Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mopar Action Versus Popular Hot Rodding (Gromer v. Hunkins)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny Hunkins View Post
    I'll read it on the newsstand--like everybody else.

By inbred, I was referring to all the aliases he uses.
    OH I thought you meant inbred referring to a magazine with such a limited appeal...
    ooops

I still like it though!

~Gail
    Last edited by LORENSWIFE; October 24, 2011, 02:57 PM.
    That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

I'm thrilled to death to see something on the autocross beyond a Camaro or Nova. In fairness, I've seen a Roadrunner, a Barracuda, and a pair of Challengers going at it before. Hopefully, my car will help fill that void by spring.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I got $$$ that says project bold beeper will wipe the floor with Hunkins Chevelle 1/4 mile, braking, road course, slalom, ride and drive, you name it.
        58 Plymouth Sport Suburban. 526 cubic inches of angry wedge! Pushbutton shifted 9 passenger killer!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
          I got $$$ that says project bold beeper will wipe the floor with Hunkins Chevelle 1/4 mile, braking, road course, slalom, ride and drive, you name it.
          Is that some car that C. Gromer has? BTW, I think the Chevelle has been sold down the road and JH is working on a Nova now.

Comment

I'll read it on the newsstand--like everybody else.

By inbred, I was referring to all the aliases he uses.
            I thought you were saying inbred cuz they're mopar people ....

Just kidding.....sheesh!....nobody has a sense of humor anymore

Above statement doesn't apply to McGinnis!
            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I've always been partial to Mopars but for my money PHR is the best mag out there now. Unfortunately it's getting harder to find. Go Johnny!!
              "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

MA's Bold Beeper v. Pop Rod's "Project Talladega" (Hate that name on a Chevy)

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
                YES! SHOOTOUT! Settle this mano y mano on the track!

Bold Beeper rocks. But in Episode 31 ($5,000 TCI Six-Speed transmission programming) E-booger reported a dead hole. Still a 7-cylinder Mope would probably kill Hunk's Disco heap.

Now if PHR ever finishes that Cougar . . . . ;)

Comment

who's Gromer?

....dated air.... classic stuff
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

If MA ran a "Rat Drag Car"

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    who's Gromer?

....dated air.... classic stuff
                    He could call it "Gromer's Pile" . . .

Now THAT'S A DATED PUN** (and I see why my co-workers say that puns are the laziest form of humor)

(**Explanation for all the kids under age 40: Once upon a time, that old guy who sings "Back Home Again in Indiana" at the Indy 500 was in a TV show called "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C."

Pyle was a "bumbling Marine" who -- thankfully for all who proudly served -- never saw any combat in the "Southeast Asian Conference" (BTW, youngsters, that's a cryptic "Miami Vice" reference to the Vietnam Conflict) And when one of your buds was a hopeless goof back then, you might call him a "Gomer Pyle.")

Comment

The guy insults me, then wants me to email him? Sure, I'll get right on that.
                      But it was ok for you to insult an ENTIRE slice of the automotiive hobby?

Comment

I didn't want to insult anybody, which is why I removed the blog. Some guys took offense though. I am not apologetic for setting a high bar for the cars we feature in PHR, and we go to great lengths to find them. We cut a pretty wide swath through the country this year, going to all-make car shows in Nashville, Dallas, Indy, Phoenix, and Chicago. And we're still not finished traveling. There's still Vegas and Del Mar. During the week of Engine Masters, I saw the insides of more Hemi engines than most Mopar guys see in a year. If Gromer calls that sitting under a rock, he's being reckless, willful, and ignorant.

Three quarters of the cars featured in Mopar Action couldn't get into PHR. It's not an insult, just a fact. I like a lot of the cars we can't feature, but they just don't fit the mix. The other one quarter are bitchin'--but never crossed our path. And then there is the unseen coolest fifth quarter of Mopars that Gromer never found because we got there first.

Comment

Mopars thoughts that swirl in my head...

1) Back when, everyone I knew whose name was preceeded by Mopar...was annoying.

2) Since time began Chrylser never ceased to amaze me with yucky grills, I like the Sebring grills though.

I love Loren's Challenger though no one would ever call him Mopar Loren!
                          and of course I love my beater Cherokee!

~Gail (don't hate me! I have very little control over what my mind thinks about!)
                          Last edited by LORENSWIFE; October 25, 2011, 10:32 AM.
                          That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

I didn't want to insult anybody, which is why I removed the blog. Some guys took offense though. I am not apologetic for setting a high bar for the cars we feature in PHR, and we go to great lengths to find them. We cut a pretty wide swath through the country this year, going to all-make car shows in Nashville, Dallas, Indy, Phoenix, and Chicago. And we're still not finished traveling. There's still Vegas and Del Mar. During the week of Engine Masters, I saw the insides of more Hemi engines than most Mopar guys see in a year. If Gromer calls that sitting under a rock, he's being reckless, willful, and ignorant.

Three quarters of the cars featured in Mopar Action couldn't get into PHR. It's not an insult, just a fact. I like a lot of the cars we can't feature, but they just don't fit the mix. The other one quarter are bitchin'--but never crossed our path. And then there is the unseen coolest fifth quarter of Mopars that Gromer never found because we got there first.
                            Still, Dude, if you came up with only twelve Mopes a year (one a month) you'd pretty much diffuse this issue. Surely even in the rarefied, unlimited budget, pro-built air that "Pop Rod" now circulates in, there are twelve Pentastars that could make the cut.

Folks still buy multi-brand mags like HRM, CC, and PHR because they want to see a mix of brands. I can't think the high-end Pro Touring niche is so tight that the readers won't accept one measly Chrysler product a month.

Another point that should be made in fairness is that Gromer's book is bimonthy, so finding sufficient content is only half as hard.

Also, not sure how you can have a "fifth quarter" of anything.

Comment

[QUOTE=LORENSWIFE;571132]
                              1) everyone I knew whose name was preceeded by Mopar...was annoying.
                              Last edited by LORENSWIFE; October 25, 2011, 11:30 AM. Reason: Edited to remove back when

Comment

The words "unlimited budget" and "pro built" just as easily apply to the Mopar collector/restoration world. I'd even argue that it's cheaper to build a real-world real-guy pro-touring car than doing a DIY chalk-mark restoration on your average Hemi car. In the last 12 months, we've done 9 Mopar stories (of at least 5 pages each), which include build-ups of 1st-, 2nd-, and 3rd-gen Hemis, and a handful of LA small-blocks. This doesn't include the 7 Mopar engines in last year's Engine Masters Challenge, or the 5 in this year's.

I would also argue (because it seems that Speedzzster is hinting the opposite view) that Mopar guys reap a huge takeaway from the general-interest tech we put out. Nevertheless, I don't expect PHR to be a go-to mag ahead of the Mopar-specific books like Mopar Collector's Guide, Mopar Muscle, or Mopar Action. (How bad would those books have to get before that happened?!!)

Lastly, if all I wanted to do was find sufficient content, my job would be as easy as Gromer's! Putting out PHR is a 125% effort. There's your extra 25%...
                                Last edited by Johnny Hunkins; October 25, 2011, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X