X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stich496
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
    Mark, they always run 33 cars, they had 34 out there for the final race due to a promotion they were running.

Not saying you are wrong on the risk factor, just giving the reason.
    might want to recheck your facts or blast mine,, but I think the drivers would know, there was 10 more cars than normal on the track.. per all the reports I've got..

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied
    My bad. I misinterpreted what I was reading.

Watching the video of the crash, it is incredible how close those guys run to one another with their wheels out in the breeze. No margin for error.

Leave a comment:

• chevy3100truck
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
    Mark, they always run 33 cars, they had 34 out there for the final race due to a promotion they were running.

They only normally run 33 cars at Indianapolis, the other races are typically 20-25 cars. When CART ran at Vegas (before the re-banking of the track) they only ran 18 cars at speeds of abotu 205MPH.

Leave a comment:

• SpiderGearsMan
    replied
    didn't know he was a Reagan Man
    October 16, 2011 22:26 ET
    Statement on Behalf of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation on the Passing of Dan Wheldon

SIMI VALLEY, CA—(Marketwire - Oct 16, 2011) - The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation expresses sincere sympathy to the family of Dan Wheldon, whose injuries at the IndyCar race today in Las Vegas resulted in his tragic death. Dan, a Reagan Foundation supporter, drove the Bryan Herta Autosport and Curb/Agajanian 98 car that won the Indianapolis 500 in May bearing the Reagan Centennial Seal. A wreath has been placed in his honor by his 98 Show Car, which is currently on display at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library.

Leave a comment:

• A/Fuel
    replied
    Are they going to do an autopsy to see what exactly he died from? They still have those black boxes that mesure G's at impact too don't they?
    Sad story indeed, I feel for his friends and family

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Stich496
    replied
    Rick Huseman, off-road racing champion, dies in plane crash

Champion off-road racer Rick Huseman was killed this afternoon in a plane crash near Barstow, California. While unrelated to the death of Dan Wheldon, it's another sad occasion in what will long be remembered as a dark day in motorsports history.
    The accident occurred approximately 2:00 pm Sunday afternoon when the plane, a Beach 33 Bonanza, was attempting to make an emergency landing at the Barstow/Dagget Airport. Huseman and his family were returning from the Monster Energy Cup held in Las Vegas last night. According to DIRTNewz, his younger brother Jeff was one of the three people killed. It's unclear who the third victim is.
    Huseman has been racing 1997 and was the first PRO4X4 Traxxas TORC Series Championship in 2009, garnering six wins and 10 podium finishes. In 2010, Husman won the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series Pro-4 Championship. He was in second place in the 2011 Lucas Oil Series following the most recent race in Arizona, just 23 points behind the leader.
    Huseman was 38 years old.

By Matt Hardigree

Leave a comment:

• Stich496
    replied
    he was without a ride for next year and had just that morning signed up to replace danica, next year..
    who thought it was a good idea to have 33 OPEN WHEEL cars on a 1.5" mile track, that was just asking for a "big one" in an indy car..

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied
    First time I've seen other racers completely in tears over a trajedy. Shows how well liked and respected racer Wheldon was. RIP Dan.

Leave a comment:

• realsteelfreak
    replied
    sad to hear of any racer.RIP.

Leave a comment:

• zombie289
    replied
    So sad to hear, RIP to a talented steerer.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Barlow
    replied
    Seemed truely nice and humble. Heard about the crash from some bicyclists at a trail head. Got out of our evening service checked the internet on my phone . So sad . Rest in Peace. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

Leave a comment:

• mustang13
    replied
    I just heard from a friend, shocking but, a part of racing that we seem to forget now a days with the level of safety in racing.

A great driver.

RIP DW.

Leave a comment:

• IndyShiftman
    replied
    My tribute to Dan. I took this shot through the fence outside turn 3 at the Indy 500.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• nesabo
    replied
    Thoughts and Prayer to his family, RIP

Leave a comment:

Working...
X