Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Anybody Else Here Lose the Census Lottery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Anybody Else Here Lose the Census Lottery?

I don't want this to be political....well I hope it's not.

This is the US census on steroids, sent to..3 million "housing units?"

We got one, Unit handles the mail and most of the bills so she's fretting over it, what to do.

To read up on it : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Community_Survey

The survey is 15 pages long, VERY intrusive. Very. In intricate detail, how much did you spend on water bills last year? 15 pages.

If anybody here got one, what did you do? Did you fill it out or not? This is a ridiculous intrusion on privacy, or at least so we see it. And there's a lot of pressurized text to go with it on the envelope and everywhere else (including the person with the Census that Unit talked to on the phone) that says we are required by law to complete and submit the form, and it takes only about 40 minutes to complete it, that is, if you have all the numbers at your fingertips to do it in truth.

Anybody familiar with it?
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I thought the Census was over in 2010.....
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
      I thought the Census was over in 2010.....
      That's what I mean. This doesn't make sense. Not at all...

Comment

This package came from:

U.S Department of Commerce
        Economics and Statistics Administration
        U.S Census Bureau
        1201 East 10th Street
        Jeffersonville IN 47132-0001

This just sucks. It sucks shards of steel, all of it.

Comment

It is a sampling to gauge what the 'average' American spends on living...

If you find it intrusive... Then be prepared for phone calls and perhaps a in person visit.... It is only a misdemeanor of a c-note...

Why is it people will 'die' for their country but do not want to help with information?

Comment

There's even a site where you can go and complete the intrusive 15-page form online:

The American Community Survey (ACS) is a mandatory, ongoing statistical survey that samples a small percentage of the population every year.

We need some advice here. I know the odds are long if they only sent out 3 million of them that anybody here might have gotten this "forced invitation," but to us, this is over the top. Way over. Way way way over.

Comment

Originally posted by bnjny View Post
              It is a sampling to gauge what the 'average' American spends on living...

If you find it intrusive... Then be prepared for phone calls and perhaps a in person visit.... It is only a misdemeanor of a c-note...

Why is it people will 'die' for their country but do not want to help with information?
              Big Brother. The questions are intrusive. I (we) simply feel like there are some things that are personal information, cash flow and such. Maybe I'm wrong. Probably AM wrong.

Comment

It came in the mail? Can they prove you received it?
                Remember the 75 year old post cards they are delivering.

Nick

Comment

I'm curious, was it addressed specifically to you, or to 'occupant' or 'current resident'...? I wonder if it's totally random, or a targeted sample they're after.
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Peewee - I'd call your Congressman and find out if this is even a legitimate thing. It's the wrong year and could be a case of information mining. If it IS a legitimate thing I'd find out how to bypass it if you feel uncomfortable with it. Gotta be a way to opt out.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                      I'm curious, was it addressed specifically to you, or to 'occupant' or 'current resident'...? I wonder if it's totally random, or a targeted sample they're after.
                      "Occupant" at our address.

EDIT: Sorry, it was addressed "To The Resident Of."

We're scanning in the postcard that followed the package. They're persisting.
                      Last edited by pdub; November 2, 2011, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I think Dan has the right answer. I'd verify it's validity before returning it. Even though it's addressed so as to indicate it's random, chances are there is a bar code or some other form of identity in it that can be used to track it......for whatever reason.
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

This postcard followed the fat package:

Click image for larger version

Name:	census.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	858329

Comment

As a followup (though nobody's got a real reason to be interested), we filled out the dadgum 6000 question survey, or I did - online, just to get rid of the issue.

Unit called our district's congressman's office and they didn't know anything about it.

That dadblame survey...how much money did you make last year? was the most intrusive question....no, they all were, in fact. Huge multiple choice questions with radio buttons to click - do you have flushing toilets? Does anybody else you've not listed live with you? Are you SURE? Anybody just visiting for a real long time?

What a bunch of rabble. Unit's an administrator on another forum, and they got all riled up about the concept. One guy from Texas said they'd have to get past his badass yard dogs if he didn't fill it out and they came knocking for answers. So we're not the only ones that think it's the biggest bunch of junk ever. The same guy from Texas said his response to the real census form was, "3." Three people live there, and he didn't fill out anything else.

But we did it. Case closed. Whatever. We lost the lottery when we got that package, at random, addressed to "Resident" or whatever. I filled it out online because Unit was fretting over it so bad I wanted to stop the worry. Whatever.

Comment

So they know how much you made last year? Do they know your SS#? Blood type? DL info? Actual place of employment?

If someone was fishing for info, that would be the info they want... How much you made last year is to figure out based on the total response what kind of services can be afforded and may be needed in your area...

After you have verified that it is in fact a real survey... Why not? Especially if it may help?

Comment

Working...
                              X