Found this in a garage. Has seen daylight since 1969

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found this in a garage. Has seen daylight since 1969

Found this 2 houses down from brothers place.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hpa-bodies; November 13, 2011, 02:00 PM.

Awesome. I've always wanted one of these since my friend in college had a 73 superbeetle. They're the perfect classic to live with every day and there's a ton of aftermarket support for them.
    Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

What year is it? better hide this thread from fast Ed

Comment

65/66?

Either way, I'm freakin' jealous. Awesome score, buddy.

Comment

Its a 61. Lady bought it brand new.

Comment

Nice score. I'd love to get a bug again. I had a 70 with a mild 1640. Had fun beating up on other cars. Forget my history but guessing very early 60's since it has the Wolfsburg crest on the hood.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by hpa-bodies View Post
              Its a 61. Lady bought it brand new.
              Dude, this thread needs to be on TheSamba.com , join the forums if you haven't already.
              The guys over their would be eatin up this one old lady owned, in garage since 69, 61 bug..

Comment

After cutting my hands up on the engine sheet metal I'm not a fan. Anyone who was a mechanic back then got sucked into working on these little farts and I've paid my dues - Hell has no fear for me. Second wife came with one and I've done all the typical crap - redoing the clutch cable tube (replace with brake line, tack weld or attach thru slots with hose clamps), clutch (pull the engine), heater boxes, mufflers, #3 exhaust valve (twice), adjust the valves every 3K miles, etc, etc. And the heater didn't.

One of the most annoying things was the little straight-headed screws that held all the engine sheet metal together. In Michigan they would, of course, rust into a solid chunk with the weld nuts that they threaded in to. The impact screwdriver offered the best chance of backing them out but often either A) the slots would twist into uselessness or B) their little heads would twist right off. If the slot failed you had a chance of cutting a new slot at 90 degrees with the die grinder and a thin disc but that was iffy at best. If they broke off I usually drilled thru the nut when the tin was off the car and simply used sheet metal screws. Hateful either way.

So I remember these little cars well. Still, it looks pretty good and should be saved. Just not by me.

Dan

Comment

I will have to check that out. Tried to start itwhen we got it home and have no spark. Going to get points condenser and plugs tomorrow.
                  Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                  Dude, this thread needs to be on TheSamba.com , join the forums if you haven't already.
                  The guys over their would be eatin up this one old lady owned, in garage since 69, 61 bug..

Comment

Believe me dan its not my first choice for a car. Mom had one when her and dad got married and he always wanted to get her one so this unit fell in our laps for a great price.
                    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    After cutting my hands up on the engine sheet metal I'm not a fan. Anyone who was a mechanic back then got sucked into working on these little farts and I've paid my dues - Hell has no fear for me. Second wife came with one and I've done all the typical crap - redoing the clutch cable tube (replace with brake line, tack weld or attach thru slots with hose clamps), clutch (pull the engine), heater boxes, mufflers, #3 exhaust valve (twice), adjust the valves every 3K miles, etc, etc. And the heater didn't.

One of the most annoying things was the little straight-headed screws that held all the engine sheet metal together. In Michigan they would, of course, rust into a solid chunk with the weld nuts that they threaded in to. The impact screwdriver offered the best chance of backing them out but often either A) the slots would twist into uselessness or B) their little heads would twist right off. If the slot failed you had a chance of cutting a new slot at 90 degrees with the die grinder and a thin disc but that was iffy at best. If they broke off I usually drilled thru the nut when the tin was off the car and simply used sheet metal screws. Hateful either way.

So I remember these little cars well. Still, it looks pretty good and should be saved. Just not by me.

Dan

Comment

put it in the museum

Comment

what kinda pontiac is that?...
                        58 Plymouth Sport Suburban. 526 cubic inches of angry wedge! Pushbutton shifted 9 passenger killer!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
                          what kinda pontiac is that?...
                          haha , sign must come down

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
                            haha , sign must come down
                            And get mailed to Thumper in Da UP!

And the golden rule of VW's - pick a non-metallic color and spray it apart. If not, it'll for sure peel from where the fenders meet the body and look like crap in no time. These actually look right in catalyzed enamel and look ALL WRONG in base/clear. They just weren't made all smooth - like an older MOPAR, they need to be a little pebbley. I say non-metallic as it's a LOT easier to get the whole thing the same color. The fender lacing and lots of other bits are readily available.

Dan

Comment

yup fiend had a metalic purple super beetle and it did just that.
                              Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                              Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Working...
                              X