X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by imprtslyer View Post
    I like this story better:

Teacher bought beloved Ford for $3,000 when he was 34 - now he's 79
    A retired teacher who bought a car in 1965 is still behind the wheel four decades later - after racking up more than one million miles. Grandfather-of-six Bob Lucas, 79, bought the Ford GT Mustang 289 from his local dealer in 1965 for $3,000. Mr Lucas, then just 34, had no idea the hardy vehicle would last for the next 45 years - and clock up an astonishing million miles. He used his trusted vehicle as a family car and for his church duties delivering food to the poor - driving around 25,000 miles a year.

On a roll: Bob Lucas's Mustang is still going strong after 45 years in Santa Ana, California
    The six-digit odometer in the 'honey green' car returns to zero every 100,000 miles - which it has done ten times. Mr Lucas, from Santa Ana, California, is already 50,000 miles into the eleventh turn - meaning the car is well on its way to hitting 1.1 million miles. Despite its incredible longevity, the father-of-three said his car has never broken down once in 45 years.

Vintage classic: Mr Lucas has been offered a lot of money for the car he bought for $3,000 - but has refused to sell

Hot wheels: Mr Lucas, a retired teacher, has never had a break down in his Ford GT Mustang 289
    He said: 'I remember seeing it in the dealership lot in 1965 and thinking, ''that's the car for me''. I had no idea it would last all my life. 'I use it for work, for the church, for family trips, holidays, and my daughters also learned to drive in it. It's been part of all our lives. 'The clock has now gone around ten times, which means it's over a million miles old and still going strong. 'So many car collectors have offered to buy from me, for much more than I paid for it, but there's no way I'd sell the old girl after all these years.

Getting good mileage: Mr Lucas uses his car for charity work, family holidays and has taught his three daughters to drive in it
    'She's never broken down, not once, and never given me any trouble.
    'The only problem I've ever had was once when I ran out of fuel, but that was my own fault.' The car's 289-cubic-inch V8 engine has been replaced over the years and it has been repainted, but the C4 three-speed automatic transmission is the original. Mr Lucas said: 'My car has not been babied or given special treatment. It's just good transportation. If you want a car to last, drive as steady as you can and make the signals. 'Many people sell their cars and get a newer model. But for me this car still holds all the thrill and enjoyment of the first day I bought it.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ION-miles.html
    If he's owned this car since new, why does it have newer Cali plates on it?

My Dad's '86 Accord LX sedan went 311,000 miles before we sold it after he died in 2001. He burned up the trans hauling a Uhaul trailer over the Grapevine, had some fuel filter/pump issues; but otherwise a great car. The buyer had it compression checked/leak down, only showed a 2% loss across all cylinders.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
      BS.
      sorry we here have a ton running around blowing light blue smoke out the exhaust..

Comment

No so much. Any smoke during a state inspection is an automatic failure...

Here's a quote from the Mass RMV --

Visible smoke coming from an exhaust pipe is considered an emissions related issue, applicable to all vehicles regardless of age.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

drive around boston, and watch..
          removing a converter is a automatic fail too. but we know how many are running without them..
          no matter the year..

Comment

i see smoking hondas all the time

and in michigan you can drive a death box on wheels do to no safty inspections
            Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
            Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
              sorry we here have a ton running around blowing light blue smoke out the exhaust..
              around here I see a few of those, but it's usually being driven by the kid who spends most of his time bouncing it off the rev limiter.

Meanwhile, if the question is "which vehicles start smoking the quickest" - hello Chevy and the lack of quality control... how many brand new LS engines burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles? lots. How many Chrysler minivans smoke like a freight train - with 60K miles. Any honda will turn into junk if it's abused - just like anything else.

I'm not extremely Pro Honda but, for reliable daily drivers they can be great cars.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I kinda believe the motor could be original & has a million miles, but if the trans is an automatic there's no way it hasn't been replaced.

Comment

I remember the Mustang being black and the guy keeping all his receipts and documenting everything, especially gas.

I remember reading about the Chevy truck too, and the Volvo with almost 4 million miles on it. A million miles is a lot of driving. I can't see any of my vehicles making it that far, with all the salt especially.

Comment

Working...
                  X