Avoid the Cars on the Highway -from Mens Health News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoid the Cars on the Highway -from Mens Health News

Just thought this was interesting expecially after the great truck nuts debate of 2011

Beware of pickup trucks, especially those driven by guys like this.
    Like pet owners and their furry friends, some people tend to resemble their cars. And according to a new Temple University study, you may want to give that dread-headed hippie in his VW van a little extra space on the highway.

The researchers found that if you view your car as part of your identity, you’ll also believe the road around you is your personal space, which results in aggressive driving. And aggressive driving accounts for one-third of all car accidents that cause personal injury, and a frightening two-thirds of accidents that result in death.

“If somebody is walking down the street with a stick and tries to hit you, you’ll probably act aggressively back,” explains Ayalla Ruvio, Ph. D., an assistant professor of marketing at Temple University and the study’s lead author. “Some drivers show the same kind of behavior on the road. If someone cuts you off, even accidentally, you might act aggressively to defend your space.”

For your safety (and ours) we’ve compiled a list of the four kinds of cars to avoid while cruising America’s highways:
    • 4WD pickup trucks (especially if they have truck nuts): A University of Texas study found that of all automobile styles, pickup drivers were the most likely to engage in aggressive driving. Those steering 4-wheel-drive trucks were the worst.
    • 2000 Honda Civic: Think about your driving skills as a teen. Now imagine how much more dangerous this generation is with the popularity of texting. It’s no surprise the same University of Texas study found that teen drivers, specifically 16- and 17-year-olds, were the most likely age group to drive aggressively. At least we know to avoid 2000 Honda Civics—the car teenagers drive most, according to a Quality Planning Corporation study.
    • Anything with a NASCAR bumper sticker: Ever watch a movie with a great car chase and think, “Hey, I wanna do that?” Then you can imagine how all of NASCAR Nation feels after watching 500 laps at Bristol. One West Virginia University study found that, after adjusting for weather and other factors, automobile accidents and injuries in the state spiked for five days after a stock car race.
    • Black Scion TC: This is the auto world’s equivalent of shattering a mirror while opening an umbrella indoors. When the Highway Loss Data Institute looked for the car with the highest insurance losses (read: accidents) the TC beat out all challengers. Combine that with an Australian study that found black cars have a 12 percent higher crash risk, and that’s one car we’d rather not see cross our paths.

Last edited by LORENSWIFE; October 26, 2011, 03:02 PM.
    That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

I'm surprised that "weirdos that drive old cop cars" didn't top the list.
    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

hey i resemble that lol
      Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
      Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

If you see a plate that reads Iraq or Persian Gulf veteran, dont tailgate them, they are probably armed and view tailgaters as a terrorist threat... Not all veterans drive aggressively, but I do. I am trying to avoid idiots who like to stop suddenly, or cant seem to figure out the cruise control, and change lanes without even checking the mirrors.

Comment

Working...
        X