Bro's 02 Escape won't start need help ASAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bro's 02 Escape won't start need help ASAP

My brother came out for the weekend. His 02 Escape with 120,000 and 3L DOHC was running great, we were out in it last night, no problems. We're getting ready to go and it won't start. It cranks OK just just doesn't start. We put a battery charger on anyway, the + terminal looks a little funny so we're going to clean that. Anything we can look at with a minimum of tools? TIA.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Make sure the fuel pump roll-over switch is engaged (pushed in). If the car gets bumped too hard it'll disengage. My bros Mercury Tracer did it on a bumpy road sometimes. Easy thing to check but I'm not sure of it's location on that car. It's usually in the rear corner of the car not too far from the fuel tank and should be called out in the owner's manual.

Dan

Comment

Thanks Dan, I was thinking that too. I was just about to look in the manual. Turns out it WAS the battery. It cranked OK, seemed like there wasn't an issue. We took the terminals off to clean and tried it. It just went click click click. HF battery charger to the rescue and it started! We're fine and thanks again Dan!
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

What's the P.A.T.S.(Passive Anti Theft System) security light on the dash doing?
        Fords have problems with the PATS chip/transponder ring on the lock cylinder going bad.

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
          What's the P.A.T.S.(Passive Anti Theft System) security light on the dash doing?
          Fords have problems with the PATS chip/transponder ring on the lock cylinder going bad.
          Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary other then it wouldn't start despite cranking what seemed to be normal. That's good to know, thanks.

I do wonder if there was something else going on. After it started, the ABS light was on and the dash lights were only about half way according to my brother. He was already planning on taking it to the shop beofre this started for other work, normal maintenance. He'll have them look at it.
          Last edited by Huskinhano; October 24, 2011, 12:32 PM.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
          X