Bitchin or bogus shootout: Patina or "earl scheib?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitchin or bogus shootout: Patina or "earl scheib?"

(Note: the infamous Earl Scheib company ceased national operations on July 16, 2010. There are a few independent Earl Scheib locations still around. This post is not meant as a commentary on the quality of their work)

THE SET-UP: A show quality paint and body job can consume thousands of hours and dollars. And a pro-quality refinish on a vehicle is too often the prelude to pampered "trailer queen" status. Few Bangshifters who invest in top-notch paint work will risk it in the slings and arrows of daily driving.

Hence the rise of "Patina" (DF's fancy way of saying pockmarked with surface rust).

Running a "rusto-rod" is a quick, cheap, and dirty alternative to the pristine finishes favored by the traditional lawn-chair-n-trailers set. Patina fits the budgets of many bucks-down Bangshifters. There's much less risk to a ratty ride in daily commuting or parking lots than an ISCA wannabe. And with the rise of "Faux-tina," even a few well-funded builders are hopping on the aged finish bandwagon.

However, a common alternative to the dullness of au natural ginger oxide decay was "Earl Scheib" -- the quickie paint job.

Scheib started in Los Angeles in 1937. According to some critics, "Scheib's policy of one-day service and production line techniques flew directly into the face of state-of-the-art professional Auto Body standards." Scheib reportedly demanded its painters spray as many as five cars a day. Thus, runs, drips and errors were often unwanted accessories of the "quickie" respray.

Many old school Bangshifters in times past relied on cheap "one day" paint . . . either home-applied or hosed by any number of "budget" refinishers, including Scheib. Such "production" paint and body work added a little flash to homebuilt rods and supercars without breaking the bank. These rides were often derided as "twenty-footers" by the show-car snobs. But they were (and still are) more often seen "takin' care of business" on the "mean streets" than their flawless rivals.

In recent times, the "Rustoleum Roller" and other dirt-cheap paint techniques have become alternatives to the "Patina" of ratty rusto rodding.

THE QUESTION: If you're building a low-buck performance car for actual road use, which is most bitchin, "Patina" or "Earl Scheib?"
    "Patina" is more bitchin on a "driver" rod or street machine
    52.50%
    "Quickie" paint and body work is more bitchin on a "driver" rod or street machine
    47.50%

Personally, Patina.

I'd rather it look rough and honest than look rough when it is trying to look nice.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I like my cars non-rusted, and (relatively) shiny thus - scheib... I may, for the first time ever (and maybe never again), get a quality paint job on the Spider....

plus, if you like patina, a Scheib paint job will be patina'd in 6 months to a year because of the low quality paint.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Earl "hisself"

(How do you imbed youtube video on the forum?)
        Last edited by Brian Lohnes; October 24, 2011, 06:19 AM.

Comment

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Hence the rise of "Patina" (DF's fancy way of saying pockmarked with surface rust).

D/F FANCY WAY WAS TO loophole around the fact that these cars are the p.o.s. that they'd have picked apart just a few years before hand..
          and should be called on it, for what it really is.. a way to feature p.o.s. in mags that never fly before hand..
          a rusty 77 cutlass is still a p.o.s. no matter what name you give the rust

look I just draged this p.o.s. out of a field, photo me please
          Last edited by Stich496; October 24, 2011, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            plus, if you like patina, a Scheib paint job will be patina'd in 6 months to a year because of the low quality paint.
            ROTFL! You gotta pop for the optional "poly" additive . . . .

Comment

Chicks love scheib?

Cheating on psycho chicks . . . another reason for "Scheib?"

Comment

I had to think about this for a minute, I think it depends on the car and how straight it is. For some reason to me, a fenderless '33 Ford can have patina where a '70 chevelle has to be straight and shiny.
                Originally posted by TC
                also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

There were many cars used as demos in HR and CC that benifitted form the el-cheapo paint jobs offered by these companies well before the rise of the "patina" car. There was a blue Firebird, Disco Nova and a few otheres that I can not recall now. Most of the time it was how to get a decent paint job on the cheap...doing the prep yourself, masking, trim removal and so on. Then taking the car to a shop, have them shoot it, then put it all back together. I am a fan of this. I am not a fan of Patina and am not a fan of an un prepped car being shot at a 1 day operation. They paint over dirt and anything and everything...no prep and if you want prep you pay thru the nose...
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Joe is right about the prep, I have a 20 year old Macco paint job on my camaro. I backed it into a guard rail at the track once and screwed up the quarterpanel, bumper, spoiler, and tail lights. I took it all apart, bought 2 new quarters and all the other pices I needed and spent a long time preping it to get it ready, I even took the engine and transmission and interrior out because I wanted to go through the transmission and I had them install the quarters so I didn't want anything in the interrior to get screwed up. It took me a couple of months. They had my car finished in a couple of weeks and I thought it looked good.
                    Originally posted by TC
                    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

For me it dependson the actual appearance of the car.

For instance, this is nearing perfection to me. This bug was originally red from the factory, and had a fairly decent repaint to the sky blue color, which included jambs and under the dash, but not under the hood. Might have been an advanced Earl-type job, they did such things for an extra fee, at least around here.

Everything about this tells a story of how the car lived. That is what good patina does, tells some of the history of the car. Its why racing patina is the coolest of all.

This truck has plenty of patina as well, but since it is mismatched and wearing the 80's version of a paper bag on its face (grey primer) this patina fails and merely says POS. Even saving the door lettering (which is possible) would do little to make it more interesting, as its story is not romantic at all and only tells a tale of used and tossed utililty.

Now add in something more modern with different colored doors or other bolt-on parts and you have moved FAR into POS territory.

Fake patina..........well that is just kind of sad. I respect the efforts of the painter to create a look, and some do a darn good job of it, but seriously if you want rust and faded paint let mother nature do it, she is the true pro.
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        I like my cars non-rusted, and (relatively) shiny thus - scheib... I may, for the first time ever (and maybe never again), get a quality paint job on the Spider....

X2 here-there needs to be a 3rd choice though-nice paint, just not quite show worthy-as much as I wanted to save the paint dough on the Fairlane, I couldn't live with the dents and scrapes, so I am 2 years behind my original plan due to the cost of bodywork and paint. It is not a billett/pearlescent trailer queen, but I will fuss over where I park it and keep it covered in the garage. My Buick looked great-ALWAYS-driven everywhere but kept shiny and covered when not driven.
                        67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
                        05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

I've always had a friend or two that would paint a car for me, so I've never used ES. but that's not to say I've never had a so-so paint job....

Each car stands on its own. There's no "right" answer.
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Applying the "Stiney Test" to Joe Dirt

"Everything about this tells a story of how the car lived. That is what good patina does, tells some of the history of the car." -- Stiney

". . . a fenderless '33 Ford can have patina where a '70 chevelle has to be straight and shiny." --A/Fuel

Ignoring the Hollywood faux-tina aspect of Joe Dirt's fake Daytona, is this "good" patina, or straight out of the POS trailer park? Does the spot primer ruin it?
                            Attached Files

Comment

who is Joe Dirt?
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X