Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mopar Action Versus Popular Hot Rodding (Gromer v. Hunkins)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Last edited by dulcich; October 26, 2011, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• Dude. they know

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
      Why even compare yourself to a make specific mag when the likes of Hot Rod and Car Craft are who they should be comparing themselves to.

Hot Rod - 662,901 montly distribution

Car Craft - 236,273 monthly distribution

PHR - 107,850 monthly distribution
      and they apparently don't care.

Comment

• Speedy -- it is back a few pages but Dulcich did go over the cylinder head rules for EMC.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

• Originally posted by dulcich View Post
          Those are not the rules; the two valve language was removed in the March 23 revision of the EMC rules specifically to allow the new Fords. The Ford engines have done very well at the EMC for years, you can even say they dominate it. Your accusation of a GM bias is way off base and contrived; the gentlemanly thing to do would be to apologize at this point. I don't know exactly what your beef is with me and the Engine Masters Challenge. Everyone that works on this event puts out a big effort to make it as fair as possible.
          -dulcich
          Alright. I apologize.

I pulled the rules quotation today from the top class rules, not the street rules. I didn't change it other than to pull out the strikeover material because it won't properly display on this forum.

I didn't know the street rules had been changed. I read them when they first came out and never looked at them again. I suspect there were many others who also did not know of the change.

Comment

• Originally posted by dulcich View Post
            Uhmm, For 2011 Four valve heads were legal in the street class . Page 17:

The rules are there for anyone to read, although if you edit them before making a board post they can read anything you want them to read.
            -dulcich
            I do resent your attack on my integrity.

I failed to read the street rules (mistakenly assuming that the 2v only rule would be consistent between both classes). That was sloppy on my part. I even linked to the page I pulled the rules I quoted from, but the link was lost when the forum ate half my original post.

From Mr. Hunkins' comments, the late rules change did not prompt anyone to attempt competing with a DOHC in street class. I see that as yet another FAILURE on Ford Racing's part. They should have "encouraged" a top engine builder to enter a Coyote-based engine. Often, Ford is Ford's worst enemy. They've blown so many opportunities over the past 110 years, it would take a book to describe them all.

I am wondering if there's a legal "steet" intake for a DOHC available (need to study the rules before further comment) If not, then the late allowance for DOHC was illusory.
            Last edited by 38P; October 26, 2011, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
              Speedy -- it is back a few pages but Dulcich did go over the cylinder head rules for EMC.
              Thanks . . . I'm working my way through five pages that were posted after I signed off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                Hmmm, its a split decision. Allowed in Street, not allowed in Extreme Street. I just looked at the 6/23/2011 versions posted on the website.
                The fact that a competitor just now learned of the change suggests that it wasn't too well known. I'm not suggesting this would have changed anyone's entry in 2011, because the change was fairly late, and many engine builder plans and allegiances are fairly well set. Most likely a qualifying builder seeking publicity for his business won't enter a DOHC unless he's already building them for customers.

Comment

• Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                  Speedzter? build an EMC engine? I'd place my bets on TC getting something running sooner.

And I know our Early Hemi was born with a disadvantage. But it was *sooo* much fun putting that combo together.
                  Geek took a fair shot.

I'm not a pro engine builder. It takes someone like Kaase to win. I'd hire him or Sean Hyland or Roush/Yates if I had the money to build a DOHC just to prove a point. But I don't have a spare $100,000.00 laying around to blow on EMC, so the 2V pushrod world is safe . . . for now.

I guess this is like the Drag Week rules discussion. If you're not a major player bragging constantly on what you've done in the past, you've got no right to comment on the rules.

Comment

• Speedy, I have to ask this... How many axes do you have to grind?? You've been all over the place in this thread today...
                    Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

• UPON FURTHER REVIEW . . . I suppose if Jamie Allison, director of Ford North America Motorsports, doesn't care about the cheap publicity of EMC, DW and other magazine events, why should I worry about it for them?

Here comes the RANT . . . .

My beloved Ford is the moronic company that has FAILED to adequately deal with the GM "LESS" V8 threat.

Ford is who FAILED to put DOHCs in enough Mustangs from 1996 through 2010.

Ford is who FAILED to make the bore centers of the Modular wide enough to compete with the "LESS" on a cube-for-cube basis.

Ford is who FAILED to offer DOHC heads for the 6.2 Boss and the V10.

Ford is who FAILED to adequately compete with GM in the big block crate motor market.

Ford is who FAILED to take advantage of Camaro's sabbatical.

Ford is who FAILED to offer fairly-priced DOHC retrofit kits for all the chumps they ripped off with the 2V Mustang GT.

Ford is who FAILED to lobby rulesmakers at hundreds of American dirt tracks to accept its modern engines.

Ford is who FAILED to keep the Terminator engine in production.

Ford is who FAILED to keep V8 RWD in anything but a pony car or a truck.

Yes, I know, this thread has meandered from Gromer v. Hunkins, to PHR's circulation decline, to EMC rules. but DAD GUM IT, if folks are going to blast and dismiss me for being a Ford "crazy" "keyboard racer," I'm entitled to set the record straight.

I love Ford despite the fact that it constantly snatches defeat from the jaws of potential victory.

Comment

• Originally posted by HillbillySailor2 View Post
                        Speedy, I have to ask this... How many axes do you have to grind?? You've been all over the place in this thread today...
                        Sorry Dude . . . one thing just leads to another. But then if I want to HIJACK a thread I STARTED, am not I entitled?

Comment

• Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot View Post
                          Sorry Dude . . . one thing just leads to another. But then if I want to HIJACK a thread I STARTED, am not I entitled?
                          I never accused you of hijacking anything...dude. I was just curious is all. I didn't know if it was a bunch of little axes, or one great-big ax. Keep on grinding. This has been quite entertaining.
                          Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

• I actually agree with Speedy here. It's his thread, so he's allowed to drive the short bus.

It's fun in a perverse kind of way, like watching a train wreck.

Comment

• I'm glad somebody was entertained. From nearly forty (mostly wasted) years in this sport/hobby, I've developed more opinions than Andy Rooney had on "60 Minutes."

And I can't do jack about any of it right now because Mrs. Speedy has . . . cancer . . . . All of this is just a big diversion from the huge suckage of reality (Sorry for getting too personal)

The PHR thing and the reactions to it just sort of triggered a flood of related opinions . . . probably because "Pop Rod" was the first hot rodding magazine I ever talked my way into being allowed to buy (1973).

We were a straight-laced, "Mechanix Illustrated" kind of family. Hot rodders were lawless thugs. Racing was deadly and delinquent. So that first "Pop Rod" was a walk on the wild side.

I bought my first Mustang, an 1986 SVO in graduate school after Cam Benty's testing in PHR . . . because he got it into the 14s and I was already turbo crazy. . . . and I mistakenly believed the supercar would never come back

And I ended up following DF's career . . . all the way to here . . . because I once attacked his thoughtless statement in CC that "turbos are for diesels." (an argument that was about as well-received as today's comments).

And I ended up with my first DOHC SVT Cobra because the 2V Modular Mustang GT wasn't competitive against the "new" LS . . . .

It's all related, really . . . Mechanix Illustrated introduced me to turbos . . . PHR to hot rodding and my first turbo car . . . Loyalty to Ford because of owning one . . . and then to owning many, many more . . . attacking DF over turbos. . . .coming to "Freiburger's Junkyard" . . . and then standing up for "Brand X" and turbocharging and DOHC against the mainstream . . . .

Sorry for rambling . . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot View Post
                                The fact that a competitor just now learned of the change suggests that it wasn't too well known. I'm not suggesting this would have changed anyone's entry in 2011, because the change was fairly late, and many engine builder plans and allegiances are fairly well set. Most likely a qualifying builder seeking publicity for his business won't enter a DOHC unless he's already building them for customers.
                                As a racer, I only concentrate on the rules that apply to the class I compete in. So it isn't significant that I was unaware of a street class rule.

Speedy, if you have the time you should attend one of the competitions. The sportsmanship is outstanding. The engines are very interesting. Its very much a fraternity of engine builders that get together once a year, have a good time, trade ideas (and lies LOL) and wait for the numbers to show on the board. I'm not sure I've got a horse for the race next year, but I sure hope our guys can attend again next year.

I hope your frustration level calms back down to a simmer. I certainly enjoy your participation here, but your angst is palpable.
                                I'm still learning

Comment

Working...
                                X