Buying someone else’s hot rod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying someone else’s hot rod.

I’m been wanting to buy a 2 door post Fairmont for a while now. I did not intend to build it up like this one but I don’t have a garage right now and am stalling whenever I see a project car because of it. I am also not that well versed in ford speak. D-4 heads? E-6 block?

I know I would have to take some converter and gear out of it or its going to drive me nuts.

UP FOR SALE OR TRADE IS MY 1979 FORD FAIRMONT. I CAN'T EVEN BELIEVE I'M THAT I'M LISTING THIS.... SOMETHING TELLS ME THAT IT IS JUST TIME TO LET HER GO...
    WELL, LET'S START WITH THE MOTOR. HAS UNDER 30 MILES. IT IS A E-6 302 BLOCK THAT HAS BEEN BORED .030 OVER. KEITH BLACK 10.3 TO 1 PISTONS, EAGLE RODS, STOCK CRANK THAT HAS BEEN CROSS-DRILLED AND NITRATED, MELLING OIL PUMP, MOTOR-SPORT ROLLER CHAIN, TRICK FLOW STAGE TWO CAM. THE HEADS ARE FORD D-4 49 CC, PORTED, 1.94 AND 1.60 CHEVY VALVES, GUIDE PLATES, SCREW IN STUDS, HARLAND-SHARP ROLLER ROCKERS, TEFLON SEALS.... UP TOP THERE IS A VICTOR JR INTAKE WITH A HOLLY 750. MALLORY UNILITE DISTRIBUTOR LOCKED OUT, MSD 6-AL IGNITION WITH REMOTE MSD TIMEING ADJUST. MSD BLASTER COIL. EDELBROCK 100 HP NOS KIT. THE EXHUST EXITS THROUGH A CUSTOM MADE SET OF "KOOKS" 1-7/8" FULL-LENGTH HEADERS AND GOES INTO 3" ALUMINIZED DUALS WITH 2 CHAMBER FLOW MASTERS WITH DUMPS. (SOUNDS TOTALLY AWSOME) THE FRONT OF THE MOTOR HAS A REALLY NICE "MARCH" UNDER-DRIVE PULLY SYSTEM WITH ALL THE BILLET BRACKETS. ONE WIRE 100 AMP ALTERNATOR. HIGH TORQUE MINI STARTER.
    THE TRANS IS A B&M C-4 WITH ALL THE GOODIES, AND A COAN 8" 4500 CONVERTER THAT WILL "FLASH" TO 5000.
    ALUMINUM DRIVE SHAFT, 8.8 MUSTANG REAR-END WITH 4.30 GEARS, TRACTION LOCK, MOSER AXLES AND A TRICK-FLOW COVER.
    ADJUSTABLE UPPER CONTROL ARMS, AND SOUTH-SIDE LOWERS.
    THE FRAME HAS BEEN FULLY CONNECTED, WITH REMOVEABLE DRIVE-SHAFT LOOP.
    THE FRONT HAS D&D TUBULAR K-MEMBER AND CONTROL ARMS, COIL-OVER STRUTS WITH D&D ADJUSTABLE UPPER STRUT MOUNTS. 10 GAL FUEL CELL WITH A CARTER 110 GPM PUMP, MALLORY REGULATOR WITH RETURN, PRESS-LOC LINE.
    FLAMING-RIVER MANUAL STEERING RACK, AND FLAMING RIVER POLISHED STEERING COLUM.
    COMLPETE "PAINLESS" WIREING THROUGH OUT. GRANT GT LEATHER STEERING WHEEL, B&M PRO-STICK SHIFTER WITH A CHEETA COMMAND CENTER. THE DASH IS COMPLETLY HAND MADE IN GOOD TASTE, WITH FULL AUTOMETER GUAGES. PIONEER SUPER-TUNER CD WITH AUDIO-BAHN SPEAKERS. FULLY ADJUSTABLE PADDED RACING SEATS, WITH 5 POINT HARNES. NEW CARPET, AND HEADLINER. 10 POINT ROLL CAGE CONNECTED TO FRAME, SWING-OUT SIDE BARS FOR EASY ENTRY.
    THE BODY IS VERY SOLID AND STRAIGHT, PAINTED WITH "HOUSE OF COLOR" MARBLEIZED CANDY COLBALT BLUE WITH PLENTY OF CLEAR. BOSS 429 HOOD SCOOP. UNDER THE CAR HAS BEEN PAINTED IN A MEDIUM BLUE ENAMEL AND LOOKS FANTISTIC.
    WELD WHEELS DRAG LITES WITH MICKEY THOMPSON 27 X 10.50 15 STREET E.T.S IN GREAT SHAPE.

THE CAR RUNS GREAT AND IS VERY STREET FRIENDLY. IT HAS ALMOST 3000 MILES SINCE COMPLETE BUILD ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO. AND THE MOTOR WAS JUSE FRESHEND. I DRIVE ID TO ALOT OF LOCAL CRUISES WITH GREAT RESULTS. IT TURNS HEADS AND GETS TONS OF COMPLEMTS EVERYWHARE. IT HAS WON "BEST PAINT" SEVERAL TIMES AND HAS TAKEN 1ST AND 2ND PLACE IN THE SHOWS.
    IT HAS NEVER BEEN TO THE TRACK, BUT IT LEAVES VERY HARD ON THE STREET AND GOES STRAIGHT. IT SHOULD GO HIGH 11'S - VERY LOW 12'S ALL DAY LONG. I AM A STATE CERTIFED MASTER MECHANIC AND I HAVE SPENT MANY EVENINGS OVER THE YEARS RESEARCHING THE BUILD OF THIS CAR AND WORKING THE BUGS OUT WITH ALOT OF FINE TUNING. THE CAR WEIGHS JUST UNDER 2800 POUNDS. the pictures do this car no justice.
    LIKE I SAID, I HATE TO GET RID OF IT, BUT IT JUST THAT TIME. THE CAR WAS APRAISED A FEW YEARS AGO FOR $20,000.00 AND HAS ONLY BEEN IMPROVED ON SINCE. I AM ASKING $7800.00 FOR IT RIGHT NOW, THERE IS WELL OVER $20,000.00 INVESTED.
    I AM OPEN TO OFFERS AND MAYBE A TRADE OF NEAR VALUE. I AM INTERESTED IN LOOKING FOR A SN-95 TYPE MUSTANG, BUT DON'T BE AFRAID TO CALL ME WITH WHAT YA HAVE. I ALSO HAVE MANY PICTURES THAT CAN BE SENT BY REQUEST. GIVE ME A CALL IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION.

Re: Buying someone else’s hot rod.

The only thing that scares me is the "only 30 miles since freshened" thing.

That usually means "I messed something up, I'm tired of taking it apart to fix it" - but, you're a car guy, give it a healthy look over and offer him what's fair. The car is clean!! almost too clean for a fairmont. They're light, easy to make quick (foxbody suspension!). Loads of fun!

-scott
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

E6 block should be the factory 1986 -up hydraulic roller cam compatible block, nothing special there really. D4 heads with 49 cc chambers confuses me ... D4 would indicate 1974, and those heads were no screaming hell, and would be around 60 cc or more. None of the factory SB Ford heads were 49, not even the early 60s stuff.

As Scott said, the fresh motor can be a good or a bad thing, bit of a crapshoot there.

cheers
      Ed N.
      Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
      07 Mustang GT with some stuff
      88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

To me it looks like a great project car for that kind of money, plus he will take less for sure, add up the big parts with out a killer body and you will have close to that.

Buy it and tinker, rather that buy junk and get burned out, and never finish it.
        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Buy it and ticker, rather that buy junk and get burned out, and never finish it.
          Kinda the sad conclusion that I have come to.

Thats awsome info guys and crazy quick too.

how much can you mill a set of SBF heads?

Comment

aftermarket heads are the way to go i think. even really worked over heads from 1974 arent going anyplace. really the other parts on the car are expensive as all get out, kooks headers arent cheap! its supposedly got the works otherwise, it seems. if a guy had the money, and it seemed screwed together right, i dont see it as a bad deal at all. kooks, welds, that kind of thing, those parts add up..its got the parts catalog thrown at it for sure, and i dont doubt hes spent what hes claiming on it.

Comment

I used 72 heads in the day before you could go out and buy them like now, 1.94's in the intakes split the chevy guides and rewelded them, tried the big exhaust valve but the smaller Ford valve worked better. Lots better heads to pick from now. Its could be the first of many things to make it your HOT ROD

Comment

didja buy it yet? ;D

Comment

IMHO excellent buy at $7500 or so.

He'd have to cut the crap out of a Ford head to get to 49cc. Kinda old school there.

Comment

didja buy it yet?
                    I'm calling him tomarow. Just got back from my CC welding class. Made a sweet cutting/welding table.

Must wake up for work in 5 hours.

Must sleep.

Must find a place for that welding table.

Must...

Comment

For that price I would buy it, drive the wheels off it and when you break it, upgrade it. Sounds like a great buy. Also looks like a Michigan Historic plate on a 79. Makes me feel really old.

Comment

Not a terrible buy. I am digging the fairmont. Good Luck.
                        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

look at RHS proline heads,$7500 seems to be a good price, lot's of good stuff on it

Comment

I dont much like Fords but I would buy it! GT40 heads are cheap arn't they?

Comment

Welding tables make nice night stands

Comment

Working...
                              X