No announcement yet.

car thieves just flat SUCK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to know you got it back, it could have been worse, but it's vehicular rape just the same.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

go to a body shop surply they sell the tilt collar and patches for punched lock areas in doors..
      the collar will cost as much as a j/y colume, but it'll fix the weak link..
      good luck.. sucks all around.

Comment

it is looking like i will have to do a j/y column, they broke the collar right below the wheel, but also broke the aluminum "shift ring"... the part that rotates with the shifter handle, and i have yet to find that part available...

for now though, at least until after christmas, it will stay a little tore up, and i will still be happy i have my truck back!!!!
        Last edited by 1badmonkey; December 1, 2011, 07:13 PM.
        Charles

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
          they make a collar for g.m. tilt colums NOW is a great time to install it..
          when my cars are at a shop. there is a 8x11 sheet of paper taped to wheel.. it says no brakes.. works better than any alarm
          the rental car agencies used those in the 80s

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post
            it is looking like i will have to do a j/y column, they broke the collar right below the wheel, but also broke the aluminum "shift ring"... the part that rotates with the shifter handle, and i have yet to find that part available...

for now though, at least until after christmas, it will stay a little tore up, and i will still be happy i have my truck back!!!!
            used to make a fortune [10 hours]doing theft recovery rebuilds on the old round columns at cadillac , even painted the new bowls

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post

have you talked to a bodyshop.. they'll know the surpliers for all the parts.. and more than likely have it on hand...

Comment

Glad you got it back !!

I had an 89 3/4 ton Suburban we used to tow a small enclosed race trailer. On the way back from a local race a u-joint started making noise. I made it to a freinds shop that was on the way. It was tall enough that we just crawled under it pulled the shaft and stuffed a rag in the tranny (auto) with a plastic bottle cut in half over that. He always left his work trucks & trailer parked in the lot so I had no worries letting it sit there. Drove in the next morning with new u-joints already on shaft and as I pulled in I saw all the tranny fluid on the ground, I just thought my rag came out. Soon I discovered a broken window and the steering column beat to death.

They had it started but couldn't move it !!

Comment

a lot of the stuff in the column must be discontinued

Comment

Car thief foiled story!

Years back we lived in a neighborhood with paved streets and curbs. Loren had been doing something to my '67 Mustang and had it out in the street parked at the curb. Some thieves got in and got it started and .....

Drove it off the blocks he had it on! HAHAHAHAHA
                    The blocks were on the curb side and I guess they didn't notice it.
                    They left tools in it with their name scratched on them but this was pre-internet so searching was not really an option.

At least they didn't get my baby!
                    Last edited by LORENSWIFE; December 2, 2011, 03:46 PM.
                    That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Thats why all my cars have wheel locks, kill switches, and red flashing alarm lights. Much harder to steal a car that wont start and the lights keep the neighborhood punks from breaking in looking for loose change in the ash tray. Cant stop the guy with a tow truck from taking it.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X