"Survivor"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Survivor"

There doesn't seem to be any restoration purist types around here but...

What do you guys think about the whole trademarking of the term "survivor" and the creation of official "survivor" judges and shows where you can become "survivor" certified?

Seems a little highbrow to me. I feel like my car is a (forgive my blatant disregard for trademarks) survivor but doubt it would pass muster from these guys. Not that I have that desire. But am I supposed to feel like a loser because I can't use that word anymore?

Side rant: I guess this is spawning a whole new lexicon of terms like "unrestored semi-original." I guess that is what I have. Sweet.
    1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Re: "Survivor"

Stupid Crapp if I have ever heard anything. Everyone is so Survivor worn out by now who really f'n cares.

Comment

I love survivors , big class at bloomington gold corvette show , too bad everything here rots out

Comment

I love them too. Just not sure about the whole certification thing. Maybe it's nothing.
        1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

there was a guy around here had an ss396 chevelle - original down to the belts hoses , tires - not in show condition , just original

Comment

I think alot of the survivor hype is Barrett Jackson related.

Comment

I think that it is simply a way to jack up the value of a car. To me, i couldnt care less if its a "survivor" or not.

Comment

The term "survivor" is another one that has used/misused so much that its original meaning (and importance) has long gone by the wayside. To me a survivor is a car/truck that is all original within reason. Tires, battery may have been replaced, but paint, engine, tranny, interior, etc. are all original and not rebuilt or refreshed. Now my '65 Studebaker is a survivor according to that definition. With 153+k on the clock it won't be for long as the engine and tranny are in need of rebuilds. Also the paint is dead and there is some rust on the floor boards. All of these will also be fixed up. When all that happens the car, in my way of thinking, is no longer a survivor. Why? Well, lets just say it had to be revived somewhat.

Comment

I believe they're all survivors. If a car can make it more than 30 years on today's roads, it deserves to be called a survivor, no matter what has been done to it. A car is a body, frame and drivetrain. So what if the drivetrain isn't original. Most engines were the same for many years and you couldn't tell if it was original unless you ran the numbers on it. As long as it motivates on it's own power, it is a survivor.

Comment

1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
                    1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

IMO if it hasn't seen a frame off/rotissorie then it's a survivor. Original paint and interior too.

Comment

It's a car. It's meant to be driven. I appreciate pure time capsules, don't get me wrong, but unless yours is 100% perfect, off the damn soapbox with you. Go enjoy it. :
                        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I don't care what you call it, as long as the OWNER enjoys it and actually gets out and drives it! I think Barrett Jackson has done more to hurt our hobby than help it, sure the collectors are loviong it, but dam......some of those prices.............................
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Anything I had left after the first wife, makes it a Survior.

Comment

I don't mind the term. I like to read about cars that somehow made it through the years without being restored. The story behind the car is what I like. I don't like seeing cars with the Survivor nameplate attached and come to find out they detailed the engine compartment, or it's been painted once. That just doesn't mean anything to me except they need to finish restoring it.

Comment

Working...
                              X