F1 Coming To The Neighborhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 Coming To The Neighborhood

Gov. Chris Christie today announced the signing of an agreement to host an annual Formula 1 Grand Prix of America at Port Imperial in Weehawken and West New York starting two summers from now.

"I am pleased that New Jersey will play host to Formula 1 beginning in 2013, bringing one of the world's most popular and exciting sports right to our backyard. These races will showcase Weehawken and West New York, as well as our state and region to an international audience, while strengthening both the local and regional economies," said Christie.

"The three-day event will bring very positive economic activity to the region, while giving fans of the sport in our region and around the world an exciting, new venue to experience Formula 1 racing. This is another example of how New Jersey remains a leader in hosting marquee national and international sporting and entertainment events like the Super Bowl, NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament, and the Ironman Triathlon in various parts of our state," he added.

The governor was joined by Weehawken Mayor Richard Turner, West New York Mayor Felix Roque, YES Network founding chairman and former CEO Leo Hindery, County Executive Thomas DeGise, and former President and GM of Lowe's Motor
    Speedway Humpy Wheeler.

nj-formula1-track.jpgView full sizeA map of the track.
    F1-race-map.jpgGoogle MapsThe map version of the course, which starts at the ferry terminal at the Avenue at Port Imperial, heads south and veers left at Ferry Boulevard; then veers right at Pershing Road; travels north on Pershing Road and merges onto Boulevard East between 47th and 48th streets; then turns right at 60th Street onto Anthony DeFino Way; then makes a sharp right at River Road onto Port Imperial Boulevard again and heads south; then turns left on a service road; then right onto the Avenue at Port Imperial near the terminal/finish line.

The races, which will receive no subsidies from either local or state government, will bring investment to New Jersey and the surrounding region each year, state officials said. They are scheduled to start in June 2013.

And while Formula 1 is currently awaiting a formal economic impact study, the races anticipate hundreds of millions in economic development over the life of the ten year agreement.

"The announcement of a New Jersey-based Formula 1 race is great news for motor sports fans in North America," said Steve Sexton, president of Circuit of the Americas. "It will be a unique street course race and is yet another acknowledgement of the viability, demand, economic benefit and prestige a Grand Prix brings to a region."

RELATED: Residents mixed on Formula 1 plan.

During the announcement, the group also released renderings of the course itself that will be run on existing streets in the municipalities, with the New York City skyline and Hudson River as the backdrop.

The race will be a 3.2 mile road race, run on existing roads through Port Imperial and at the top of the Palisades in Weehawken and West New York. Upwards of 100,000 people are expected to attend each race, starting with practice on Friday, qualifying on Saturday, and racing on Sunday and able to take NJ Transit and PATH to the races.

I watched in Dallas one year from the hotel pool bar... the hotel we were in was right on one of the corners. Freaking awesome. Grand Prix is kinda cool in that you hear so many different engine noises during the day.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I got to watch the detroit grand prix one year from one of the four towers that surround the GM headquarters now... It was a hotel back then and Lexis-Nexis (whom i worked for) had a sales office in another tower, so I scheduled a maintenance trip for that weekend... BaHaHaHa....<evil laugh.....It sucked. I couldn't see but one corner, the windows were sealed shut so i couldn't hardly hear nuthin', I tried goin outside and they hit me with a $30 charge just to get to a spot where I could see over the wall..?! ?!..My rental car was locked in the garage for the whole day cause they put those concrete barriers across the entrance and I didn't know it.

someday i'll win the lottery and go first class. TO A NASCAR RACE!! !! !!

turbocharged sewingmachines on parade.
      Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Spidey, if you can manage to get tix to see it...do so before Bernie Eccelstone pulls the plug like he did here in Indy.

Not a question of IF, merely WHEN. Will give the cars their due...nasty little screamers.

Comment

he may or may not get a good crowd here

there is a lot of big money residents in the formerly gritty riverfront towns of ft lee , union city weehawken , edgewater , hoboken jersey city
          time ill tell , they have to lay down a lot of asphalt

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
            they have to lay down a lot of asphalt
            at least fill some/most of the bigger potholes, maybe orange cones in the smaller ones.........do they have the cash? seriously. Honestly I haven't been to NJ in 10 yrs. back then there were potholes bigger than lake Erie! lol..... I love F1 cars - just think the racin' should be different.
            Last edited by oldsman496; November 5, 2011, 08:33 PM.
            Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Joygasm!!!
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Eleven Reasons Why Formula One Will Flop in New Jersey

11. Squeegie men that Gulliani chased out of NYC clog the grid.

10. All the grid girls look like Snookie and J-Woww, causing the drivers to flee en masse.

9. Mobsters "boost" all of the racecars before qualifying.

8. Toxic waste fumes don't mix with bree and caviar.

7. Organizers insist on replacing celebratory Mumm Champagne with "40s" of malt liquor.

6. Garden State residents expect actual knock-outs in "knock out qualifying."

5. No one in New Jersey can remember how to fill a pothole.

4. Governor Christie consumes the entire pre-race buffet.

3. Track is so covered with graffiti that the drivers get lost.

2. Bernie Ecclestone runs out of money on the New Jersey Parkway.

1. No junkyard Chevy V8s on nitrous.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ weak,, where is the one 1A no ford

Comment

If F1 were a contest of driving while texting, doing makeup, eating a burrito, fiddling with a GPS, playing Angry Birds, all one-handed with the other hand out the window flipping off other drivers....

Then NJ would win the World Championship. They'd OWN it.

Oh, yeah.... and no pit stops to change your oil or make adjustments/repairs (NJ drivers don't do oil chgs/repairs unless its a 'Benz), only stops allowed are to have a Central American dude wash the car and a Pakistani guy fill it with gas. Turban required.
                    Last edited by Caveman Tony; November 6, 2011, 06:25 AM.
                    Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

All the cars are going to need an EZ pass at turn 4, or get a ticket. If its a go im going to go it pretty cool and something different.
                      There will be a mall in the pit area too.

Comment

the tickets will be like a thousand dollars

Comment

Yeah a grand and you get your car confiscated and you get a beating in the court room.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^ like whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
                              If F1 were a contest of driving while texting, doing makeup, eating a burrito, fiddling with a GPS, playing Angry Birds, all one-handed with the other hand out the window flipping off other drivers....

Then NJ would win the World Championship. They'd OWN it.

Oh, yeah.... and no pit stops to change your oil or make adjustments/repairs (NJ drivers don't do oil chgs/repairs unless its a 'Benz), only stops allowed are to have a Central American dude wash the car and a Pakistani guy fill it with gas. Turban required.
                              LOL! "[D]riving while texting, doing makeup, eating a burrito . . . " reminds me of a former secretary. She must have been from NJ.

Comment

Working...
                              X