ADRL Pro Stock goes EFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADRL Pro Stock goes EFI

I missed this over the weekend, but it should be interesting.

Rules here: http://www.adrl.us/2011/12/competition/rules
    "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Getting an early seat...

I'm still learning

Comment

I think this was the cart pushing the horse. I think the Mountain Motor Pro Stock guys came to ADRL asking for this.

It is cool though. It will be interesting to see who decides to use EFI. I think the Braswells and Bob Books of the world will still have plenty of work.

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

LOL at Bob!

I think it'll still be a case of the have and the have-nots, but it will be interesting to see of any of the current have-nots can close the gap.
        "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Things, they are a changing.

I have a great deal of respect for the folks that can get those infernal leakers to work as well as they do. They are masters of their craft, which takes a great deal of time and effort to become. No doubt that there will be a place for carb tuners for a long time to come, but we are starting to see the erosion in the "carb only" mantra that has limited FI use.

This should be an interesting and instructive time...
          Last edited by Bob Holmes; December 5, 2011, 02:42 PM.
          I'm still learning

Comment

Bob, I agree. I just think there will be more guys 'fraid of making the switch than not. These mondo 830-840ci engines are going to have some bad mother injectors in them!
            Last edited by Brian Lohnes; December 5, 2011, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Brian, I'm right there with you. It'll take a couple of guys willing to step out and show that they'll work, before the masses follow. Its pretty much the normal creep of technology. You need a couple of early adopters.

If you saw what some of the Moran injectors put out, you'd be stunned. I was going to try to use them on a Nitro EFI setup, talk about a sprinkler on a fire hose. WOW.
              I'm still learning

Comment

Good point on the Moran injectors, those had slipped my mind. What's funny is that sportsman racers have been doing this stuff for years with fuel injection. Hell, look at this month's Car Craft to see the Aussie door slammer that has run 5's @ 260mph with efi. The fact that this is even a big deal is kind of a sad statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                  The fact that this is even a big deal is kind of a sad statement.
                  You're singing my song...

The history of american auto racing (at least over the last 50 years) is squelching innovation. The examples are to numerous to list.

The most heinous in my mind is what has become of the Indy 500...but that's far off topic from the ADRL and their "heroic" rule change allowing the use of a fueling system that is standard fair for any auto manufacturer not located in India.
                  I'm still learning

Comment

I think even the Tata Nano is fuel injected.

Comment

Damn...missed it by that much!!
                      I'm still learning

Comment

that is not pro stock then

Pro stocks are limited to dual 4-barrel carburetor (naturally aspirated) intake systems. runners. The intake manifold and heads are open to modification. The most effective intake manifold configuration has continued to be the "tunnel ram" for nearly 40 years. The carburetors are raised above the engine; the length and configuration of the intake passages ("runners") is critical to horsepower output. The tall intake manifolds predicate the large hood scoop that is a signature of the Pro Stock class.

The rules that forbid forced induction of any sort, plus allowing head modifications have resulted in Pro Stock heads being the most sophisticated in any drag racing category, with valve lifts in the 1" region.
                        Last edited by SpiderGearsMan; December 5, 2011, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                          You're singing my song...

The history of american auto racing (at least over the last 50 years) is squelching innovation. The examples are to numerous to list.

ther has to be a balance.. and your comment leaves the fact that if you let anything go.. so not to "squelch innovation" it will always be the guy/team with the most money wins.. or let me rephase that, the guy/team with the most resources wins.. be it factory help, contacts, or more engineer think tank..
                          you can't let anything go.. and expect anything other than that outcome.. even F1 has this problem..
                          funny, everyone thinks it's great that all racing bodies are going efi.. and thats all fine and good, untill holley is chapter 7..
                          remember every action has a reaction..
                          untill efi is the system of choice of the lower hobby.. lower racing, it's only gonna jack the cost up for everyone, remember, volume is good for keeping cost down..
                          sending the carb to an early grave is not good for the hobby or racing as a whole.. no one in the stands are gonna care that pro mod on the track is efi or not..
                          unless they gonna plow N.E.D in the winter and race these cold start wonders.. it's gonna tax teams that just don't have the funds to change over.. another case of have and have nots..
                          how in todays track car count numbers anyone can see this as a good idea NOW..

Comment

How is EFI hurting car counts again? The nights with the best attendance, test and tune are freaking full of street cars with....wait for it....wait for it....EFI.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                              How is EFI hurting car counts again? The nights with the best attendance, test and tune are freaking full of street cars with....wait for it....wait for it....EFI.
                              so you are say'n that every team has the funds/people that this change isn't a make or break it for them..

Comment

Working...
                              X