Cops these days ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cops these days ...

So I live approximately 2 blocks due east of Columbine High School. I have a senior (Stewie on here) and a freshman that go there.

I was out working in the garage yesterday, it was about 2:15, the time Stewie will be walking home from school. I was rolling up the hose in the front yard and I hear tires squealing as 2 cars come around the corner, and they proceed to race down the street. I take note of the plate #s and call the sheriff. Stewie comes home and tells me about how these kids were racing from the school and almost crashed into a fence when they went around the corner.

About ten minutes later I see a sheriff's car creeping around the neighborhood, he's just checking the area I suppose (after all, the racers are probably long gone by now). As I'm finishing up out front, low and behold here come the same two cars going the opposite way this time, again, racing and driving recklessly. Just as they pass the house, the sheriff turns the corner and sees them, needless to say, he pulls both cars over.

Here's the part that chaps my ass ....

I walk down to the corner, tell the sheriff that I'm the one that called. Turns out he's the school resource officer for Columbine. I give him a positive ID on both drivers, and then my neighbor from across the street pulls up and tells him he saw them both racing too, and ID'd them as well. I walk around the corner with Stewie, and he points out the yaw marks across the sidewalk where one of the cars almost went thru the fence, I point this out to the sheriff. In my opinion, these kids need a traffic ticket as well as contact their parents to make sure they are aware of the seriousness of it (they are both minors), and that is what I would have done.

So the sherriff explains to me that he does not want to cite the drivers, but that he would rather deal with it at school (they are Columbine students) giving them extra home work assignments and he will make them both write me and my neighbor a letter of apology ... he says he does this all the time with the students. I shook my head, laughed and walked away .... Does anybody else see a problem with this????
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

"When I was a kid....." But seriously, I'd have begged that cop to lock me up. That might keep my Dad away from me until he cooled down. A big ticket would have seemed cheap. I'm guessing that doesn't happen anymore.

Dan

Comment

In your neighborhood, there's too much human/property density to be doing that kind of crap. Kids should have been charged with reckless driving at the minimum.
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Oh, we don't want to make anyone FEEL bad......lets just talk about it. Say you are sorry boys. "Sorry, Mr Grumpy Neighborhoodman, we'll be back to see how you are doing later".

Our school just went through a lawsuit over documented bullying being condoned and allowed by the staff and administration. This was at the high school level.

What do you think the result was?

Cracking down on the Kindergarten kids. For real. Any Kindergarten kid who is being bullied, is immediately cracked down on.

Guess that will intimidate them while they are young, so they do not rat out the staff when they are older.

Grrrr.....
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
          So I live approximately 2 blocks due east of Columbine High School. I have a senior (Stewie on here) and a freshman that go there.

I was out working in the garage yesterday, it was about 2:15, the time Stewie will be walking home from school. I was rolling up the hose in the front yard and I hear tires squealing as 2 cars come around the corner, and they proceed to race down the street. I take note of the plate #s and call the sheriff. Stewie comes home and tells me about how these kids were racing from the school and almost crashed into a fence when they went around the corner.

About ten minutes later I see a sheriff's car creeping around the neighborhood, he's just checking the area I suppose (after all, the racers are probably long gone by now). As I'm finishing up out front, low and behold here come the same two cars going the opposite way this time, again, racing and driving recklessly. Just as they pass the house, the sheriff turns the corner and sees them, needless to say, he pulls both cars over.

Here's the part that chaps my ass ....

I walk down to the corner, tell the sheriff that I'm the one that called. Turns out he's the school resource officer for Columbine. I give him a positive ID on both drivers, and then my neighbor from across the street pulls up and tells him he saw them both racing too, and ID'd them as well. I walk around the corner with Stewie, and he points out the yaw marks across the sidewalk where one of the cars almost went thru the fence, I point this out to the sheriff. In my opinion, these kids need a traffic ticket as well as contact their parents to make sure they are aware of the seriousness of it (they are both minors), and that is what I would have done.

So the sherriff explains to me that he does not want to cite the drivers, but that he would rather deal with it at school (they are Columbine students) giving them extra home work assignments and he will make them both write me and my neighbor a letter of apology ... he says he does this all the time with the students. I shook my head, laughed and walked away .... Does anybody else see a problem with this????
          guess the sherriff remembers what it was like to be a highschool male with a car.. UNLIKE YOU that is holyer than tho.
          sorry bam bam,, some give a warning if it's the first time the kids had issue with the law, and not cause the kids parents insurance rate to go to the moon..

seems a ton of you b/s ers where angels behind the wheel..
          turn in your man cards ,,
          I know I know it was different when we did it, it alWAYS IS
          Last edited by Stich496; November 1, 2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

So everyone remembers Columbine right?...besides, "We'll Never Forget" .....

The underlying cause of that was bullying so they say. A vast majority of the regular kids told of how there's too much emphasis on sports and that the jocks are always picking on people and such. Policies were changed, a kid brought a butter knife to school and got expelled (i'm not making this up either) and now the principal says the problem is fixed.

Ask the kids and their friends .... NOPE!.... the jocks still rule the school. Bad grades are over looked during football season (at least they over look the non sports kids too during this time) but still.

And now a little bit of a back story. When we moved in here years ago, my wife did some research on what the county required to have speed bumps installed on the street. Our street is the only thoroughfare thru the neighborhood that DOES NOT have speed bumps. Petitions with a 75% support rate were required and provided by her to the county. The county did a traffic count, and I can't remember the exact # they needed, but we missed it by around 100 cars in a 24 hour period (they did the count during the summer when school was out). The county denied the speed bumps but said our commissioner could over ride it and suggested we contact his office....His solution was "you should probably sell your house and move to a cul de sac".

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
              guess the sherriff remembers what it was like to be a highschool male with a car.. UNLIKE YOU that is holyer than tho.
              sorry bam bam,, some give a warning if it's the first time the kids had issue with the law, and not cause the kids parents insurance rate to go to the moon..

Not holier than thou mark .... I got my share of tickets as a kid and I did my time.

But when 2 kids are street racing, thru a neighborhood where kids are walking home from school, losing control and going over sidewalks.... I don't think an apology letter will cut it!

At least the time I got popped for street racing, it was out in the middle of nowhere on a highway, not mid day in a neighborhood when school just let out!

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                thats got nothing to do with a kid racing on a street..
                bam bam.. GET A LIFE.. I'm sure you drive like a little old lady in your hot rodded a body and f body..
                another don't do as I do, do as I say..

Comment

Not holier than thou mark .... I got my share of tickets as a kid and I did my time.

But when 2 kids are street racing, thru a neighborhood where kids are walking home from school, losing control and going over sidewalks.... I don't think an apology letter will cut it!

At least the time I got popped for street racing, it was out in the middle of nowhere on a highway, not mid day in a neighborhood when school just let out!
                  bull shit.. I remember the smoke shows out of the lot with kids everywhere.. and I know it wasn't "just" my school that this crap happened.. sective memory
                  like I said above, it was different when we did it..it always is.. BUT THE TRUTH IS. IT AINT NO DIFFERENT AT ALL

Comment

Lots of "Kids" in San diego are killed each year street racing. It is a big deal here and that sheriff should have written a ticket, period.

In our neighborhood, which is all dirt roads with properties in the 1 to 3 acre range it is a fun pastime for people who don't live here to haul ass through the dirt especially when it rains, yee haw, sometimes people bring in their kids with dirt bikes, oh yeah we love this! Several drivin way too fast offenders have been chased down by residents and had the crap knocked out of them up near the highway as they are trying to escape.

Twitch, when I was a kid we did that crap up in the canyon or on the freeway not right through people's front yards! Yeah we all did it but NOT IN RESIDENTIAL AREAS! Maybe today's kids are just too stupid to try this stuff where they might actually get away with it. I am pretty sure Bamfster would not buzz your front yard at 60 miles an hour.

I like my neighborhood's vigilante approach, These are private roads and although police have permission to come in here they usually don't want to, it is dirty and bumpy and the culprit will be long gone before they get here. Word gets around about the crazy neighbors and until a new batch of morons gets there licenses we are relatively clear of the 60 mile an hour idiot brigade.

Gail
                    Last edited by LORENSWIFE; November 1, 2011, 12:52 PM.
                    That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

bull shit.. I remember the smoke shows out of the lot with kids everywhere.. and I know it wasn't "just" my school that this crap happened.. sective memory
                      like I said above, it was different when we did it..it always is.. BUT THE TRUTH IS. IT AINT NO DIFFERENT AT ALL
                      So I guess when "you" were a kid, the cops always cut you some slack when you got caught? I never got a break .....

And yes I do drive my cars responsibly .... I've grown up! I might not use my signal every time, sometimes I'm sure I'm probably over the posted speed limit. But once I turn into a neighborhood, especially when there are kids everywhere, I try to be extra cautious, but I guess according to your logic, I should get a pass if I decide to street race somebody on my way to pick up my daughter at the elementary school, afterall, I haven't had a ticket in over 25 years .... I'll tell 'em you said it was ok.....

Comment

So I guess when "you" were a kid, the cops always cut you some slack when you got caught? I never got a break .....

And yes I do drive my cars responsibly .... I've grown up! I might not use my signal every time, sometimes I'm sure I'm probably over the posted speed limit. But once I turn into a neighborhood, especially when there are kids everywhere, I try to be extra cautious, but I guess according to your logic, I should get a pass if I decide to street race somebody on my way to pick up my daughter at the elementary school, afterall, I haven't had a ticket in over 25 years .... I'll tell 'em you said it was ok.....
                        YOU'RE NOT 17 EITHER.. and no I didn't get out of every ticket.. and the once I did, didn't matter much as my family(mothers side) are cops and with an odd last name, they all knew when I got popped and my mom knew before I got home that I'd got pooped.. but at 16-17-18 we still did it..
                        and at 41 I'l still smoke the tires, cherp 2nd.. and your a lier if you say you don't do the same on public streets.. every now and again..
                        ya at your age you might not do it. when kids are walking home from school.. but you don't think like a 17y/o either..
                        try remembering what you where like at that age.. worry'n about actions outcomes never crossed thy mind, untill after they hand you the ticket for 25 buck for every inch of black mark you left on the road.. then you go Oh shit..

Comment

So if junior only ever gets a "warning" from Johnny Law since he thinks it's only the kids first time in trouble with the law, how is the next cop supposed to know he's been stopped 17 times already for the same thing?

Comment

YOU'RE NOT 17 EITHER.. and no I didn't get out of every ticket.. and the once I did, didn't matter much as my family(mothers side) are cops and with an odd last name, they all knew when I got popped and my mom knew before I got home that I'd got pooped.. but at 16-17-18 we still did it..
                            and at 41 I'l still smoke the tires, cherp 2nd.. and your a lier if you say you don't do the same on public streets.. every now and again..
                            ya at your age you might not do it. when kids are walking home from school.. but you don't think like a 17y/o either..
                            try remembering what you where like at that age.. worry'n about actions outcomes never crossed thy mind, untill after they hand you the ticket for 25 buck for every inch of black mark you left on the road.. then you go Oh shit..
                            Everytime you got pooped?....WTH Mark?....sorry, I had too.....all in good fun.

Besides, I just admitted I do it. And I will stick by my belief, that no matter how old you are, you know better than to drive that way under those circumstances, even more so nowadays with all the requirements and instructions required before kids get their license.

And NO! I never drove that way in populated residential areas when I was a kid .... and I still don't/won't do it today.

Comment

god help your kids

Comment

Working...
                              X