No announcement yet.

Road trip route vote!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, the day is quickly approaching. I'm heading out tomorrow for Las Vegas to catch a flight Saturday morning. I'm going with game plan A by Omaha, NE and through Salt lake City.

The game plan is to pick the car up (providing all is good with it and it's what I anticipated), hit a parts store and/or walmart for supplies. Try out the heater core, deem it bad, unhook it, make sure the fluids and electrical are good enough for night driving, and drive north as far as I feel comfortable with. With the time change, I'm hoping to put 200-300 miles down on Saturday. Day two I plan on driving 10-12 hours to Dieselgeek's house and crash on his couch. Day three I'm in for the long haul and hope to pull a 14 hour day on I-80 and make it to Salt Lake, then get home early Tuesday to unwind for work on Wednesday. What could possibly go wrong?

For the record, I drove 15 hours the summer of 2010 from Rapid City, SD to Ely, NV.

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
      Also if anyone wants to ride shotgun with me I can drop you off at an airport in a major city to get home. You would be responsible for your own airfare though
      . I won't not be ready in time, but I have to take my truck to Mineral Springs, Arkansas, then rent a u-haul to bring my 50' chev home to Seattle area. Too bad its so soon. Couldn't ride shotgun, but could bring extra gear, (tires, hoses, clamps, water pump, fuel pump etc and play wagon train in case you break down in the middle of nowhere. I am going the southern route, although S.Lake makes the most sense. I do want to go to Roswell and look at a Tempest custom S that is for sale (or supposed to be).
      Why dance when you can rock and roll?

Comment

Trust me this time of year you don't want to take a northern route, especially though Colorado...........

Comment

You driving it back without a heater? Pretty ballsy this time of year. I got a little heater thing with the Monte that plugs into the lighter. Maybe you can find something similar at a Walmart.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

find a full sized spare.. if the p/o hasn't added one.. I'd also have a spare set of points and condencer, oh and those 80's style rims, check that the lug wrench will work.. mine with the deep well holes only a thin wall deep socket fits . a x bar doesn't nor does the factory j bar

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
              You driving it back without a heater? Pretty ballsy this time of year. I got a little heater thing with the Monte that plugs into the lighter. Maybe you can find something similar at a Walmart.
              target has them, I'm rig'n one up with a timer, no frosted windows for me

Comment

I have a 2 bay shop, about 45 minutes from Scott's, hoist/air compressor, tire machine and a warm place to work if ya need it. just pm if you need my cell or shop number.

Charles
                Charles

Comment

I got to this party late - and I'm glad you're not taking one of the northerly routes- though I'd sure love to see you and this new bird - it's just not a good idea in December. ESPECIALLY with out a heater!

I hope the wally world / harbor freight tool kit will be sufficient to get you home, I agree 100% with some kind of aux heater and a full size spare.

Godspeed my friend!
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Even if we (Omaha area) do get the predicted 3-5" snowfall Saturday the roads will be clear by Sunday when you get here.
                    I hope your heater does work though - it was 14 degrees driving to work this morning. Drive safe.
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                      Trust me this time of year you don't want to take a northern route, especially though Colorado...........
                      Check the weather for I-40 versus I-80 for the next four days. Freezing temps, rains and snow all along I-40, and actually warmer temps and clearer skies for I-80. It's a no brainer, the northern route is the better route based on weather. Oh yeah, I'm not going through Colorado either.

I'll improvise just fine if the heater core is no bueno. I'm packing some of my motorcycle cold weather gear too (I'll ride down to 15*F).

1badmonkey, thanks for the offer! I'll know better Sunday if I'll need assistance

As for the spare, the guy says it comes with a full size spare mounted on one of the original Pontiac Rallye rims, then I just have to pack the other rims in the car.

I agree about not letting the tank get to low. When I flew 850 miles to Pueblo, CO to buy my Thunderbird, it drove good and all that, and ten miles outside of Pueblo it stalled on me with rust plugging the fuel filter up. And that was on a full tank! The heater didn't work well in that one either (or more specifically the fresh air vent at the kick panel was stuck wide open) and it was late October and definitely cold.

Not my first rodeo, but definitely going bigger!

Comment

If you need any help on Saturday, shop, directions, hit me up. There is a open house/swap meet at a local speed shop in in the area if you have time.
                        Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Comment

You're nuts, Randal! have fun

Make sure there are lug nuts that fit the spare wheel, if the others use shank nuts it could be a problem. If they're conical, then you're ok.
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I was going to ask you to go by my old house in Papillion to get a pic of it. I'm curious to see what it looks like these days. But, Scotts place is clear on the other side of town.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                              You're nuts, Randal! have fun

Make sure there are lug nuts that fit the spare wheel, if the others use shank nuts it could be a problem. If they're conical, then you're ok.

Good call!

Also, I have my AAA card on stand by

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                                Good call!

Also, I have my AAA card on stand by
                                AAA isn't going to do you any good if your stranded in the middle of nowhere and they can't get to you for a couple of hours........

You seriously might want to think about buying one of those heaters that plug into the cigarette lighter, at least that way you won't freeze to death..........

I've driven to South Dakota a few time during the winter months, one year I had to drive from midnight to 6 in the morning during a blizzard with half the windshield covered in ice.....God I told those idiots that drove before me to NOT heat the windshield!!!!!!..........another time as we came into Colorado Springs a huge snow storm came rolling down from the north, we got lucky and were able to run east and stay out of it's path, but it snowed all the way down and into New Mexico........

Anyway man, have a safe trip and if things get crazy just pull over at a motel and wait it out........

Comment

Working...
                                X