Jumper Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumper Cables

Well, I start employment again on Tuesday. I've got a few things I'm looking for that I really need.
    I've been using my dad's 25 year old jumper cables, they've been good, but I want a new set.
    I can't seem to find any that are heavy, long, and made here in the USA
    Does anybody make those here anymore?
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

If you can find good ones, they probably cost more than a battery! so just buy a new battery and be done with it
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback View Post
      Well, I start employment again on Tuesday. I've got a few things I'm looking for that I really need.
      I've been using my dad's 25 year old jumper cables, they've been good, but I want a new set.
      I can't seem to find any that are heavy, long, and made here in the USA
      Does anybody make those here anymore?
      try local truck stop.
      Iknow what you mean about cables..
      mention 12v and it turns into something asian.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

We were coerced into buying the new "smart jumper cables," where there is no red or black. A box in the line determines what you need.

Supposedly old jumper cables can fry the computer on a new car, so go figure. I dunno.
        Last edited by pdub; November 2, 2011, 02:58 PM.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Stop by your local electric supply company and buy the appropriate length of welding cable and 4 clamp connectors. Be sure they're welding cable as the stuff with thicker strands will fatigue and break the strands. You'll have the cables from Hell and the length is limited only by your budget. The budget will likely also determine the gage you make 'em out of - bigger is always better but remember you'll have to carry them. Copper is bucks-up right now but the good stuff will last forever. A friend did this some time ago and they were KILLER.

Almost forgot to add - he marked + and - buy shrinking on a short length of heat shrink in red and green - worked great. He decided to mark both + and - in case one of the markings got rubbed off.

I got a good set of Coopers many moons ago - US made and insulated with a silicone rubber compound. They're at least 25 years old and still work like new.

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; November 2, 2011, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            Almost forgot to add - he marked + and - buy shrinking on a short length of heat shrink in red and green - worked great. He decided to mark both + and - in case one of the markings got rubbed off.
            spray paint the whole clamp with red or black paint, depending on if it's the positive or negative cable.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

Never actually thought of making my own, good idea!
              Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

It's a great idea until you price wire.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

It'll be pricey but a life-long investment.

Dan

Comment

whatever you decide... new, or home-fabbed...

Hide 'em.

Whenever you're not using 'em. They WILL get borrowed.
                    Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

You should just buy a new battery and go down to Harbor Freight and get a set of cables for $8 and give them to your Mom.
                      Don't be late on your first day.
                      Originally posted by TC
                      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

#1 welding lead was 4 or 5 bucks per foot last time i checked. that would be a killer way to go especially if you are trying to jump something like diesels get a set of those quick connectors for one end to mount somewhere too. i have to say i never had a problem with the cables i do have though. i have plenty of welding lead and i cant bring myself to chop a section up for jumper cables.

Comment

Working...
                        X