Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice find on the beetle.

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    After cutting my hands up on the engine sheet metal I'm not a fan. Anyone who was a mechanic back then got sucked into working on these little farts and I've paid my dues - Hell has no fear for me. Second wife came with one and I've done all the typical crap - redoing the clutch cable tube (replace with brake line, tack weld or attach thru slots with hose clamps), clutch (pull the engine), heater boxes, mufflers, #3 exhaust valve (twice), adjust the valves every 3K miles, etc, etc. And the heater didn't.

One of the most annoying things was the little straight-headed screws that held all the engine sheet metal together. In Michigan they would, of course, rust into a solid chunk with the weld nuts that they threaded in to. The impact screwdriver offered the best chance of backing them out but often either A) the slots would twist into uselessness or B) their little heads would twist right off. If the slot failed you had a chance of cutting a new slot at 90 degrees with the die grinder and a thin disc but that was iffy at best. If they broke off I usually drilled thru the nut when the tin was off the car and simply used sheet metal screws. Hateful either way.

So I remember these little cars well. Still, it looks pretty good and should be saved. Just not by me.

Dan
    good info. I'll remember this some day.

ironically, #3 on boxers faincg forward have problems too. They even attempted a hole through the head and called it EGR, a pipe coming out of the top.

as it turns out, there is a need for a camshaft. That fixes the whole silly thing...and it does not sound like a boxer when it is fixed. (don't laugh, my own jacked up boxer four sounds like the worlds smallest flat six)
    an oem boxer is not fun at all for some reason..

I would do a beetle if I could. They be too classic here...I would fit right in knowing the mechanically extra first hand...they all have oem anomolies.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 13, 2011, 04:38 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Dad is a die hard pontiac guy. Taking that sign down would be like trying to take his american flag. He bought it for mom Because hers rotted in half after they got married and thats what she grew up with being my grandparents came over from germany in the late 1930s.
      Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
      haha , sign must come down

Comment

Sweet car, never mind what Dan says, give it the love it deserves!! LOL

cheers
        Ed N.
        Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
        07 Mustang GT with some stuff
        88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Now I allowed as to how it SHOULD be saved and even gave a few tips. I'm just saying they're a PITA to work on - and they are!

Dan

Comment

I hear you Dan ... we struggled with those grub screws on the engine tin on my 67. Managed to get almost all of them out, only busted off one in the left cylinder head.
            Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
            07 Mustang GT with some stuff
            88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

how are the pans and battery tray ?
              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Not a spec of rust on either. Only rust is a small hole on the fender by the rear bumper bracket.
                Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
                how are the pans and battery tray ?

Comment

Originally posted by hpa-bodies View Post
                  Dad is a die hard pontiac guy. Taking that sign down would be like trying to take his american flag. He bought it for mom Because hers rotted in half after they got married and thats what she grew up with being my grandparents came over from germany in the late 1930s.
                  just teez'n

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    After cutting my hands up on the engine sheet metal I'm not a fan. Anyone who was a mechanic back then got sucked into working on these little farts and I've paid my dues - Hell has no fear for me. Second wife came with one and I've done all the typical crap - redoing the clutch cable tube (replace with brake line, tack weld or attach thru slots with hose clamps), clutch (pull the engine), heater boxes, mufflers, #3 exhaust valve (twice), adjust the valves every 3K miles, etc, etc. And the heater didn't.

One of the most annoying things was the little straight-headed screws that held all the engine sheet metal together. In Michigan they would, of course, rust into a solid chunk with the weld nuts that they threaded in to. The impact screwdriver offered the best chance of backing them out but often either A) the slots would twist into uselessness or B) their little heads would twist right off. If the slot failed you had a chance of cutting a new slot at 90 degrees with the die grinder and a thin disc but that was iffy at best. If they broke off I usually drilled thru the nut when the tin was off the car and simply used sheet metal screws. Hateful either way.

So I remember these little cars well. Still, it looks pretty good and should be saved. Just not by me.

Dan
                    I'm with Dan here... My 1st wife had a 70 convertible, I hope neither one ever darkens my door again....

Comment

Fired it up today. Runs great but the gas tank leaks. Master cylinder is whipped too. I will post some more picks and a vid of it running this weekend.

Comment

The nice thing about these is that there are plenty of repop parts for them. At one time JC Whitney had a whole sub catalog with stuff like gas tanks, etc. They were cheap, too. Not sure if they still do that.

Almost forgot - there's still a VW shop here in town that does lots of air cooled. If you need parts or info let me know and I'll touch base with him - but not for a few days!

Dan
                        Last edited by DanStokes; November 16, 2011, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Almost 60 here today so we got it out of the garage for mom to take her maiden voyage.

Comment

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

very cool seein it putts around the yard like that
                              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
                                very cool seein it putts around the yard like that
                                I still smile at every one of them.

does your mom want to take it to something like this?
                                in the vid it states worlds fastest, of course, most of america is laughing..they go faster.
                                Previously boxer3main
                                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                                X