you get will be slanted

I have a sealed in the box redhat distro....from the 90s.... version 3.0.3
              My fabulous web page

Comment

I hate to say it - but I think I actually like windows 7.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The ME dept computers run Red Hat, the Math dept and CS dept computers run Fedora. I have to use them a lot, so I am fairly good with using those and the terminal interface on those. My personal laptop has windows 7 on the master boot disk and ubuntu 11.04 on the slave. Ubuntu has all of my "work" programs- mathematica, java IDEs, photo editing, video editing, vector graphic editing, word processing, and spreadsheet and anything else I use for work related tasks. Ubuntu has a slightly different set of terminal commands that I haven't learned so well, but the GUI is good enough I don't need them.

Comment

I prefer the terminal for most things, except for I'm not good enough with smbclient to do filetransfers the way I want over the network so I have to use the GUI for that. If the IT guys would mount the network drive for me then I could actually do something.

We have Redhat because as the USG we can't use freeware. Ubuntu is verboten.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                      I think I'm too old, is the problem.
                      You're not too old. The problem is, Linux makes a lousy desktop environment.

It's when you need any type of server environment that Linux really starts to shine. Linux is at the heart of most of the largest web servers, and most important networking and telecom devices used today.

We have Linux servers configured in large arrays that are shuffling as many as 40 million email messages per day...

But for a workstation, I use Windows. It's the least hassle to do what I need to do every day.
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I use it to run my websites with. Seems pretty usefull for that task.

Other than that I use OSX for the more important things like getting work done at work and spending time at home.
                        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Ubuntu. Love it, love it, love it.
                          Shelter animals make great pets

Comment

I have not tried it in forever.
                            redhat 6.2 is where I left off..

I have a worksation running in dynamic paging mode, dual channel 72 bit ECC..and windows won.

back at pentium 2 older.. unix was really everything.. windows was trying to make things easy. it is really separated realms now.
                            add last gen agp and 5 billion transistors to a last gen vid card..and its bye bye unix.

the nt kernel memory management is still not disrespected. Windows is "lucky" to have that..
                            for real focused work, serious security.. unix is never going to die.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                              I have not tried it in forever.
                              It's way different....give it a try.
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                              X