Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mopar Action Versus Popular Hot Rodding (Gromer v. Hunkins)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mopar Action Versus Popular Hot Rodding (Gromer v. Hunkins)

Some say "Don't pick fights with somebody who buys ink by the barrel" . . . that is unless you buy ink in a slightly smaller barrel! That must be the view of Mopar Action Editor Cliff Gromer.

In the February 2012 issue of Mopar Action magazine (who knew it was already A.D. 2012?), Gromer rips on Pop Rod helmer Johnny Hunkins for claiming that there just aren't enough feature-quality modified Mopars for the pages of PHR. Gromer's column, "Dear John," minces no words, opining that if Hunkins cannot find "modified or handling" Chrysler products, "He must be hiding under a rock." Gromer writes a lot more choice stuff that ought to be prime bulletin board material in the "Pop Rod" section of the Source Interlink "cubical farm."

The big question is how will "Hunk" respond . . . .

Okay, this dust up isn't on the level of the East Coast/West Coast Rap War or a reprise of the 1960s "Cam Wars." But Gromer's swagger in "calling out" "Chevy" Hunkins is refreshing.

How hard can it be to find twelve modified "Mopes" a year?
    Last edited by 38P; October 24, 2011, 05:25 AM. Reason: Revise and extend

I thought it was interesting. Here is my post about it on Moparts.

Also, I guess the blog Hunk wrote is gone now, it is just the comments in response to the blog.

Ryan
    Last edited by Devil; October 24, 2011, 08:44 AM. Reason: Change in blog
    Ryan's Cars in Barns Blog
    www.carsinbarns.blogspot.com

Comment

"There are those who only want date coded air for thier tires."

I didn't you you could get that . . . .

Comment

That's Corvette people.
        Ryan's Cars in Barns Blog
        www.carsinbarns.blogspot.com

Comment

I have heard a dude or two at Mustang Club of America shows bragging about original air in the tires in the concours classes. . . .

Comment

My response is, good for Gromer. I appreciate him putting PHR in front of his readers. He's just trying to sell magazines.

I was at Indy Goodguys last month, and there were only 2 Mopars out of 70 muscle cars in the autocross--the most they've had all year at one event. So I guess things are moving in the right direction.

Can't wait to read Gromer's editorial. He's always a good read. I like his irreverent style, and I'd expect nothing less from an ex-CSK-er.

Back in the day at Cars Illustrated, Gromer used to do a monthly feature that was internally called "the slam of the month." He would find some hapless dude at a car show who had a sea of chrome, a fancy crazy Easter egg paint job, and a ton of trophies. He'd tell the guy he was going to be featured in a magazine, then shoot the car, making sure to have the owner sign the "consent/waiver" form. When the magazine came out, Gromer (or one of his aliases, or Tony DeFeo) would write some insulting screed about the guy and his car making fun of it. Of course, the guy signed the consent form, and in the fine print he gave Gromer & DeFeo the right to do it, so tough cookies if you didn't like it. All that effort, and Gromer could've decided to feature another cool car instead of ruining some guy's dream.

That's the way Gromer operates. He's entertaining his readers. Just too bad it's all too often at someone else's expense. I don't really give a rat's ass what Gromer says in his little inbred magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Hunkins View Post
              My response is, good for Gromer. I appreciate him putting PHR in front of his readers. He's just trying to sell magazines.

I was at Indy Goodguys last month, and there were only 2 Mopars out of 70 muscle cars in the autocross--the most they've had all year at one event. So I guess things are moving in the right direction.

Can't wait to read Gromer's editorial. He's always a good read. I like his irreverent style, and I'd expect nothing less from an ex-CSK-er.

Back in the day at Cars Illustrated, Gromer used to do a monthly feature that was internally called "the slam of the month." He would find some hapless dude at a car show who had a sea of chrome, a fancy crazy Easter egg paint job, and a ton of trophies. He'd tell the guy he was going to be featured in a magazine, then shoot the car, making sure to have the owner sign the "consent/waiver" form. When the magazine came out, Gromer (or one of his aliases, or Tony DeFeo) would write some insulting screed about the guy and his car making fun of it. Of course, the guy signed the consent form, and in the fine print he gave Gromer & DeFeo the right to do it, so tough cookies if you didn't like it. All that effort, and Gromer could've decided to feature another cool car instead of ruining some guy's dream.

That's the way Gromer operates. He's entertaining his readers. Just too bad it's all too often at someone else's expense. I don't really give a rat's ass what Gromer says in his little inbred magazine.
              YES! Hunkins blasts back. Let the MOPAR WARS BEGIN! BTW, Mr. Hunkins, Gromer wrote he'd comp you a copy of "Mopar Action" if you'd e-mail him . . . .

Comment

That rules.
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Shine him on Mr Hunkins! LORENSWIFE loves your magazine!
                  Here is a badass Mopar if you're looking...

Click image for larger version

Name:	th_DSC02328[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	858161
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	th_DSC02137[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	858160

LORENSWIFE
                  Last edited by LORENSWIFE; October 24, 2011, 02:07 PM.
                  That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

The guy insults me, then wants me to email him? Sure, I'll get right on that.

Comment

I don't really give a rat's ass what Gromer says in his little inbred magazine.
                      That should be the quote of the day!
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I love the "inbred" part!
                        That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Free magazine

The guy insults me, then wants me to email him? Sure, I'll get right on that.
                          Dood! It's a free magazine. . . A $5.99 value!

Comment

Some say **

Rick Ehrenberg, S.A.E. put Gromer up to it because he wants to see the "Green Brick" in a mag with some "circ."

**actually, nobody says that, but it's fun to stoke the fire . . .
                            Attached Files

Comment

I'll read it on the newsstand--like everybody else.

By inbred, I was referring to all the aliases he uses.

Comment

Working...
                              X