On Star - where is that located?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Star - where is that located?

commenting on the Colorado, it occurred to me that I wouldn't mind a newer GM but that GPS sumbitch thingy would have to go.

a) where are they?
    b) It should run without it, right?

Yeah, I know, my cell phone has one too. When it has a battery. I'm not doing anything that I'm worried about, just not fond of their capabilities.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Beagle; October 19, 2011, 03:41 AM. Reason: walmart RFID's every pallet
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

THere is a battery in the system that I think can be removed. On my g8 It is in the trunk. I think it can be taken out im sure someone can do it.

Comment

remove the vcim ..yep they run without it

Comment

This link has some neat info on hacking the VCIM and putting it to work for you....

Another good link.

HHR - OnStar Disabling - Hello, I just purchased a new HHR, traded in my old one so I could get the solid rear quarter panel. Now I would like to know if anyone has located the onstar unit on the hhr's yet. I have seen posts on other forums for different vehicles, some say behind the glove box, some say in the trunk....
        Last edited by STINEY; October 19, 2011, 07:25 AM.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Yep, although I bet GM's trying to figure out how to integrate that into the car so they can charge a monthly fee to everyone (with the blessing of the government because it'd be a new way for them to pull more money out of our pockets)...
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

turn by turn directions are pretty neat

Comment

I've thought about signing up my truck due to the long stretches of empty roads I drive and IF I ran off the road from a blow out, or hit a large enough animal (deer, elk, horses, cattle, etc) it'd be nice to have emergency services automatically called. But two things come up, one is I'm not necessarily in a place with cell reception so OnStar may or may not work in those places, and two none of my other cars have it so statistically it's only going to cover a vehicle I drive those stretches only a couple times a year and the vehicles without drive it more often.

Would be handy for unlocking the doors if I pull a BBR or want to abuse the service like Chad
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

ON STAR WORKS WHERE CELL PHONES DON'T
                Marsha Terry’s story:

“Onstar worked where cell phones wouldn’t. I was riding my motorcycle and headed into Death Valley National Park when I took a curve too fast and went off the road. I was injured and bleeding and needed help yet no one’s cell phone would work. A memory that stays with me the most was a gentleman yelling “push the damn button.” I heard him explain to my husband the “damn button” was Onstar. His wife had stayed in their SUV and pressing the Onstar button to get me the help I needed. I couldn’t hear her response but I remember him saying to my husband help is on the way. I could feel the relief in all those around me. A short time later the National Park ambulance arrived and packed me up for delivery to the Furnace Creek airport and an express ride via helicopter to a hospital in Las Vegas. Today I own a vehicle that has Onstar. The day I bought my truck I told the salesman my story. He asked permission to use it when talking with other customers. I was very happy to give my permission since to me Onstar isn’t one of those cute-sie gadgets. It actually saves lives and precious time in emergencies.”

Have you used OnStar to help someone else in an emergency? Tell us about it in the comments below.

Comment

Satellite phone

Comment

The red button works on the satellite phone, but does the automatic accident reporting? Going into a ditch or rolling the vehicle? I rarely see an accident out there that the vehicle wasn't on it's lid at some point during the event. And I refer to my second point as well.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

on all the time , I use it to test them

Comment

We love ours in the HHR - enough to re-up the service annually.

Yep, the whole deal works on sat phone technology. We buy +/- 45 minutes of sat phone time per year for those just in case situations. We were west of the Grand Canyon and needed a motel reservation for that night - in a pet-friendly motel. "No problem, sir. There are 4 listings and 2 do not charge for pet accommodations. May I make that reservation for you?" LOVED that deal!

The down side is that every once in a while you get a bad advisor. One guy tried to give ME directions for a place she wanted to go in the Detroit area by telling her to follow roads that we happen to know are in Dallas. No explanation would shake the advisor. But mostly we get really good info and great help.

To us, it's worth it. In fact, it would be a strong influence on what kind of car we would buy (but now you can get it installed).

Dan

Comment

My Suburban has it, but being an '04, I need to buy a subscription to use it, and that is exactly what it says when I press the OnStar button.........So if your afraid of being tracked by OnStar because the vehicle is equipped with it, I doubt they will do that if your NOT PAYING for it............

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                            My Suburban has it, but being an '04, I need to buy a subscription to use it, and that is exactly what it says when I press the OnStar button.........So if your afraid of being tracked by OnStar because the vehicle is equipped with it, I doubt they will do that if your NOT PAYING for it............
                            has to upgraded to digital

Comment

Working...
                            X