Subie drivability problem, question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subie drivability problem, question?

I have a 03 Outback atomatic tranny that I bought use with 37,000 miles. It now has 106,000. Ever since I've had it, around 37-39 MPH it bucks, surges. My son had a 99 stick shift Subie that did the same. A co-worker at my last job had a 04 Outback automatic tranny that did the same. My wife had an old Forester automatic tranny that ran smooth as glass at all rpm. Is there a TSB on this or a cure? Just getting tired of it.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

WHAT do you mean by surge ? vibration , miss , hesitation , slip ?

Comment

clean the maf something or other.

I have a subaru, but carbed and overlapped cams. by the time that figures out the concept of surge it would be at 9k rpm someplace, running out of fuel. If you don't have to wait on a cold start..it is a starving constipated boxer.

I did have injected, it had a maf that caused that, same speeds...simply venturid CAI, and killed egr entirely. that fixed it...until the pump leaked. invisible phenomonas those boxers.
      Not sure if that helps.. I think some went to maps
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 17, 2011, 10:27 PM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I would try here with your question: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/

IACAV may need a little cleaning, but that would be on the newer models (03 and up I think)

I would just do a search on the Forester site and/or NASIOC.

Comment

I'll send my son an Email and see if he has any ideas. He drives a WRX and knows his way around Subies a bit. Personally, I'm clueless.

Dan

Comment

Look for any TPS adjustment procedures and make sure it's properly done.
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              I'll send my son an Email and see if he has any ideas. He drives a WRX and knows his way around Subies a bit. Personally, I'm clueless.

Dan
              the turbos could drive half assed without errors for a some time.

I am now into the 15th year local, little boxer. Always n/a..the carb proved winner.

the very physics of boxer make boost welcome..and not being as insane as a puerto rican quarter mile.

I also noticed..even after doing a home made boost, the boxer likes the push through, not a draw through.

An n/a with a rubber belt and cams doing infinite number of things with time.. well..it is indeed going to be a weirdo at times.

I stuck to SOHC and two valve and no computer for my own satisfaction..some know without argument already what I simply go for, and why

refer to nuetrinos.

joking aside..the speed you mentioned is where my clutch fails. instead of a cough..there is a leap. that is actually a win..just have to respect stronger parts. subarus are quite retarded through realms that normally make a boxer a super hero.

it seems to be half that of a gas v8..and revving higher than a diesel...the realm of real power.
              a comical thing to decipher..even 20 years after sohc two valve is gone in subarus world. the dyno graphs still show 2800 rpm as the n/a max for the torque. then it is just simply screaming boosted ricer.

if it were my newer sube doing this, I'd target any recycler, or variable valve stuff..lock the bastud in to normal older timer.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 18, 2011, 10:37 AM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

And yet another "helpful thread" from the 3 main boxer dude
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Oh heck, Scott - he's entertaining.

No response from Ben yet - it'll probably be tomorrow.

Dan

Comment

I knew Ben would have the answer. Go to <nasioc.com> biggest Subie resource on the web and someone there can for sure help.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                      And yet another "helpful thread" from the 3 main boxer dude
                      I'll just stop talking.

I warned of the EJ,even got banned for the EJ (started narrating its demise 7 years ago...after boasting to never own one)

nasioc is a run around..many victims.

find a no bullshit hillbilly as pissed at these things as I am , and you will find a real fix cheaply.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

As a former WRX owner, I ignored the junk posts and focused on the tech on NASIOC. As I said in my other post. Either site can offer insight as to what the problem may be...

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll check those things out. I was thinking it was more of a Subie quirk since a few of them seem to have the same quirk. I've been off the net for about a week. Been busy.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                          X