Mustang Flip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mustang Flip

I am going to go look at a 2000 Mustang GT tonight with a bad motor. The plan is to buy it, fix it, sell it! I have heard "any PI 2-value will work" But I know there are some diffrences. Fly wheels, oil pan, FED, Intake, Value Covers?

I should be on my way there now but I have burned a bunch of vacation already with the move and Christmas is coming soon.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

only diffrtence is the truck vs. car the intake and accesory drive is diffrent. and with the panther and Thunder birds the upper plenum is diffrent but only becuase it does nto have a picture of a horse on the top they flow the same
    Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
    Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

As long as you are swapping a long block (i.e. fully dressed 4.6 PI) you shouldn't have much trouble. The problem will lie in trying to swap a short block and swapping over the items you mentioned, valve covers etc.

There are 2 different versions of the 4.6 PI the Romeo (made in Romeo, Michigan) and Windsor (made in Windsor, Ontario Canada).
      Last edited by stangbanger; November 22, 2011, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post
        only diffrtence is the truck vs. car the intake and accesory drive is diffrent. and with the panther and Thunder birds the upper plenum is diffrent but only becuase it does nto have a picture of a horse on the top they flow the same

T-bird uses the non-PI 4.6, and the Crown victoria didnt get it until 2001(iirc). the 01-04 also has a slightly different engine in the mustang, using 8-thread spark plugs instead of 4, which ahd a habit of blowing out.

the non-PI loses about 45hp and similar torque, due to different heads, cams, and intake. also theaccessory drive is different betweenn the 96-98, 99-00, and 01-04 engines.
        Local person
        sigpic

Comment

Anybody know what year the trucks got the PI motor? I don't mind swaping stuff that fits if it saves me a few bucks, but when you have to buy new VC, flywheel etc. the savings gets spent pretty quick looks like there is a 99 mustang motor in a yard not to far away for $1125 according to car-part

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Is the dead motor in the car or is the engine bay empty. I've bought these types of cars with a dead engine and then you can just swap everything (sensors, etc) and the computer doesn't even know it got a new engine. It's certainly possible with an empty engine bay but you have to get fussier about the donor engine.

Dan

Comment

I was told its all there, the guy said he took the radiator and intake off but still has everything including the bolts. Will see tonight

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

trucks got the PI in 2001. but the used different accessories and intake manifolds.

Stick with a car PI engine. Just make sure to get it with valve covers, intake, etc. so you won't have to worry about romeo/ windsor differences.
                Last edited by stangbanger; November 22, 2011, 11:27 AM.

Comment

proceed with eyes wide open and plenty of research. The "modular" quite simply wasn't modular at all! There are something like 13 different 4.6 blocks. Surely the swaps have been done a million times and there's lotso websites showing the in's and outs.

I would NOT buy it if it's already apart unless you're intimately familiar with these cars. if it's "blown up" and as it was the day it broke - sweet - get a new long block and swap all the mustang stuff over.... but don't be surprised if you have to drill and tap a boss or two along the way.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyRodder View Post
                    T-bird uses the non-PI 4.6, and the Crown victoria didnt get it until 2001(iirc). the 01-04 also has a slightly different engine in the mustang, using 8-thread spark plugs instead of 4, which ahd a habit of blowing out.

the non-PI loses about 45hp and similar torque, due to different heads, cams, and intake. also theaccessory drive is different betweenn the 96-98, 99-00, and 01-04 engines.
                    i know this i was leaving out the NPI becuase i assumed he would just look for a 00+ engine any way
                    Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

John I am sure you are right about the already apart and I will take that into consideration. I might be able to make a pretty penny on this car so I might lower my standards a little I will not get something that is hacked or beat. It might take forever but I am willing to bet if I had to I could get my money back if I had to part it out.

I am willing to hear I told you so, if you are willing to help me out of the mess I'm (might) going to make

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                        proceed with eyes wide open and plenty of research. The "modular" quite simply wasn't modular at all! There are something like 13 different 4.6 blocks. Surely the swaps have been done a million times and there's lotso websites showing the in's and outs.

I would NOT buy it if it's already apart unless you're intimately familiar with these cars. if it's "blown up" and as it was the day it broke - sweet - get a new long block and swap all the mustang stuff over.... but don't be surprised if you have to drill and tap a boss or two along the way.
                        so true

mustangs mainly got the windosr engines wile the CVs and trucks got the romeo blocks. then there are the tenkid blocks for the DOHC 4.6 found in the early cobra and mk VIII
                        Last edited by Mater; November 22, 2011, 12:02 PM.

Comment

I'm not saying don't do it at all - I'm just saying - don't assume anything!
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                          X