No announcement yet.

RIP Dan Wheldon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

he was without a ride for next year and had just that morning signed up to replace danica, next year..
    who thought it was a good idea to have 33 OPEN WHEEL cars on a 1.5" mile track, that was just asking for a "big one" in an indy car..

Comment

Rick Huseman, off-road racing champion, dies in plane crash

Champion off-road racer Rick Huseman was killed this afternoon in a plane crash near Barstow, California. While unrelated to the death of Dan Wheldon, it's another sad occasion in what will long be remembered as a dark day in motorsports history.
      The accident occurred approximately 2:00 pm Sunday afternoon when the plane, a Beach 33 Bonanza, was attempting to make an emergency landing at the Barstow/Dagget Airport. Huseman and his family were returning from the Monster Energy Cup held in Las Vegas last night. According to DIRTNewz, his younger brother Jeff was one of the three people killed. It's unclear who the third victim is.
      Huseman has been racing 1997 and was the first PRO4X4 Traxxas TORC Series Championship in 2009, garnering six wins and 10 podium finishes. In 2010, Husman won the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series Pro-4 Championship. He was in second place in the 2011 Lucas Oil Series following the most recent race in Arizona, just 23 points behind the leader.
      Huseman was 38 years old.

By Matt Hardigree

Comment

Mark, they always run 33 cars, they had 34 out there for the final race due to a promotion they were running.

Not saying you are wrong on the risk factor, just giving the reason.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Are they going to do an autopsy to see what exactly he died from? They still have those black boxes that mesure G's at impact too don't they?
          Sad story indeed, I feel for his friends and family
          Originally posted by TC
          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

didn't know he was a Reagan Man
            October 16, 2011 22:26 ET
            Statement on Behalf of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation on the Passing of Dan Wheldon

SIMI VALLEY, CA—(Marketwire - Oct 16, 2011) - The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation expresses sincere sympathy to the family of Dan Wheldon, whose injuries at the IndyCar race today in Las Vegas resulted in his tragic death. Dan, a Reagan Foundation supporter, drove the Bryan Herta Autosport and Curb/Agajanian 98 car that won the Indianapolis 500 in May bearing the Reagan Centennial Seal. A wreath has been placed in his honor by his 98 Show Car, which is currently on display at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
              Mark, they always run 33 cars, they had 34 out there for the final race due to a promotion they were running.

They only normally run 33 cars at Indianapolis, the other races are typically 20-25 cars. When CART ran at Vegas (before the re-banking of the track) they only ran 18 cars at speeds of abotu 205MPH.

Comment

My bad. I misinterpreted what I was reading.

Watching the video of the crash, it is incredible how close those guys run to one another with their wheels out in the breeze. No margin for error.
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post

might want to recheck your facts or blast mine,, but I think the drivers would know, there was 10 more cars than normal on the track.. per all the reports I've got..

Comment

33 always start the indy 500 , 11 rows of three , not sure bout the other races

Comment

I'm sure they talked about potential traffic problems during the driver's meeting. Racers are racers and they are going to push the envelope. They are all professionals, and they know what happens in open wheel cars when tires touch......somebody made an error in judgement. I've been an Indy car fan for 50 years.....and I am still amazed that this doesn't happen more often. Dan was a super nice guy and he'll be missed, no doubt.
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

sorry to hear this!!! prayers from kansas!!
                        COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                          I'm sure they talked about potential traffic problems during the driver's meeting. Racers are racers and they are going to push the envelope. They are all professionals, and they know what happens in open wheel cars when tires touch......somebody made an error in judgement. I've been an Indy car fan for 50 years.....and I am still amazed that this doesn't happen more often. Dan was a super nice guy and he'll be missed, no doubt.
                          drivers meeting or not, that be like putting all the nationwide cars ,spint cars and the trucks on the track at bristal or martanville,
                          and say'n give each other some room and be safe at a drivers meeting.. they knew going in that this was going to cause a "big one" only difference is these cars the drivers head flapps in the wind..
                          want to have 34 cars fine have 2 heats then the feature, the guy that thought this work, is a complete dolt..

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
                            drivers meeting or not, that be like putting all the nationwide cars ,spint cars and the trucks on the track at bristal or martanville,
                            and say'n give each other some room and be safe at a drivers meeting.. they knew going in that this was going to cause a "big one" only difference is these cars the drivers head flapps in the wind..
                            want to have 34 cars fine have 2 heats then the feature, the guy that thought this work, is a complete dolt..
                            complete dolt? you realize how ironic that is considering the source. I'm quite sure the "dolt" that manages to (a) get off his ass and (b) get a job with (c) a racing sanction probably had a lot more (d) issues to deal with than what some (e) assclown on the internet believes is a simple answer.

Have youever considered that you MIGHT not have a clue about what it takes to put on an event in a series like that? and what it makes you look like when you spout off comments as if YOU had even the basic qualifications to be that guy's secretary? get real. You don't know the answers because you are sitting in a fuggin lawn chair a thousand miles away from what's going on. Put a sock in it, for christ sakes.
                            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Jimmie Johnson said Indy Car should do away with oval racing...
                              When Kenny Irwin, Adam Petty, Dale Sr. died, is anyone from the whole Open Wheel scene said things like that?

Comment

yeah , that is why JJ is the wheel man

no more outrageous than a search engineer calling a nascar license holder stupid ......

Comment

Working...
                                X