X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeah , go bitch to your banker

Comment

• Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
      in 76 , there were great cars with 350/350 combos , cadillacs with a 500 and th400 , caprices , olds 455

they weren't all vegas , pintos , gremlins

I can't think of a anything in '76 that made any power stock. I'm glad they didn't though, because it left a lot of good foundations for power in the junkyards assuming they had any oil in them - and don't even try to tell me your 350 didn't leak in '76. They didn't make enough power to hurt themselves. I had a '76 Monte Carlo 350/350 and it was a PIG stock. It rode great though, and man I wish I had kept those swivel buckets!

Mark, really? Compared to anything compact made here in 76 the Accord was a sewing machine of precision.

BTW, I traded in a Craftsman 1/2 ratched yesterday, brand new and busted. I had written "Crap" on it with a sharpie so I didn't keep picking it up and trying to use it. "Syed" the Sears guy took about 5 minutes to swap it for the new one that is marginally less crappy by virtue of actually ratcheting. The forging is pretty crappy looking. Sorry, forgot to get pictures.
      Last edited by Beagle; November 13, 2011, 02:45 AM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
        I can't think of a anything in '76 that made any power stock. I'm glad they didn't though, because it left a lot of good foundations for power in the junkyards assuming they had any oil in them - and don't even try to tell me your 350 didn't leak in '76. They didn't make enough power to hurt themselves. I had a '76 Monte Carlo 350/350 and it was a PIG stock. It rode great though, and man I wish I had kept those swivel buckets!

Mark, really? Compared to anything compact made here in 76 the Accord was a sewing machine of precision.

BTW, I traded in a Craftsman 1/2 ratched yesterday, brand new and busted. I had written "Crap" on it with a sharpie so I didn't keep picking it up and trying to use it. "Syed" the Sears guy took about 5 minutes to swap it for the new one that is marginally less crappy by virtue of actually ratcheting. The forging is pretty crappy looking. Sorry, forgot to get pictures.
        like the music question .. WHERE ARE THEY NOW?
        everyone of them had a trail of blue smoke following them... we had 2 at school.. both under 10k on them.. they where donated to the school at some point.. 10k and smoking... come on.. the rear drive toyota was different even if the clutch couldn't hold that weak power plant.. and inless they never saw rain.. they turned to dust .
        anyone that thinks they where engineering marvals has blinders on..
        if you call having to change out rings as offen as you'd do on a road bike back then, "a sewing machine of precision"
        then I guess your right..

Comment

• Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
          like the music question .. WHERE ARE THEY NOW?
          everyone of them had a trail of blue smoke following them... we had 2 at school.. both under 10k on them.. they where donated to the school at some point.. 10k and smoking... come on.. the rear drive toyota was different even if the clutch couldn't hold that weak power plant.. and inless they never saw rain.. they turned to dust .
          anyone that thinks they where engineering marvals has blinders on..
          if you call having to change out rings as offen as you'd do on a road bike back then, "a sewing machine of precision"
          then I guess your right..
          Dude - they ran like clocks down here. Maybe your guys up there could look into:

a) air filters
          b) oil changes.

I had an uncle with two of them, and they both went over 100k with nothing but normal maintenance before getting traded in. Something I could not say of anything I owned that was built in '76. The Chevy would oil change in the driveway by OSMOSIS.

Sorry you guys didn't know how to wash a car either. No rust problems down here... but most folks wash them anyway. You do remember Dodges of the era right? Evaporate so fast they had to change their entire marketing scheme?

Your memory is what you remember.. so I doubt you can be persuaded. The rest of the planet obviously didn't have a big problem with the weak suck Celica compared to the Monza with an iron duke, or the 13mpg weak suck 305 powered Olds Firenza complete with self ingesting camshaft.

I'm not defending this junk by any means, but we sure did a lot of word changing for our junk to compete. Remember the phrase "Ergonomics" ? I don't remember seeing it before the Japanese junk started flooding our market. A market which rushed to buy their junk because it worked, it was easy to use, and you didn't have to feed it gas and oil on a daily basis.

My new Craftsman wrench looks like poop. Let's keep this on topic.
          Last edited by Beagle; November 13, 2011, 03:29 AM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
            well well.. don't worry we'll be a 3rd w country soon at this rate...
            it isn't we have no skilled labor.. wake up..
            and it's not that everyone thinks the "world owes them" or they want to start at the top..
            it's the fact that the cost to live is higher than what a company that might open a factory is willing to pay..
            if you can't afford to live, it's not in the best interest to work that job.. simple..
            where 30k a year might be good money.. you'll be hard pressed to live off that here.. without government help..
            it just cost to much.. you're not gonna get people to work for 15k a year if it take 25k to squeak by..
            something,, people/companies and that post of yours forgets..
            just to prove a point..
            easton/brockton studio apartment 850.00
            electric monthly 100.00+
            heat---------------------------might be included
            thats just a roof over thy head, and your at 12k a year, now add food, insurance REQUIRED.. car 2000.00 avg a year on a beater
            health 150+ a month for a single.. maybe something to put on your back.. the vehicle to get to that job..reliable p.o.s. are 3000.00+ not everyone is mechanicly inclined.. repairs and up keep on said p.o.s.
            public transport is an option.. from my house to quincy(17 miles) for a job it be 297.00 a month for a T pass..
            but hay.. kids are slackers because they don't move out.. but are dreamers for wanting a job that pay the bills..
            I live in NY... Suffolk county... Just as expensive, if not more...

My point is that many people feel they deserve more for doing less. Honestly, you kind of sound just like the Wall street protesters...

There is nothing wrong with dreaming... However, wanting a job for 50 k a year, with no experience and a degree in fine arts does not fly with me. There are ways to get free training and develop your skill set, so that you can find a good job. Everyone has to start somewhere..

If you are living at home, guess what? 30k a year is not a bad way to start somewhere... Don't mooch off your parents... The difference in age of skilled manual labor and unskilled seems to be a bit bigger then most of us want to admit to... Nobody wants to be the guy who sweeps the floor anymore. Everyone wants to be a manager or supervisor... How do you get there without experience? At the very least some knowledge?

Let's take labor out of the picture for second... Where and how does the factory get everything it needs to function and produce it's widgets? Locally? Abroad? What is the total cost? Then to get it to market... Now add in your labor... Not much if anything left over to put in your pocket...

We as a country need to find a medium that will allow business to grow while being responsible. A difficult task, but one that we as voters and citizens need to recognize. We need to address it, by making our voices heard as much as possible.

Stating a problem with out trying to offer a solution does nothing.

Comment

he does not believe in AMERICAN exceptionalism
              post ww2 , the rest of the world follows us
              I think he is in the landscaping business , employing illegals and avoiding taxes
              LMAO!

I won't attack what you do for a living. Simply, because attacking a person's livelihood is just wrong... I can see how you would go there... I won't. Rest assured, I do not have a landscaping business, nor do I employ illegal immigrants. I enjoy what I do... I get to see things built, by all walks of life and deal with everyone from the brick layer on up... Among other things...

We are in the 21st century and I do not want the USA to be thought of as a third world country. So we need to step up and do something... That really is all I am saying... Put up or shut up.

Crying like a little bitch really won't change anything.

This is supposed to be a car board... The post was about the crappy tools sold by Summit that are not made here. As usual, like clockwork. The angry folks come out with their cry of buy American. Really? As if nobody else has every thought the same... The question is always asked, but never answered... HOW?

I would love to by an American anything if it were well made, priced competitively and had good back end service. Unfortunately, things like radios, tv's, washing machines, cars, planes, trains, screws, tools, tires, fish, and many other things are either from another country or contain parts from other countries. However, this is true for most of the planet. As a country we need to find a way to use our leverage in the free world to be a part of those countries that need what we have... Change the focus from what we used to be to what we need to become to stay in front and be that world power.

Either way, we have yet again beat this topic into the ground... With the same outcome...
              Last edited by bnjny; November 13, 2011, 12:26 PM.

Comment

in 76 , there were great cars with 350/350 combos , cadillacs with a 500 and th400 , caprices , olds 455

they weren't all vegas , pintos , gremlins
                from wikipedia, cadillac 500 motors:

1970 500ci 400 hp @ 4400 rpm 550 lb
                1976 500ci 190 hp @ 3600 rpm 360 lb

190 hp? the th400 probably ate half of that...

just my

i did run a 72 coup deville in a demolition derby, it did rather well
                Last edited by ogre; November 14, 2011, 05:30 PM.
                HRPT Long Hauler 2011, 2012, 2014

Comment

• You have to Watch out everywhere now . I buy some Snap-On, check out all the china crap on the truck these days.fbs
                  Why would I be on this high$$$ truck? To buy crap I guess. Costco is even selling snap-on, made in china. As someone
                  who lived 30 mi. from Kenosha, it has me pissed.

Comment

• Originally posted by ogre View Post
                    from wikipedia, cadillac 500 motors:

1970 500ci 400 hp @ 4400 rpm 550 lb
                    1976 500ci 190 hp @ 3600 rpm 360 lb

190 hp? the th400 probably ate half of that...

just my

i did run a 72 coup deville in a demolition derby, it did rather well
                    not muscle cars , 2 things , compression dropped to below 8:1 and they use NET Hp ratings ,,a 76 cad rolls down the road pretty good , but the cars held together

Comment

• Originally posted by ss427 View Post
                      You have to Watch out everywhere now . I buy some Snap-On, check out all the china crap on the truck these days.fbs
                      Why would I be on this high$$$ truck? To buy crap I guess. Costco is even selling snap-on, made in china. As someone
                      who lived 30 mi. from Kenosha, it has me pissed.
                      snap on at costco is just flash lights

Comment

Working...
                      X