What does it cost to go to WYOTECh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does it cost to go to WYOTECh

No gussing hear what does it cost. You can call them but you cant get a straight answer without a "salesperson" calling you back.

Nick

Re: What does it cost to go to WYOTECh

a couple years ago my friends kid was going to go, said it would cost $22,000 for 9 or 10 months. Had to pay up front, and the kid backs out. If I remeber the story right, they held half of his money for a year. Don't quote me on this, because this is the best I can remember of the story.
    Living the dream!

Comment

my experience with the heavily marketed "tech schools" that try to wow you with "hot rod classes" etc. are generally no better than your local community college's auto tech programs. I've given lectures at the local CC, as well as a "bigger name school" on racing engine management...

in fact, if I were to pick a tech school I thought was the most devoted to it's students, it's Rankin Tech in St. Louis MO. UNBELIEVABLE dedication to your education there. I was blown away, both by the instructors I met, and the enthusiasm by the students.

There are a lot of techs on here who should be able to tell you more.
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I have had employees who have graduated from Wyotech and OTC and I believe both were in the $20-25k range. The worst part is that all of them considered it a complete waste of money. Wyotech has better facilities, equipment, and classroom education than OTC. But a better education at much less of an expense can be had through different avenues if the student is pretty decisive in the career path they are going for.

Comment

cheaper to go to the ivy league , then you will learn something , like auto mechanics get paid like slaves

Comment

arm + leg. & you have to pay BEFORE they screw you. no good.

Comment

My friend was an instructor at UTI in So. Cal about 5 years ago. Then it was $22,500, makes the $4,500 I paid in 1982 sound like a bargain!
              Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                cheaper to go to the ivy league , then you will learn something , like auto mechanics get paid like slaves
                I would pay a lot of attention to SpiderGearsMan here because he has been an automotive tech for a long time, and he knows his stuff.

Here's something I'll add: do you want to be an automotive tech because you like working on your own car? Some of the best advice I was ever given, was a guy who told me: "if you want to do something as a hobby, then DON'T do it for a living. Because that's the last thing you'll want to do once you get home from work."

-scott
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I started as a mechanic, and while it was fun sometimes, it was taking the fun out of my fun. I got lucky and landed a job in the Gov doing emissions work, so it was automotive but not primarily wrenching. It was, all in all, a great career, but with the typical issues with nasty bosses, etc. But you're gonna have that in any job. My revenge is that I outlasted 'em! The moral of this story is that sometimes it's better to find something automotive but not wrenching, so you can have fun at home.

Later
                  Dan

Comment

I agree with Dieselgeek, be sure this is what you want to do all day long and still want to work on your hobby in your free time. I attended MoTech ( I think they went under) in S.E. Michigan in the early 90's, and it was almost $10,000 then for 9 months. Gave it up for prototyping.

Comment

if i had it to do over, i wouldnt turn wrenches at all. the pay swings from fair to unreasonably poor, and ive got a wicked case of carpal tunnel thats half wrecked my hands.. get out while you still can..

Comment

WyoTech was and still is a waste of money for me. Graduated 3 years ago and I'm still paying for it because their financial aide department screwed the pooch and undercharged me. Luckily I took the Associates in Service Management class, this is saving my butt today, more on that later. They're with-holding my diploma still because I havn't finished paying the $5,000 I owed when I graduated. Let me say they're at the bottom of my who to pay list. I turned wrenches at about 6 places in 2 years for terrible pay. Made most of my moves on my own accord, but was fired from a job after I messed up a simple job because my boss stretched me too thin beyond my abilities. He had me running the front desk, phone, most of the paper-work and some of the books AND I had to work in the shop because one of the techs left. Anyway it came down to paying rent and turning my tools back in to Snap-On or being homeless and having tools. So Snap-On (got my tools or credit while at WyoTech) is still trying to collect $1,000 from me for tools I don't have or never had, and I'm happily still paying rent.

Now about getting that associates. I currently work for Boeing building the way behind schedule 787 Dreamliner. I'm a Team Lead and in consideration for 1st level management mainly due to the fact that I have a degree...in anything let alone something with the word management in it. Whatever you decide to spend your education $$$ on, make sure you walk away with a degree in ANYTHING.
                        1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
                        1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS
                          WyoTech was and still is a waste of money for me. Graduated 3 years ago and I'm still paying for it because their financial aide department screwed the pooch and undercharged me. Luckily I took the Associates in Service Management class, this is saving my butt today, more on that later. They're with-holding my diploma still because I havn't finished paying the $5,000 I owed when I graduated. Let me say they're at the bottom of my who to pay list. I turned wrenches at about 6 places in 2 years for terrible pay. Made most of my moves on my own accord, but was fired from a job after I messed up a simple job because my boss stretched me too thin beyond my abilities. He had me running the front desk, phone, most of the paper-work and some of the books AND I had to work in the shop because one of the techs left. Anyway it came down to paying rent and turning my tools back in to Snap-On or being homeless and having tools. So Snap-On (got my tools or credit while at WyoTech) is still trying to collect $1,000 from me for tools I don't have or never had, and I'm happily still paying rent.

Now about getting that associates. I currently work for Boeing building the way behind schedule 787 Dreamliner. I'm a Team Lead and in consideration for 1st level management mainly due to the fact that I have a degree...in anything let alone something with the word management in it. Whatever you decide to spend your education $$$ on, make sure you walk away with a degree in ANYTHING.
                          You may not want to hear it but this is a common story, The auto industry if going down low paay high tool bills and broke back, and fingers, think real hard before you do this, its a lifetime your talking about. I tell my kids get a job that you can pay someone to work on your car, dont be the guy doing it.
                          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I have no answer for this question.

I quit HS to wrench at the family shop, which I had been doing after school for awhile.
                            All my training was under Warren White, who at the time owned a well known shop here,
                            on the north end of town.

All subsequent training was by small classes paid by facilities I worked at,
                            GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, among others.

I can tell you that many Comm. Colleges are capable of excellent training, but doing some digging first is a really good idea.

Make sure what you want to do in this field before wasting your time and money.

FWIW, I have 27 years in automotive repair.

Comment

I suggest looking at carpentry or plumbing, which both pay really well and leaving the wrenching for your hobby (take classes at Community College to improve your knowledge and skills).

This should enable you to have enough money to pay all your bills and still have some left over to buy some cars and parts.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

Working...
                              X