Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Score of the day or how do I move a lathe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Score of the day or how do I move a lathe?

I get a call from the supervisor for the custodians this morning if I would disconnect 2 pieces of equipment in the woodshop. Not thinking too much about it I put it off till late this afternoon after I finished fixing a pesky steam leak. I drive around to the back of the HS and what do I see sitting outside, an old Clausing variable speed lathe from the early 60's, looks to be a 6" swing. Inside is an equally old Kalamazoo horizontal bandsaw also free for the taking. I called my boss, he said sure take em, he was going to call a scrap dealer

I'm thinking of bringing my trailer along with a sling and my engine lift. Also the logistics, do I really need it? The down side is it's 3 phase which means I'll have to get a new motor, cheaper then a converter...unless I find one for free which I seriously doubt. I'm definitely going to take the saw.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

You need it. The mechanic and I at work have been playing the why we need a lathe game. Today it was bushings for a hinged seat mount.
    Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

I moved my whole mezzanine on the car trailer - from Columbus. Worked fine. Also used the cherry picker to unload (there was a forklift at the warehouse) and that went well, too. I'd say take the cherry picker and some slings - those suckers are as heavy as ......cast iron. Either you'll need it or not and it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

But yeah - a big ol' well-made lathe and a he-man band saw - gotta have it!! They aren't tossing a Bridgeport are they? I could use one for some head work I have coming up.

Dan

Comment

Depends on how heavy the lathe is, if you can partly take it apart you might be able to move it without the hoist, but if it's got a built in bench then you will need the hoist. A forklift is better. A 6" diameter swing lathe could be light, or kinda heavy it depends.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

6" is limited in it's uses - but sure beats not having one if you have room to store it.
          I would be much more excited about a vertical band saw - but horizontals are nice to have too, especially free.

If it turns out to be a major PITA and you decide you don't want to deal with the hassle - sell on craigslist or scrap.... win either way.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I'll take some pictures tomorrow.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

NIce score!

You can build your own phase converter for almost nothing out of cast off parts. All you need is to find a free 3 pase motor of at least 1.5 times the horsepower of the motor you want to run, a 1/3 - 1/2 horse 110v motor, a belt and 2 pullys. If you scounge around this stuff is not hard to find free or dirt cheap. If you need details on how to build it, let me know.

Comment

You can move darn near anything with a few peeler cores and a handful of slaves...
                Loren's shop moved home during the month of October, as soon as we recover we will post the epic journey.
                Gail
                That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Wood lathe or metal lathe?
                  Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                  1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                  1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                  1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                  1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                  1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Score!!!
                    I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                      I'm presuming wood since he said the woodshop called

forklifts is far cheaper than back surgery is.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

A forklift is nice. I you don't have access to one, you could always winch it onto a trailer. Lag a couple of 4x4's on the feet first though.

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                          Metal
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

6" metal lathe is like Squirrel said, could be doable, or could be royal suckage heavy. You can probably disassemble it down to the ways and manage it, but if it's on an old timey cast iron base stand, that sucker might need some leverage. Even a metal cabinet under them will be unwieldy and heavy.

Which, of course, means you need it. Badly. They are great fun to play with if nothing else.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Start hitting the gym!
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X