No announcement yet.

turbo history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a in house copy of turbocharger development from Garrett/AiResearch Industrial. Too long to post all the information so I'll hit the highlights.

The first exhaust-driven supercharger was developed by Dr. Alfred Buchi between 1909 & 1912. Buchi was chief engineer at Sulzer Bros. and in 1915 proposed the idea for a diesel engine that fell on deaf ears.

Dr. Stanford Moss of General Elecrtic began developing turbochargers in late 1910. In 1920 a LePere bi-plane was equiped with a Liberty engine and a GE turbo to set a new altitude record of 33,113 feet.

Turbo-superchargers became widely used in the years leading up to & including WWII. This is around the time J.C. "Cliff" Garrett started Garrett Corp. supplying intercoolers (aftercoolers) for the B-17 located between the GE turbo and the Pratt and Whitney engine.

In the early '50's Art Rosen of Caterpiller Tractor Co. began investigating the use of turbochargers on vehicular engines.

This should give you plenty of information to google. Have fun.

Yes to the pit stop question above.....
    Last edited by Dynoroom; November 17, 2011, 05:18 PM. Reason: Edit for Dan
    There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

IIRC, Alllis Chalmers came out with a tractor, the D-21 I believe in the early to mid 60s that was charged. That pretty much started the boost apps in the ag industry......

Comment

Working...
      X