Fun at work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun at work?

Last week I got a call to put together a rescue team for a stranded aircraft about 100 miles from here.

So I loaded up a truck with a hand picked crew and a crap load of tools then headed down to the plane.

First day we got the motor down and the prop off, second day when installing the old prop on the new motor I noticed the prop had some internal damage when I stuck my finger where most people dont stick fingers (a habit I picked up after years of inspecting these things) So, we were on hold for a prop to ship.

Prop shows up, we get it installed and get the whole thing stabbed on the plane...A few hours later we had her running like a top...as a AF maintainer...this is the crap we live for...day to day grind blows, but when you get a chance to hit the road and do some real maintenance...man is it ever a good time.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea Sparrow 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	858376

THIS is my idea of work-related fun!
    Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

yep ...that is a job

Comment

Joe, that's cool stuff. Like the A-Team!

Anything to bust up the grind is good!
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

sounds like an awesome job.

I went crew chief...then found the old school grease monkey was changing to clintons ballarinas.

1 homophobic gun slinging, face breaking, cop intervening episode.. and I was done with my military tour.

to this day, if I met the guy, the final straw... It would not be a happy result.

glad you have a mans job.

anyway..engine man, or welding was my other top choices...
          that daily repeating grind is much safer anyway...full career more likely.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

We do our best to provide top notch entertainment for the troops here in scenic Sierra Vista. aka BFE

Good to know you got some job satisfaction out of your trip, also I'm impressed that you managed to hang that thing on that plane with the weather we were having over the weekend. That wind Friday night was something else
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              I'm impressed that you managed to hang that thing on that plane with the weather we were having over the weekend That wind Friday night was something else
              30 knots and I cant move anything ... we had it all hooked up and waited for a break in the wind...about noon thirty it died just long enough for us to swing it up and get it secured...those gusts were crazy, upwards around 50 knots...really wore us out.
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Joe, you might know this. What's a "knot" in MPH? They use the terms interchangeably at the track sometimes but I don't think a knot=a MPH, do it?

Dan

Comment

No, a knot is a nautical/aeronautical term it is about 1.5mph so 30 knot winds are about 45mph

Comment

Good work,I'm with you with CAMS,QAE,Managers,TO's opened,etc it amazes me we ever fix a plane at home.LOL
                    Get off station and we just get to do our jobs,like we know it should be done. Oh and enjoy the road trip at 1MPH below the speed limit,or just off the 55mph limiter if we get that POS 21/2t .

Comment

I am a staunch TO user on and off station.... but we sure can do things a "little" quicker without QA around, it blows me away at the speed we can work off station as compared to on when big brother is not over your shoulder......I had a 1T diesel with a flat bed...it scooted along real well on the highway...

Comment

Having been in or worked for the AF since 1982 I've pretty much learned to just follow the TO (almost lol) all the time.What seems to happen when we go off station is somebody finaly opens the TO and gets ALL the required parts and support equipment together before we even leave,in the meen time somebody else double checks that everything is in place.Then the biggest help,enough personel are on hand,and stay in place,to get the job done. How many times have you needed help and your "helper" is off doing cams,fetching a "T.O." or watching out for QA! Like I said I'm at the point that I use the TO's more so I'm not worried when QA shows up for an over the shoulder.Other guys I work with just panic!
                        But I'm not in a hurry when I'm off station,our biggest worry is where we're eating lunch!

Comment

road trips from work are fun!!! but sometimes frustraiting not having some of the equitment we have at work.
                          have went on several trips to work on industrial screen printing equitment
                          COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Many years ago I use to do field service for a company that manufactured pallet wrapping and tube filling machinery. Most of the times if there was a bright spot in that state, I was the farthest point away from it. One customer was American can in Rancho Cucamunga, CA. I went out to install a new pallet wrapper in their new plant. The truck delivering the machine was 3 days late along with the new machine being damaged. I had to wait for the new parts to be made and shipped. Newark airport got shut down for the whole day the parts were to be flown out due to a tanker car on fire across the NJ Turnpike. All in all, I was in CA for 2 weeks with more then a week of that time getting paid to sight see and have a great time! I love it when a plan comes together.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I'm glad when ever I get out of the office, it's always a good day then.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X