Road trip route vote!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road trip route vote!

Okay, possible road trip starting December 3rd or 4th from northern Alabama back to Ely. I'm flying there December 3rd to look at a '69 Firebird, and if I purchase it I will be driving it back to Ely.

So a couple of factors come into play, weather being the biggest unknown, then time and possible meeting up with other BangShifters (and possible couch crashing ).

So vote! and say why you voted and say if you are along the route and need a couch crasher

A )The direct route. This get's me home, but I have concerns about weather and a 11,000ft summit in a car with a sea level tune. I know my Centurion hated it. But there is a slightly northerly alternative, which is different than the DW route I took in September.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Direct.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	878110

B ) Detroit - Omaha - Salt Lake. 600 miles more. I meet up with a few Bangshifter's along the way. Also I go north of Denver and hope there isn't a uber high summit.

Name:	Detroit.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	878111

C ) The Safe route. Southerly, and through Las Vegas, only add's about hour from the most direct route. This will most likely be my default route if weather is bad, but I have driven this route in my Centurion back in 2003.

Name:	Las Vegas.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	878114

D ) The UFO and Tourist route. Who wouldn't want to see Roswell and Area 51 in one trip? I could possibly hit up Carlsbad Caverns as well.

Name:	UFO.jpg
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	878112

E ) The ridiculous route of going from Alabama to Nevada through Canada Like route B, I can meet up with some Bangshifters along the way and stop by the Canadian's I know from our mines in Sudbury. This route is 400 miles shorter than what I drove on Drag Week

Name:	Sudbury.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	878113
    A
    10.71%
    B
    7.14%
    C
    28.57%
    D
    28.57%
    E
    25.00%
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; November 12, 2011, 11:15 AM.
    Escaped on a technicality.

I voted E. very unlikely i would make it over to Detroit to meet up, but put that old bird to the test!
    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

F. Alabama to Wilmington, NC then drive almost the full length of I-40. We'll put you up here. But maybe not the best in an untried car.

OK - then C.

Dan

Comment

I-70. Beer in Topeka is on Ron Wards tab,Denver is on Bamfstr.

Comment

You can hit my house if you take 70 most of the way then turn down and go DOWN the Raton pass to take your "safe" route through NM. I promise more than a couch though, I have a full spare bedroom down in the basement were you'd be more than welcome.
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I said C, because Vegas is a lot of fun, and I would like to go back there. Where in N. Alabama? I live just north of Atlanta.
            OH YEAH
            Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

I vote D .... 1 word....ALIENS! You wouldn't want to miss your chance to get abducted would you?

I 70 from Denver west in the winter can be dicey. It may be in the 50s n sunny but once you go thru the tunnel it turns ugly. On the other hand, if its sunny in the mountains .... it'll be smooth sailing.

I'm w/Stokes, don't know how far I'd want to go in an unproven car.
              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

As for unproven, if a car can make it 50 miles, it should be able to make 2,000+. It's a simple carb and points to make vroom noises. Already has an external electric fuel pump that I can pick up at any parts store. If the trans shifts fine, and the oil pressure is good and no funny buisness found (like wood chips under the oil file cap or dip stick, etc) I shouldn't have any issues making it home. Anyone see that junk pile Buick Freiburger drove home from Arizona?

Comment

Also if anyone wants to ride shotgun with me I can drop you off at an airport in a major city to get home. You would be responsible for your own airfare though

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                    As for unproven, if a car can make it 50 miles, it should be able to make 2,000+. It's a simple carb and points to make vroom noises. Already has an external electric fuel pump that I can pick up at any parts store. If the trans shifts fine, and the oil pressure is good and no funny buisness found (like wood chips under the oil file cap or dip stick, etc) I shouldn't have any issues making it home. Anyone see that junk pile Buick Freiburger drove home from Arizona?
                    I say c..
                    in dec. weather can be a big issue.. and just because the car starts and moves.. don't mean you're gonna have heat..
                    also .. bearings... long trips heat up bearings.. and if you have brakes that drag.. you can weld a rotor to spindle.. not likely but can happen..
                    what route has more assess to rig and trailor's? either b/s members or u haul...
                    Last edited by Stich496; November 12, 2011, 04:05 PM.

Comment

The Buick is EXACTLY my point. Yeah he got it home but not without a ton o' drama. I don't LIKE drama and work to avoid it if possible. I think DW lives for the stuff.

Dan

Comment

I vote D- this time of year, you dont want to head far north. but no reason not to check out the sites!
                        Local person
                        sigpic

Comment

C or D. The weather will be a bugger, per Murphy.
                          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Any route that brings you through St. Louis
                            area.
                            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Ooh, Madison to St. Louis is a perfect day's drive, a hair over 400 miles, then same to Omaha...

Comment

Working...
                              X