Road trip route vote!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
    Yup that's the plan. EFI and Turbo. I just about have all the bottom end pieces. Now I need to get a cam ground because depending how the base circle will determine what valve's I'll need (height). Then I also have to start mocking up stuff to potentially weld up my own intake/exhaust header, or not. Then slide it into the Firebird.
    I can honestly say that's probably the first time I'm hearing of someone putting a smaller 6 in place of a 'big' V8 (that's not blown up and was just driven across the country on top of it).

Comment

• Originally posted by moparmaniac07 View Post
      I can honestly say that's probably the first time I'm hearing of someone putting a smaller 6 in place of a 'big' V8 (that's not blown up and was just driven across the country on top of it).
      Something just isn't right
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• It's perverse, Randal!
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Randal, how did the beast run when you got up into the upper elevations? Judging by smell, the carb (at my elevation) was tuned damn good. It was probably just a hair rich at sea level...
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

• probably ran great, until he shut it off and it cooled down!

Interesting thing about tuning for elevation...I've never screwed with the jetting on my 55 to deal with elevation changes, it's been thru Vail CO in the snow, and at the beach in San Diego, and lots of other places (including Ely). It doesn't always run perfect, but it's never complained enough for me to want to mess with it. I guess I'm just not picky enough.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              probably ran great, until he shut it off and it cooled down!

Interesting thing about tuning for elevation...I've never screwed with the jetting on my 55 to deal with elevation changes, it's been thru Vail CO in the snow, and at the beach in San Diego, and lots of other places (including Ely). It doesn't always run perfect, but it's never complained enough for me to want to mess with it. I guess I'm just not picky enough.
              This is exactly why I'll guess that it warm idles somewhere super rich like in the 10s or 11s at your elevation.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

• You've played with blown cars some, right? you're familiar with the rolling (surging) idle? From what I've seen, it does that when it's a bit rich, when you lean it out, the idle stabilizes, but it also is more likely to cough when you open the throttle.

Do you know about what AFR the transition from smooth, to rolling, happens? on a relatively mild cammed engine

I keep mine just to the rolling side of that transition.
                Last edited by squirrel; December 12, 2011, 02:16 PM.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

• And I go for years without looking at the spark plugs.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    You've played with blown cars some, right? you're familiar with the rolling (surging) idle? From what I've seen, it does that when it's a bit rich, when you lean it out, the idle stabilizes, but it also is more likely to cough when you open the throttle.

Do you know about what AFR the transition from smooth, to rolling, happens? on a relatively mild cammed engine

I keep mine just to the rolling side of that transition.
                    THe rolling idle is most pronounced on MFI engines. On EFI blown engines, the rolling is usually a VE table issue where it's too rich in one area, then too lean in the other, and the engine bounces between those two places on the VE (fuel) map. My fix has always been to make sure it's getting just the fuel it needs for smooth idling.

NEARLY EVERY SINGLE ONE of the blower guys has given me shit for smoothing out the rolling idle too. lol. A few have even asked me to "keep it in there"

Since I am not there with an AFR meter, my best guess is that the rolling idle happens when there's a rich-lean-rich-lean transition as RPMs change -that's really about all that can cause that behavior... so it's hard to tell what the AFRs look like. So much depends on what the engine wants, how much timing you can run at idle, etc.

Comment

• I'm sure it's running rich. I actually datalogged the Autolite 4300 on the Thunderbird. It runs a solid 12.5 AFR around here and cleans up to the 14:1's at lower elevation. I know if I set it to run 14:1 here it will probably lean out and stall by the time I hit Vegas. The running condition doesn't change much since engines are usually okay running fat. The Centurion has a mean bog when hitting the gas quickly that it doesn't have at lower elevation. I moved the pump shot to the other hole, but the Q-jet needs more of the secondary butterfly rate adjusted for it to work proper up here. I'm sure it neads to be leaned out as well. The Autolite 4300 on the T-bird I never got to transition right when hitting the throttle hard. I very much dislike the Autolite 4300 carb, wish I had a 4100 instead. The TBI starts up real easily, cold and warm, sitting for a long time, etc, even with out a choke or high idle valve, must be the high vacuum docile cam. Due to wheel alignment issues I haven't really done much highway tuning with it, but it runs pretty decently around town.

Comment

• I really like the locked timing at idle feature of the MegaSquirt 2 extra code. As soon as it gets to idle it locks in at 23* (I set) regardless of the table and it stablized the idle even quicker. It's nice that when I hit the throttle to start loading the engine up I can drop the timing to 15-18* depending how low it lugs off the line.

Comment

• Just saw your new car, looks great! I thought you were getting more of a project car looking foward to seeing the turbo 6!
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                          X