Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life Imitates Art . . .

Originally posted by Mike Copeland View Post
    Matt King did not get let go because of anything he said about GM.

I was working with Matt, at GM, on the Hot Rod Solstice when he left to take a position with Harley Davison. Harley offered him a sweet deal to come write for them. It was so good, he packed up and left in the middle of the build.
    ". . . . before jumping ship for an industry PR rep gig."

The rumor is a lot more entertaining than your version (especially for the Ford faithful).

Comment

I had dinner with Rob a couple days before the end. I think he got caught in a corporate downsizing. He still posts on Facebook from time to time.
      I guess that "jumping ship" on a golden PR chute part didn't work so good for Mr. Kinnan.

But forget "Facebook" . . . He needs to write for free like all of us "Sad Attn Whores from Farmville" over here at BANGSHIFT.COM!

Sincerely,
      The Dude

Comment

At least Rob outlasted the Pontiac Solstice . . . .

Comment

Rumors are usually more entertaining than the truth............LOL.

Facts always get in the way of a really good story.
          Last edited by Mike Copeland; October 18, 2011, 11:11 AM.
          If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Brighton, MI

Comment

I was working with Matt, at GM, on the Hot Rod Solstice .
            I guess it's also not true that THE KING wanted to swap in a 408W SBF with a 300-shot. Dad gum! The legend is crashing to earth faster than a dead Soviet satellite.

Comment

What do you mean by saying Rob is dead?

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot View Post
                The legend is crashing to earth faster than a dead Soviet satellite.
                You mean German Satellite this week
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot View Post
                  I was leafing through the strangely anorexic December 2011 issue of "Hot Rod" (only 98 pages) and noticed that Kinnan isn't listed on the masthead anymore? What happened? (sorry if I missed this "news" from other sources)
                  I too am not happy about the content of HRM,I just re-upped for 2 years and noticed the new issue doen't even have a spine on it with the issue info on it...they're really screwed up here,magazine looks to be a shell of it's former self.

Comment

Rob said on his facebook page that HRM was bleeding cash. I guess he was the one blamed. Sean Haggai got let go from CHP on the same day, as well as other editors from other mags. I have friends who work for many of the mags and I worry about them.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I completely missed the news the first time around. What a big mistake. I've never had the pleasure of meeting Kinnan personally but I've enjoyed his writing for years, the new issue just isn't the same. Frieburger's great and entertaining as hell but I usually related to Rob more, he seems to come from a closer perspective to mine.

Good luck Rob, I hope to hear from you soon.

This blows goats. Big time.
                      I'm probably wrong

Comment

I do believe that letting Rob go was not in the best interest of HRM, but Rob is a talented and resilient guy. He is also good buds with the top brass at ProMedia (Think NMCA/NMRA) and with their recent aquisition of the NHRA Unleashed series, there may be an opportunity for him to return. Heck, Rob spent many years as the editor of NMRA's publication, Race Pages and he left on good terms.

Whatever path Rob chooses, I am sure he will do just fine.

Ron
                        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

The cash hemmorhage makes sense. The rag is getting thinner all the time, and it's not just HRM or CC. Pretty much all of Source Interlink's "performance automotive group" has shrunk. MMFF used to be a book, now it's what HRM used to be. HRM and CC have gotten anorexic by comparison. More ads means more pages, more money equals more stories. Seems simple enough, but the harsh reality of no money is hard to swallow.

We call it "right sizing" in our industry. Makes me want to barf when they don't have the balls to say what it really is. Layoff. If you weren't around the top of the popularity ranking, you might be updating your resume. Hopefully this turns around before this and many other hobby based industries eat themselves.

I hope the best for Rob. Tedly got it right. The whole thing Blows Goats.
                          (haven't heard that one in a while, it made me laugh)
                          Last edited by Beagle; October 19, 2011, 03:49 AM.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

sounds as stable as the rest of the automotive business

Comment

anything in print is dead...
                              people are stupid..
                              first you had t.v. that was free, but with the promise of better, we now have a cable bill..
                              them they tried that with radio.. worked for awhile then went flat, but they reworked it so you need a new tuner for the hd channels..

see where this is going, print media, when it goes,, the better,fast media will not be free..
                              no matter what anyone says..
                              remember cable you payed for so you didn't have to deal with ad's.. remember that..
                              and mtv was a music channel..

Comment

too bad , I love my collection of oldies , who wants em ?

Comment

Working...
                                X