Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heaven Help Me... I found another project that might just be cheap enough!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the 3.8 SC motor any more reliable than the regular 3.8? It does have the advantage of bolting to an AOD so I'd not have to fret over the A4LD's longevity. Probably expensive though.

I don't think I like the Mustang nose on the LTD though the blacked out trim does hold appeal.

I've not bought it or even looked at it in person yet but it's definately attractive. We'll see when I get home what the rest of the family has to say.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Holy bejeebers -what awesome potential!!!

My vote: stay away from the 3.8, they can be a bear to work on. 2.3 turbo with a C4 should be more than adequate and tough!!! plus, the 2.3 T will sound like a shitbox (they are horrid sounding engines).

And I know now not to doubt your potential to bring a freakshow to life! :-)
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
        Holy bejeebers -what awesome potential!!!

the 2.3 T will sound like a shitbox (they are horrid sounding engines).
        HEY!!!!!!!!
        I'm still learning

Comment

Thanks for the compliment DG, problem is this doesn't have 7yrs to pull off a freakshow engine this time. You have to remember this will be my daily driver, not my power project. I really just want around 200hp since that's the power level I'm been used to with my Regal GS and Lincoln LS. I don't trust the 3.8 for very long and almost wanted the 2.3L but the car has the price the way it is. Mods will be junkyard and probably start with suspension and brakes and just wait for a croaked driveline.
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
            Is the 3.8 SC motor any more reliable than the regular 3.8? It does have the advantage of bolting to an AOD so I'd not have to fret over the A4LD's longevity. Probably expensive though.

I don't think I like the Mustang nose on the LTD though the blacked out trim does hold appeal.

I've not bought it or even looked at it in person yet but it's definately attractive. We'll see when I get home what the rest of the family has to say.
            the supercoupe/89-90 XR7 engines are marginally better built then the standard 3.8. while you can swap the M90 onto any 3.8, the factory blown ones had forged rods stock, and are good to around 400rwhp, about 75 more then teh standard 3.8. the blower on the 94-95 cars is more efficient then the 89-93, but has a 8% larger pulley.

Those cars have similar headgasket issues as them all- if you pull one to use, My advice would be to replace them while it is out. Also get a whole car, then you will have the wiring harness, transmission, everything.

Alternatively, you could go with a 99-04 splitport 3.8. while not putting out 225/300 like the SC's, they do put out about 190/225 stock and NA. Longetivity wise, these are strong motors- Ive been following on member of another sites 01 mustang, and he recently surpassed 600,000 miles on a stock longblock.
            Local person
            sigpic

Comment

Another option is the 4.2 out of the late 90s / early 2000s trucks, or at least using the crank from one of those to do a stroker 3.8. A local friend from the SC club just swapped in a 4.2 based engine to his 93 SC AOD, very mild cam and head work, upgraded blower, decent trans, 3.73 gears. First pass at the SC Shootout in Xenia Ohio last month, he ran a 12.65 at 105 in the full weight 93 T-Bird.

Head gaskets were definitely an issue on the earlier SC engines, but there are lots of good replacement gaskets available. The key is to get the exhaust pressure out, the factory manifolds aren't bad, but the MN-12 cars had a crappy exhaust from the factory. In the LTD, it would be easy to get some full length headers intended for a Mustang, and you have the room to do a proper true dual exhaust ... something that is very tricky on an MN-12 Bird / Cougar because of the floorpan design and fuel tank location.

The SC engines can make big tire spinning torque down low ... the 95 SC 5-speed I used to have, with a completely stock longblock, only easy bolt-ons, made 345 rwtq at 2,700 rpm. That was enough to light up the 275 width Goodyears from a 25 mph roll in 2nd gear.

cheers
              Ed N.
              Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
              07 Mustang GT with some stuff
              88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Man, this thread has brought the enablers out in droves!
                Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

If my wife wouldn't leave me - I'd have one of those in a wagon. Hope to see you next time you're in town Will - hopefully you'll already have this thing in full sleeper mode by then. (enable, enable, enable)
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                    If my wife wouldn't leave me - I'd have one of those in a wagon. Hope to see you next time you're in town Will - hopefully you'll already have this thing in full sleeper mode by then. (enable, enable, enable)
                    Hmm, interesting... I quick search on eBay netted a couple of interesting results....

$599 would get you...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-F150-PI...item5d30d9e5ca

Now let's say, for argument's sake, Will would want to use the original fuel delivery system, front drive assembley, cam (to drive the distributor), ect, with this engine. Would he have to swap on the 3.8's heads, or could he use the heads that are already on the engine? If swapping is the answer, then the next selection may be a better alternative...

$175 would get you...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Ford-tr...item19c853c870

Do a quick hone. Replace the crank/rod/cam bearings and rings and this would be good to go. Again, this would all depend on how much of the 3.8's stuff would bolt on. I would think that most, if not all, of the stuff would bolt on since it's part of the Essex engine family.

Will, I know you're not looking to drop alot of coin into this car right off the bat. I also know you're not looking to go hog-wild with mods either. However, since you're not sure how long the motor in it is going to last, this might be a viable alternative.
                    Last edited by HillbillySailor2; October 28, 2011, 07:53 AM.

Comment

A friend of mine rebuilt a 4.2 for his F150 - it cost WAY more than I would have spent on it - the engines are not that common and parts are expensive. I'd go 302/aod.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                        A friend of mine rebuilt a 4.2 for his F150 - it cost WAY more than I would have spent on it - the engines are not that common and parts are expensive. I'd go 302/aod.
                        So I take it to mean that not many 3.8 parts will work on the 4.2?

Comment

Originally posted by HillbillySailor2 View Post
                          So I take it to mean that not many 3.8 parts will work on the 4.2?
                          only (major) differences are the crank and upper intake.
                          Local person
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RustyRodder View Post
                            only (major) differences are the crank and upper intake.
                            So my previous thought of swapping his 3.8 stuff over onto this engine is a valid one if Will decided he wanted to go this route?

Comment

Originally posted by HillbillySailor2 View Post
                              So my previous thought of swapping his 3.8 stuff over onto this engine is a valid one if Will decided he wanted to go this route?
                              Pretty much- or he could go carb'd.
                              Local person
                              sigpic

Comment

I think he was taken back mostly by the cost of the +.030 pistons, I remember him shouting something like

"I could buy forged race pistons for a 302 for less than that - and that's only 6!"

I would do a quick look at rockauto or northern to see about rebuild kit prices before making a decision.

Comment

Working...
                                X