Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heaven Help Me... I found another project that might just be cheap enough!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heaven Help Me... I found another project that might just be cheap enough!

I've wanted a Ford LTD (the Fox body kind) since I used one as a yard mule and parts runner when I worked as a mechanic in HS. I had no idea what was under the hood and what kind of trans it had, other than an auto, but I loved the modest size, 4dr practicality, and probably subconcously the potential in it. Been looking off and on for one on Craigslist, even found a wagon that I was going to pick up for HBS till the owner flaked on us. Found an '85 here in C-Spring for less than $1K and it looks to be in really nice shape. Rebuild 3.8 V6 and AOD, a repaint (they use sand here so it just tears the paint up, not rusts the bottom off), and what looks like a solid interior. For this cheap the wife and I might just be able to justify it as a daily driver since the mileage will beat what my 99 Silverado gets. Sell the truck and bank the savings to save up for something else to maybe put the growing family in. Oh by the way, we're expecting our second in June so the Lincoln LS might be a bit small since it's trunk is surprisingly puny in capacity.

Bob Holmes and I have been talking about a weirdo 2.3L Lima I4 with a blower if the 3.8 croaks. Hopefully a Ranger 4.0L SOHC A4LD will hold ~200hp at the flywheel for that idea.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

LTD wagon, definitely on my list of things to look for. We had a buddy, at our annual West Coast SVO get together, show up with one that he'd swapped a 5.0 5 speed into. What a riot. Biggest problem he had was getting all the trim and interior bits.

What's not to like about the potential of a hot rodded supercharged 2.3 LTD?
    I'm still learning

Comment

A4LD's are garbage IMO, I went thru three of them, all were between 125-150k miles, pumps burnt up in all of them, 2.3 with a 5 speed, now thats a different story

Me and my pops and 11 ford rangers/bronco IIs between us and the 2.3 5 speed combo was/is bullet proof
      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
        A4LD's are garbage IMO, I went thru three of them, all were between 125-150k miles, pumps burnt up in all of them, 2.3 with a 5 speed, now thats a different story

Me and my pops and 11 ford rangers/bronco IIs between us and the 2.3 5 speed combo was/is bullet proof
        Unfortunately, that's not something that's allowed. The wife drove stick cars in India and never wants to see one again. Got to keep the automatic so I'd have to find a way to get an AOD behind it or stick with the later version of the A4LD and hope a later (like 88ish) ECM can do the job of shifting it. Hmmm, wonder if you could put a AW4 behind one....
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Come on, man...WHERE'S THE PICS???
          Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

That's all that's in the craigslist add and I'm out of town till the weekend so I can't go check it out.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Nice looking car! That interior looks exactly like the interior I had in my 86 LTD wagon.

Comment

Foxbody LTD II.... would be a good project!
                Local person
                sigpic

Comment

Any chance that something like this is going under the hood??

Comment

I always liked them, lots of potential. I say a 5.0 and AOD.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by HillbillySailor2 View Post
                      Any chance that something like this is going under the hood??

Could work, I've seen them swapped in to Fox and SN95 Mustangs. If it already has a 3.8, why not? LOL

cheers
                      Ed N.
                      Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                      07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                      88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

The A4LD in my old 86 Ranger (2.9L) was surprisingly reliable. It shifted hard and lived a happy life behind the 2.9L even after I turbocharged it. Later versions installed in Explorers and Rangers were improved over the early ones.
                        Last edited by BBR; October 27, 2011, 05:56 AM.
                        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Will - too bad you're here in the detroit metro area this week with no way to get parts home... I have good fodder for 302/aod swap.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

3.8 SC swap would be cool!

that on the inside, this on the outside...
                            Local person
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RustyRodder View Post
                              Foxbody LTD II.... would be a good project!
                              Yes, and I think a Mustang dash like this would be almost mandatory...

Here's one with a column shift for perspective...

Comment

Working...
                              X