GM Commuter Motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GM Commuter Motors

5.3 all the way. Aluminum or Iron it is a hugely torquey motor. 4.8's suck, trust me I drive one everyday.
    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

4.8 in a box nova would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
        5.3 all the way. Aluminum or Iron it is a hugely torquey motor. 4.8's suck, trust me I drive one everyday.
        the difference between awesome and suck is 30 cubic inches? who knew!!
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
          Originally posted by fahrenschnell
          the difference between awesome and suck is 30 cubic inches? who knew!!
          Amazing isn't it? Another fine example is Ford's 2.8L V-6 versus their 2.9L V-6. The 2.9L is much better.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Seth....

In a loaded to the gills truck like your work whip...you're right, it probably sucks.

It's sprightly as hell in a 1/2 ton 2wd truck though.

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I am biased toward the 5.3 mainly because it provides much more torque. The 4.8 pulls well at higher RPM, but in my 3/4 ton van it feels like it can't get out of its own way when accelerating from a stop. I have driven the same van with a 5.3 and was impressed with the way the motor pulled all that weight.

Pardon my rant about the 4.8, but 180,000 miles in 3 years, in the worlds slowest van and anyone would be a little sick of it.

I do imagine it would feel a lot better in a 3000 lb car or 1/2 ton truck.

Ooh... I know...put a BDS blower on the 4.8. ;D That would really wake that engine up.

http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/ART/LSI.jpg :o
              200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Well a Seville weighs 4100lbs so I'm thinking thats more along the lines of the Van than the truck. Anyway, I'm thinking Vortec upgrades are a bit more in my future with the new news of me getting my grandfathers mid 90's Chevy truck with probably an LO5
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                X