Salt..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt..........

Wondering if anyone has ever heard of this and if you know if it works or not......What I'm talking about is using salt to prevent plants and weeds from growing.......I just spent the last couple of days hacking out vines, bushes and trees out of one of my apartments backyards that the tenant neglected and a friend of mine told me if I salt the ground that nothing will grow or live in the dirt.........So is it true?? Because I'd really like to find a way to kill this "Cat Claw" vine that just keeps coming back and taking over...........
    Last edited by TC; November 21, 2011, 08:06 PM.

A technique that has been used for thousands of years. Conquering armies centuries ago would "salt the fields" to kill crops and prevent junk from growing. Most general herbicides are engineered salt compounds.

Go to your local John Deer Landscapes and ask them for a pesticide called Sahara. It is a soil sterilizer and will do what you want it to do. It may or may not be available in your state.
    Last edited by Brian Lohnes; November 21, 2011, 08:12 PM.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
      A technique that has been used for thousands of years. Conquering armies centuries ago would "salt the fields" to kill crops and prevent junk from growing. Most general herbicides are engineered salt compounds.

Go to your local John Deer Landscapes and ask them for a pesticide called Sahara. It is a soil sterilizer and will do what you want it to do. It may or may not be available in your state.
      Would the salt you use for water softeners work.......The bag I saw said 99.7% pure salt............I just figured I'd sprinkle it on the ground and water it in.........

Comment

I am sure it would to some level, I just have no idea of how much you would use to get results.

Start with a shitload and you should be OK.

Comment

So what is the crap they salt the roads with?

I'd think, with the sheer tonnage of salt put down during winter months up here in the northeast, that NOTHING would grow within 5 feet of the side of the road.

Doesn't seem to slow down the roadside weeds every spring though....
          Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Maybe I should stop using that salt mulch?

Dan

Comment

I have hear of home made Round-up made from Vinegar and salt. One gallon of vinegar and a cup of salt I believe.

Comment

uranium salt.. that'll get it.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

At least you won't have snow and ice in your yard this winter.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                    At least you won't have snow and ice in your yard this winter.
                    you won't either, and you won't even have to salt
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

My next door neighbor drained his pool earlier this summer - saline, not chlorine- and killed a section of the hedge in his back yard.

Comment

I think salt would be a temporary kill but the product Brian mentioned would be very long term kill.
                        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Sahara is pretty bad ass stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                            My next door neighbor drained his pool earlier this summer - saline, not chlorine- and killed a section of the hedge in his back yard.
                            When I lived in Florida I used gas chlorine to kill ant hills, it never harmed the grass.
                            I've threatened for a long time to kill off our yard and replace it with astro turf. I guess I know how now!
                            Originally posted by TC
                            also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                              Sahara is pretty bad ass stuff.
                              It is indeed! Not sure about AZ but Sahara is a restricted use pesticide here in the communistwealth of MA, so you would need a supervisory license to purchase it (pesticide license)

Comment

Working...
                              X