Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transmission Rebuilds are not all the same....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Rebuilds are not all the same....

So a few years back I had the trany gone through on my '99 Z28....I put all new electronics in it, a Trans-Go HD2 shift kit, aftermarket accumulator and servo pistons and a 3800 stall.....I thought the trans worked good, though it did have a problem with lockup disengaging when it wasn't suppose to and then locking back up again, but I just thought that might be a side effect of the stall.....Anyway at the end of this last summer I had to do a bunch of running around, out to Mesa, then to Glendale and as I was on the freeway I notice that when I let off the gas and then hit it again there would be a slight slip in rpm, even though the converter was locked.... and then the trans would engage and stop slipping, so I figured my 4th gear clutch pack was starting to go, it's really not a surprise since the stock setup is pretty weak on the 4L60E's when you start applying abuse to them.......The one thing I never addressed with the guys that rebuilt it the first time was the type of clutches to use and what other things I could do to make it last, and that is what bit me in the ass, as he just pretty much put stock replacement stuff in their........Now fast forward to today, I picked up my car from a place called SavOn Transmissions, Ernie is the owner and the guy that does all the rebuilds, he's pretty much the HotRod trany guy around here that if you want a trans built and built right, that's who you go to. Anyway we had already discussed putting a Z-pac in the 3-4th clutch pack and also installing a wider kevlar band, he also installed a new sprag and lock up valve along with putting the good clutches in the 1-2 clutch pack.....And I have to say I would have never thought that a trans rebuild would be so different from one guy doing it to the next....Before the trans felt kind of loose, now it feels tight, like it just wants to deliver the power, it shifts nice with a nice little kick, and the lockup works just like it's suppose to, it just feels like a totally different trany compared to how the other guy rebuilt it.......And the real good news is he told me $1500 to do the trans, but when I picked it up it only ended up being $1200....though that might be because he didn't have to replace my converter, as he supplies a new converter with every rebuild.......Anyway he told me to take it easy for a couple of hundred miles and then said to swing back by if I'm not liking something and he'll make sure it's working like I want it to.... Ernie is the man!!!!!

I also kind of kick myself for not bringing a camera, as he's got a couple of HotRods he's building for customers and he had a nice '69 Nova sitting up on the rack that he was putting a trany in..........

Good to have the ride back!!!!!!
    Last edited by TC; October 29, 2011, 10:25 AM.

Just let me know when it's broken in...
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

was tcc up and running ?
      no tcc and you smoke 4th gear

Comment

it's amazing when you find the right shop.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
          was tcc up and running ?
          no tcc and you smoke 4th gear
          The TCC worked, but it did a weird thing where it would lockup and then after about a mile of driving it would unlock and not lockup for like a another mile of driving and then it would lockup again and stay locked up........Funny thing is he said the reverse clutch pack was warn and pretty bad by the looks of it, which seems odd because I don't peel out or do anything abusive in reverse............ He did say he put a different lockup valve in it and I have to say it works great now!!!, locks up right where I have it programmed to(38mph).........

Comment

bad stoplight switch or screwball solenoid
            sucks bro

Comment

this si why auto trans one the one subject i paid real good atention in when i went to class.

so far every auto i have rebuilt has not faild including a 12 second Grand Prix with the 4T65. i am proud of that one
              Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
              Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                it's amazing when you find the right shop.
                You know SBG, isn't that the truth, I've used this guy before, he did the rebuild on the TH350 for my '71 GMC, but when it came to doing the rebuild on my Camaro I wanted more of a performance type shop to do my trans, thinking they would do a better job, I was wrong, and I can tell you just because a company has Performance in their name doesn't mean they know what they are doing...... Thing is I've always used Ernie for stock type rebuilds, I know he knows about how to hop up old trannies, but I wasn't sure about the newer stuff, which is why I went to the other shop the first time around....Lets just say I know better now..........Still kicking myself for not going to him first...........

Now to put the TA Performance Girdle cover on the rear, drive it for a couple of hundred miles and then go hit the track!!!!!!!

And Remy you'll be the first to know when I'm ready!!!!!!!
                Last edited by TC; October 28, 2011, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                  bad stoplight switch or screwball solenoid
                  sucks bro
                  Ya it sucks that I had to redo it, but then it's only money.......and at least it's fixed now, I can't wait to take it to the track and break in those nice new drag radials that I have!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                    and I can tell you just because a company has Performance in their name doesn't mean they know what they are doing......
                    One of my friend's often says, "You know when you are at the grocery store and you read a package that says 'gourmet' you know it's anything but"

Originally posted by TC View Post
                    Now to put the TA Performance Girdle cover on the rear, drive it for a couple of hundred miles and then go hit the track!!!!!!!
                    Careful, it has Performance in the title! j/k!
                    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; October 29, 2011, 07:03 AM. Reason: Part of my post was deleted....
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Forget the girdle and buy a strange 12 bolt

Comment

Working...
                      X