Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project gets saved and progess actually made!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project gets saved and progess actually made!

Just wanted to share a project I had a small hand in.

A few years ago I was checking TheSamba just to see what is available in my area (you never know what may turn up) and saw an ad for a '63 Ghia that had to sell by that weekend, and it was very reasonably priced.

Well, I wasn't really in the market for a Ghia, but this had a clear title, was cheap, sported a bunch of parts that work good for building sandrails, was cheap, and also fairly local (did I mention cheap?)

Well, it got to be Friday and the ad was still up, only he modified the ad to say it was going to the scrapyard if not sold and picked up by Saturday. I knew what the scrapyard would pay, so I gave him a call to see what the scoop was.

Turns out, his employer suprised all the employees that week. They were offered to keep their jobs, IF they relocated to South Carolina, IN 2 WEEKS! Now this guy had a wife and kids, a house, and other items that go with normal life. This Ghia was headed to the bodyshop, was all stripped down in preparation for that.......but the job news created a whole new set of priorities for him, in very short order. He literally had no time to even part the car out, and had a very narrow window to even haul it off for scrap.

We struck a deal sight unseen (remember I'm operating off the parts I know will be fine for buggy useage) and I paypal him the money. He sends the title, arrives that next morning, and I go pick it up that weekend. He wasn't even home, never even met him in person. Saved from the crusher!! Turns out to be a decent car for the money, and includes all the trim, windows, etc, with the exception of a motor and bumpers.

I promptly stash the Ghia in a barn until needed.

Now a couple of years later I get a clean-up-n-out burr in my butt, and throw the Ghia up on TheSamba to see if anyone is looking for a restoration candidate. Couple of bites later, this fine fellow and his lovely companion come down to check it out. Very nice couple, they take lots of pictures and ask lots of intelligent questions and want to think about it but will get back to me.

They got back to me, and the next weekend it went home with them.

The link has the rest of the story.

Kinda neat to have a hand in saving one from the crusher that actually gets restored like intended.....

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

I think that guy and Thumpin must be related...hell of a project...lots of swiss cheese.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I buy from the same welder-clothing store as well.... makes you quicker, when a glob drops on your foot, if you're not quick, you're burned...
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
        I think that guy and Thumpin must be related...hell of a project...lots of swiss cheese.
        Only problem with that is ALL VW's are that rusty...
        Look at some of the 'Barndoor' bus restorations, you'll shit yer pants(so will Thumpin)

Comment

He cheated. He didnt do the filler and paint himself. Seriously it looks great, and man he did a lot of work on it. Maybe next summer when we both have them running, we can meet up at Woodward or something and tell stories about how much welding wire we have in our cars.

I just dont see the reason behind rebuilding a VW bus that is rusted to the window sills, but at least they are pretty much flat metal on the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
            I just dont see the reason behind rebuilding a VW bus that is rusted to the window sills, but at least they are pretty much flat metal on the outside.
            Barndoor buses are hens teeth Thumpin, that's why VW guys go to such great lengths to preserve them. Check out the threads below. The guy restoring these Barndoors is Kenny from Concept 1
            in Calgary Alberta Canada. He's one of the best VW restorers in North America...

1954 25a Restoration: This bus is/was a pile found in a field!

1952 25a Restoration: This bus is from South America, he got it from Gerson who owns klassicfab.com which makes VW restoration parts & repair panels

1953 24g Restoration: Another field find, rough as a cob, prolly one of the worst ones he's ever taken on.

Comment

I love those threads.

at least the vws get panels.

the rocker stuff on the first pages.. inside and out, and new panels. nice.

saving an old subaru with similar engine/size crank design ... I am wondering what vw I could even trade for.

had to make most of it on my own. oem was tragic enough to double panels, make my own beams. Simply replacing would have been silly.

I would love to keep track of a 911T build, dual carbed, air cooled 6.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
              X