• Show
Clear All

• Fwd/v8 or Rwd/4banger

Whats more right in your book?

Front wheel drive v8?
    Rear wheel drive 4cyl?
    wont consider either?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

FWD V8 gets my vote (although the 4 popper RWD would be WAY easier to wrench on and hot rod)
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

weird question.

the only boxer on planet earth is getting RWD for 2012..first time since a borgward goliath.
      but the dohc, variable valve, direct injection, air dams, wings and mental midget......blah. ricer be gone.
      I would slap an old boxer in just for spite.

my dad drove an eldorado diesel v8 FWD . way out there..some control was not meant to keep. I feel bad to this day about his motivation. he was doing something futuristic in his own mind. That was early 80s, I was a boy. I witnessed him getting made fun of by a trucker buddy. I don't think his buddy knew he was hurting feelings and a serious quest to do something good. (that actually made the serious person I am- I NEVER want to encounter that embarassment again. EVER.)

sometimes RWD should just get its way with some engines.

so..
      depends on the 8 and the four cyl..

there is gas toronado etc..I guess they did alright. the inline four is an ass no matter where it is, that is alright as RWD.

a diesel v8 and any boxer..no games.make it RWD, or "weird" genius like subaru, or audi.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 23, 2011, 08:36 PM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Anybody know how an 08ish impala SS handles?

Brain, I wish they had a 60e and rwd just so I;d be able to change the plugs.

Comment

RWD every time. I can't remember which rental car I drove (Caddy??) that had a v8 - terrible torque steer.... or, put another way, I want a car that won't throw me in the ditch when I gas it.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Were looking for mom a new car. The maxima would pull every which way. Dad like the impala SS, he thought they were rwd. We never go nowhere as a family that we ride together, not enough to need a 4 door, but he wants one. She wants a maxima or camaro.

I started throwing the GTO out there. The G8 gt is a little out of price range.

Comment

Put a turbo on the 4, fixes the problem. Nothing fixes the fwd.
              I'm still learning

Comment

4 cyl RWD

the LS4 impala is ok if you do not try to hot rod it or drive it abusivly GM in all there wisdom thought it was a great idea to back the LS4 witht eh 4t65-e that blows up when backed with the N/A 3800 v6

and W-bodies handle like boats they take a lot of work to get to decent handling. my GTP is at decent and it has a full aftermarket suspention set up. the next step would be coil overs

Edit: SBG brout up torque steer. lets put it this way my supercharged W-body can doa right hand turn jut by flooring it with my hands off the steering wheel lol
                Last edited by Mater; November 23, 2011, 09:34 PM.
                Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

my brother is very happy with his 2008 impala ss ..the trans lives due to active fuel management ..nice car , but they don't make them anymore
                  the 3.9 impala is a very good car

Comment

Torque Management spidey? the reason 60es live for a while in silvys? All ines been pulled out, huge difference.

wouldn't think an 08 impala SS would be so much cheaper than a 08 g8 gt.

Any problems with the SS impy spidey?

I love the way my 4cyl, rwd 5spd s13 coupe handles, its just the sounds it makes that bothers me.
                    Last edited by kyhunter89; November 23, 2011, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                      my brother is very happy with his 2008 impala ss ..the trans lives due to active fuel management ..nice car , but they don't make them anymore
                      the 3.9 impala is a very good car
                      thought active fuel only worked at cruise not WOT where the trans gets the most abuse and tends to fail. most issues that come up on the local GP forum witht he GP GXP is hte forward bands snap and clushes burn up. all the issues they seem to have where under 100k and still under warrenty they got a new transmission
                      Last edited by Mater; November 24, 2011, 12:28 AM.
                      Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                      Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

besides a truck or turbo Hyundai Genesis, what new front engine 4cyl RWD is out there?
                        Last edited by Beagle; November 24, 2011, 07:42 AM.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

As far as the FWD V8, I was very happy with the '06 Monte SS I had. Great cruiser, surprising mileage, very comfortable. The Impala's interior is a notch or five better than what I had-the Impala got a re-do, the Monte just got new gauges. Killer low-end, good upper end. I think you'd be happier that route.
                          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

How about in the middle? Cadillac CTS - V6, RWD
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

the V8 is a billion times better than the chain stretching 3.6

the grand prix kids that think they got drag racers were very hard to understand ..and in a stock form , the 4t65 can take a lot of shit , but if you want to modd the car up , buy rwd , get a glide or a th 400 and have fun

Comment

Working...
                              X