Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how does one tell a buick v6 stage II block/heads from a standard one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how does one tell a buick v6 stage II block/heads from a standard one?

see title thanks

Never heard of them before - doesn't mean they don't exist - but I do know who to call - TA performance, or Kenny Duttweiler.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

compared to the attempt at rally type numbers (stage 2 can be done in the backyard)

the buick stage 2 is something someone else made up. the power is more than quadruple the oem "stages" (I ignore "stages" categories, even driving a subaru)

curiousity had me looking around the net.

here is a buick v6 site I found

You'll have to click to site, I can't put in a quote here.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 14, 2011, 09:54 AM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

As you can see from the link boxer posted, they are very different. That info boxer linked was in a small parts book available from Buick back in the 80's

Comment

The simple way to tell from the outside is 6 head bolts/studs & 3 seperate intake ports. The stock engine has a pair of intake ports on one side with a single port off by itself.
          There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

All Stage II blocks and heads had 6 bolts per cylinder, that's a row of 8 down the middle and then 6 more (3 top, 3 bottom in the middle of the cylinders). All production based blocks 62-07 have 4 per cylinder which is just the row of 8 down the middle. Like Dynoroom pointed out, the ports are evenly spaced vs paired though the Series II/III 3800's switched to the same layout in ~92.

Stage II blocks varied over the years with different main cap configurations, cross bolting, off center like the production up till the Series II/II, on center (rods are centered on the journals) like the 3800's... in fact a lot of the 3800's improvements came out of the Stage II program.

Why do you ask?
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

why,, details if I get in my dirty hands

Comment

there were busch cars and indy cars ..buddy ingersoll used the indy car stuff , but that was 25 years ago

Comment

think busch

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                    All Stage II blocks and heads had 6 bolts per cylinder, that's a row of 8 down the middle and then 6 more (3 top, 3 bottom in the middle of the cylinders). All production based blocks 62-07 have 4 per cylinder which is just the row of 8 down the middle. Like Dynoroom pointed out, the ports are evenly spaced vs paired though the Series II/III 3800's switched to the same layout in ~92.

Stage II blocks varied over the years with different main cap configurations, cross bolting, off center like the production up till the Series II/II, on center (rods are centered on the journals) like the 3800's... in fact a lot of the 3800's improvements came out of the Stage II program.

Why do you ask?
                    I was just thinking "wow..six bolts per cylinder"

Until remembering the little 1781cc boxer I smack around has 9 for two cylinders..18 in all.
                    extra head bolts can be more than for claiming big compression, the bolts themselves could be riding a non-simaese bore (like most boxers).Of course this being said, makes the last 20 years of subarus a pansy (they somehow lost a whole lot of bolts in enginerring the EJ).
                    back to subject...

does the stage 2 have space between bores?
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 15, 2011, 04:11 PM.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                      I was just thinking "wow..six bolts per cylinder"

Until remembering the little 1781cc boxer I smack around has 9 for two cylinders..18 in all.
                      extra head bolts can be more than for claiming big compression, the bolts themselves could be riding a non-simaese bore (like most boxers).Of course this being said, makes the last 20 years of subarus a pansy (they somehow lost a whole lot of bolts in enginerring the EJ).
                      back to subject...

does the stage 2 have space between bores?
                      If I interpret what you actually asked on subject as being siamesed bores... depends on if it's a 4.1L block or a 3.8L block. The 4.1's had siamesed bores (production ones too) while the 3.8's had 360 water jackets.

Best sources for something that could be made streetable more easily are the ARCA motors since they were compression limited and ran on gasoline instead of methanol/ethanol like the Indy Lites motors. There is also a Stage I block that is the same casting as the Stage II but not machined for the extra head bolts or the 4 bolt mains in most cases. They do tend to be older though since the need for them dried up long before the Stage II fell out of favor.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

they ran 6s in arca ? or ASA more like it , arca is more like ham and eggers in winston cup cars

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                          they ran 6s in arca ? or ASA more like it , arca is more like ham and eggers in winston cup cars
                          I thought it was ARCA but I wouldn't be supprised if my memory of roundy round accroynms is off. Still the Busch and Indy motors are tough to get going on the street without a lot of swapping to pump gas compatable parts. I've always heard the ASA/ARCA motors needed a cam and a streetable carb and exhaust to be pretty close to streetable on pump premium.
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                          X