Talladega EFI test For Clean Air and the Children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
    nice try but a fail.. how many million part in those chip's in the ecu..
    Who failed? read carefully. You can run a computerized carb if you WANT to have all the driveability advantages (I have a friend in China who manufactures EFI controllers for carburetors that control AFR, idle speed, etc.). The computer is a *WASH* when comparing parts for parts...

meanwhile, even the lowliest hand-assembled megasquirt will need service less often than a carburetor - if you want to argue it that way, once you try one out you'll be impressed. Look at Randal, he thinks nothing of a 3000+ mile jaunt on his hand-made electronics. All his sensors are available at parts stores too. The electronics don't die unless you do something to cause the smoke to leak out!
    Last edited by dieselgeek; November 1, 2011, 02:20 PM.
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

not knock'n efi d/g I've had my share.. and will have one rodded one, to learn to tune it..
      but to act like a carb needs a rebuild every 40k is a little much..

Comment

not knock'n efi d/g I've had my share.. and will have one rodded one, to learn to tune it..
        Um...not really.

Comment

Originally posted by min301 View Post
          Um...not really.
          then you didn't rebuild it right

Comment

then you didn't rebuild it right
            Well...I stole it from your garage. lol

Comment

Originally posted by min301 View Post
              Well...I stole it from your garage. lol
              haha, so you took spidy's 3310

Comment

No, the o-4781, still in the box

Comment

Who am I kidding...I don't steal...I borrowed

Comment

they should have went with stacks

Comment

40K ??? you can let a carb sit for a couple months and it be all screwed up from that. Nevermind that the carb exposes raw fuel to atmosphere. EFI engines can sit a heluva lot longer with no ill effects.
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

If you dont have to rebuild it before then why is there 25 guys at the track every weekend with the bowls off and half have the whole carb off at the track every weekend?

Driving 40000 miles means you dont care how it runs just so it starts and makes it to the store to buy more chips and back home to the couch. Did you ever ask why all the new GAS engines last 200,000 miles and some even more? You will notice its when they went to EFI. They no longer are washing down the cylinder walls an people driving them with a broke choke pull off for 40,000 miles because they dont need rebuilt
                        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
                          If you dont have to rebuild it before then why is there 25 guys at the track every weekend with the bowls off and half have the whole carb off at the track every weekend?

Driving 40000 miles means you dont care how it runs just so it starts and makes it to the store to buy more chips and back home to the couch. Did you ever ask why all the new GAS engines last 200,000 miles and some even more? You will notice its when they went to EFI. They no longer are washing down the cylinder walls an people driving them with a broke choke pull off for 40,000 miles because they dont need rebuilt
                          how did we ever live without efi.. your a tech, you remember what a tune up intailed.. adj the chock and setting the idle and mix screws is not a rebuild,
                          and I gotta laugh at your "at the track they have the bowls off or the whole carb apart.." that again isn't a rebuild either thats them changing settings,
                          how many efi guys have the laptop beside them and are (use'n your ideals of rebuilding a carb) rebuilding the efi with keystokes..
                          but wait thats different right...
                          a properly mantaned carb doesn't wash cyl walls, never has, a totally out of whack one, ya, so will a efi in default,safe mode.. pig rich and allowed to be run that way..
                          old gas engines went 200k+ but it took following the service that was required. efi you can be lazy and do nothing to it.. because instead of the tech making the adjustments, the ecu does..
                          when they went to higher coolant temps is when engine started to last longer even when the owner did nothing for upkeep.. as it burnt off all the junk in the crankcase..
                          don't want to use facts now, right.. the first efi's washed the cyl with there 6-8 sec cranking before fire'n when NEW..
                          WAIT WE'LL JUST WASH THAT FACT UNDER THE RUG

Comment

how did we ever live without efi.. your a tech, you remember what a tune up intailed.. adj the chock and setting the idle and mix screws is not a rebuild,
                            Yep, but it's work that a carburetor requires. EFI doesn't need that kind of maintenance.
                            and I gotta laugh at your "at the track they have the bowls off or the whole carb apart.." that again isn't a rebuild either thats them changing settings,
                            how many efi guys have the laptop beside them and are (use'n your ideals of rebuilding a carb) rebuilding the efi with keystokes..
                            There hasn't been a NASCAR race with EFI yet, how do we know guys will be tuning at the track? From what I am told, the tuneup's already been developed. No tuning needed at the track. Still, carburetors require more work than EFI - stroking keys is quicker and easier than changing air bleeds... by a lot. Advantage: EFI

a properly mantaned carb doesn't wash cyl walls, never has, a totally out of whack one, ya, so will a efi in default,safe mode.. pig rich and allowed to be run that way..
                            old gas engines went 200k+ but it took following the service that was required. efi you can be lazy and do nothing to it.. because instead of the tech making the adjustments, the ecu does..
                            ...So, Advantage: EFI

the first efi's washed the cyl with there 6-8 sec cranking before fire'n when NEW..
                            WAIT WE'LL JUST WASH THAT FACT UNDER THE RUG
                            Um, that's not a fact, that's what is known as whiner's bullshit. Everyone knows that junkyard EFI motors will have near perfect bores and ring seal where a junkyard carb engine is going to need rings/hone/bore etc.

Especially in NASCAR - where Carburetors cost ungodly money to have tuned, and require different tuneups for different tracks - there's basically no way to justify carburetors. EFI costs the teams less over the course of a season once you factor in the fuel economy, the ease of precision tuning, etc. On a street car that'll run on a $50 junkyard carb, fine - you can run the engine cheaper - but not in NASCAR where it costs you 6 figures to develop a tune for a single track...

Comment

No nesting quotes in vBulletin BLOWS!! Anyways.

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                              There hasn't been a NASCAR race with EFI yet, how do we know guys will be tuning at the track? From what I am told, the tuneup's already been developed. No tuning needed at the track. Still, carburetors require more work than EFI - stroking keys is quicker and easier than changing air bleeds... by a lot. Advantage: EFI
                              Quicker is right, I'd run straight from the return road to the staging lanes. Check my datalog while in line in the staging lanes, hit a couple of keys to lean out or richen up the engine. Possibly move timing. And be ready for the start line in about 2 minutes, which was much quicker than the line moved. Sure beat pulling the carb apart or busting out the timing light to reset timing.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X