Who likes Ni-rod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who likes Ni-rod?

Broke an iron part today which really capped a rough day badly. Got some Ni-rod at a supply shop and they reamed me for $29 a one lb pack of 3/32. Good stuff though; plugged in the Lincoln 225, set it to 60 amps, built-up the broken out area, and cut it back first with 4" angle grinder, then carbide and file finished with a sharp new Nickelson file. Spent about 2 hrs on it but the thing came out as good as new! I felt pretty good about fixing it, and was surprised that the Ni-rod weld could be cut with the carbide and hand filed. Usually the rod is too hard. This stuff was hard, but still workable. UNI-99 rod from Uniweld Products, Inc.

Re: Who likes Ni-rod?

Cool. Glad it worked for you. My experiences with welding cast are, at best, mixed, and that was with a pro weldor.

Dan

Comment

I used certanium rod years ago on an old tractor manifold, its nice to have specialty rod availble for those odd jobs.

Comment

I watched a friend of mine use Ni-rod to weld up a crack in an antique bell for a local church about 10 years ago. Worked great, and as far I know they still use the bell, so the repair must have worked.

Comment

Working...
        X